Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 7:40 pm

I've been having problems with eating recently. Pretty much if food is served to me, I'll eat it, but otherwise I don't eat. I've tried setting an alarm to make sure I eat lunch, but I'm apt to ignore it because I don't feel like eating at the time, and then I don't eat until my mom makes dinner. That seems to be my main problem, that I don't feel like eating and so I don't make myself anything to eat. Does anyone have any ideas how I can motivate myself to eat?

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 7:44 pm

Does the smell of food inspire you?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 7:48 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Does the smell of food inspire you?

Not really, no.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 8:02 pm

What’s your favorite food?

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 8:09 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What’s your favorite food?

That varies based on my mood. Part of my problem is that when I don't feel like eating, nothing sounds good.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 10:23 pm

Maybe you aren't active enough to be hungry very often. I only eat one main meal a day and I'm fine. Low appetite could also be indicative of depression though, so keep an eye on this if it does seem out of character for you.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 1:36 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Maybe you aren't active enough to be hungry very often. I only eat one main meal a day and I'm fine. Low appetite could also be indicative of depression though, so keep an eye on this if it does seem out of character for you.

I suppose that might be the case. I typically have a small appetite, so I'm not concerned that it might be a symptom of anything else, my parents and I are just concerned about making sure I get enough nutrients. I probably ought to start taking a multivitamin to help with that.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 6:46 pm

It may just be that you don't eat a lot. My mother really only eat at dinner time as well other than that she pretty much nibbles on bits of food through out the day. When she's active she still doesn't eat that much. Occasionally she gets hungry and eats a lot but normally very little.

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

15 Oct 2019, 7:22 pm

If your interest in things you used to enjoy is less and/or your sleep patterns have changed, it could be depression.

Eating is important. Maybe make a rule that you have to least 5 bites of something before you can do ____ (fill the blank with something you enjoy like video games or whatever). And keep easy foods around like frozen entrees, carrot sticks, etc. If I have something I can just grab and eat like an apple, that helps.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2019, 2:13 pm

As long as you get the nutrients you need when you do eat frequency doesn't matter, in fact the less you eat the longer you live! We are surrounded by food in the West and far more likely to overeat than undereat unless there is a psychological issue making it deliberate because of poor body image. Quality is more important than quantity. Many people who overeat are still undernourished because they are making poor choices because of the dysfunctional system that has grown up around food where people seeking to make profits by overprocessing food have distorted our ideas about what food is. Eat enough vegetables and you can't go far wrong. Use spices to add interest.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

19 Oct 2019, 6:52 am

I have the same problem from time to time. I get bored by food and when I am depressed cooking and eating turns my stomach. My weight drops and I get nervous.

I fall back into my schedule, or eating rules, and just do it. Eventually, my distaste for food passes and I start eating again. Good luck, don't get sick.

CBD oil gives me the munchies and is helpful with eating.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 7:08 am

Could just be your small size (and small food intake needs) combined with inactivity. Though actual depression could be a factor.

Try getting out, and walking, and getting aerobic activity in. Could help with both increasing your appetite, and with getting rid of depression. Maybe.