Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 10:59 am

It certainly has that effect on me. People often talk about experiencing a buzz, but my body seems to just skip ahead to the energy crash part. Depending on the amount, it can either make me feel relaxed and slow down my reaction time or so exhausted that I end up having a nap shortly after. This has been particularly noticeable during times where I have been alert and then quickly changed to feeling drowsy after drinking coffee. I know that there is a stereotype of students drinking energy drinks and coffee to stay awake in order to study at late hours. However, that personally isn't an option. It simply doesn't work.

Energy drinks or other products that are both high in caffeine and sugar cause a rather strange feeling within me. The sugar tries to invoke jittery energy, but the caffeine makes me want to sleep. As a result, I become disorientated, unfocused and switch between wanting to run about to curling up in bed (plus vice versa) repeatedly for a while. I can't learn anything when I'm in this state.

When I drink coffee with little to no sugar, it usually results in feeling sleepy a few minutes later after consumption. I can't study a topic whilst drinking coffee because it'll either make me fall asleep or too chilled out (making me want to do a more leisurely activity instead).

Previously I used to wonder if the drowsiness was due to other factors (such as temperature of the coffee). However, I have altered different variables before and it's always had the same effect irregardless. My reaction to caffeine could be down to my fast metabolism. Whilst it's somewhat unusual, it's not unheard of for some people with a fast metabolism to process caffeine at a speed so quick that the surge of energy typically associated with caffeine does not outwardly physically manifest. Experiencing a crash is normal, it usually occurs after a buzz. I've noticed that if I have coffee quite late on in the day (when metabolism begins to slow down), I can experience a buzz/ jolt...but only for a few seconds (I've timed this out of curiosity before) and then I'm hit with the drowsiness.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 11:12 am

Well, from what I've understood, caffeine gives this quick energy spike to most people, yet once it passes the person will be even more tired than they were before they had caffeine. This is how it seems to go for most people, but I've heard some others say the same as you, so maybe some just don't get the spike at all and just get tired instead?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 12:42 pm

I have heard it makes some people sleepy.

It hardly affects me at all.
I think maybe when I have too many caffeinated drinks throughout the week I get a little edgy.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 1:25 pm

I'm not strongly affected either way by caffeine. It wakes me up a bit and if I have it too late in the day, I can't sleep that night, but it doesn't fill me with energy and I never get that "crash" afterward.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

15 Oct 2019, 3:04 pm

Thought it was just me! Yes, I get sleepy after drinking strong coffee and have been laughed at (in a friendly way) before for having a large greek coffee and getting all dozy straight away.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 3:31 pm

Not typically, but it doesn't always wake me up.

To be fair, I'm also a person who's passed out after taking multiple illicit stimulants because when I'm exhausted nothing will keep me awake.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:14 pm

Caffeine wakes me up, but not all the time, there seems to be more powerful thing to keep me tired, maybe my old mattress.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

I had to quit caffeine because I developed high blood pressure and chest pains from it. Even though I crave it probably every day, my blood pressure is back to normal range like it always had been before the spike and the chest pains were not from a bad heart.

But I did drink coffee and tea for years. Coffee would boost my energy for 30 minutes or less and then make me tired. I could make a pot of french press coffee and drink it pretty much right before bed and have no problem falling asleep at all. Even though I crave caffeine, I will say I definitely feel better and overall I have more energy than when I was drinking coffee. Caffeine did have a valuable advantage to me in that it did elevate my mood. Especially tea more than coffee. Without it I do feel borderline melancholy at times.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Oct 2019, 9:40 pm

Caffeine doesn't really affect me at all, one way or the other. My sleep has always been terrible, but I remember in school/uni, it was pretty normal for me to have a coffee and then fall asleep in class shortly after. For about the last 10 years now I've had 1-2 coffees a day.

I've had the idea that drugs in general don't affect me as much. Paracetamol, for example, does absolutely nothing for me. Going to the dentist was always a nightmare, as the painkiller they used to inject never worked, they would keep pumping in more and more of it, and the dental work was still killing me, I was still feeling every little thing.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Oct 2019, 10:11 pm

Caffeine wakes me up a little. I sometimes take Vivarin which is a caffeine pill to help wake me up on days when I have to be up early to do something.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

18 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm

Not really. Caffeine produces some energy in me and I can ride a high for at least a little while. Then I crash and crash hard ... then that energy is all gone.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 12:30 pm

nick007 wrote:
Caffeine wakes me up a little. I sometimes take Vivarin which is a caffeine pill to help wake me up on days when I have to be up early to do something.
I don't really feel a high or a crash when I take Vivarin. I'm sometimes fine after the Vivarin wears off. Other times I do feel a tired but I don't think I'm anymore tired than if I wouldn't of taken the Vivarin at all. I took two Vivarin 1ce & I felt hyper so I stick with one.

GonHunter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2019, 12:40 pm

I get even more energetic. I even avoid drinking coffee, or end up drinking when I need to be more awake.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 7:54 pm

Not at all, but energy drinks have caused me to become constipated to the point where I am avoiding energy drinks as much as I can.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 10:06 pm

I've found over the past few months that caffeine does make me tired. I've decided to do an experiment on myself and drink tea an hour before bed because of it. The caffeine actually helps me to sleep through the night.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 10:40 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I've found over the past few months that caffeine does make me tired. I've decided to do an experiment on myself and drink tea an hour before bed because of it. The caffeine actually helps me to sleep through the night.
This is something I wonder about. If tea contains caffeine & tea is stereotyped to be calming/relaxing & helps people sleep. Why is caffeine like coffee & soda stereotyped to be a stimulant that can make people jittery :?