Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 11:00 am

I'm better at being sarcastic than I am at picking up on sarcasm from other people.

kmarie57
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Oct 2019, 2:28 pm

I am like this too. I can sometimes pick up on sarcasm though.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2019, 5:53 pm

I don't use it much here but love it IRL, so does the wife - we still bond a lot over off-kilter humour. Our son caught up on it and all our friends LOVED him, because they've never met a sarcastic 5-year-old before :lol:

I get it from others cca 70% of the time - it can be harder online.

Cheeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2019, 12:43 pm

I'm sarcastic about 70% of the time, but I do struggle to tell if someone else is being sarcastic or not.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2019, 1:17 pm

I can speak fluent sarcasm but, unless I am familiar with someone, I don't know whether they are speaking sarcastically or not.

Sounds like this is pretty common among the autism tribe.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Oct 2019, 3:43 pm

That's 100% me. I can sometimes be sarcastic, but it's near-impossible for me to pick up on it in other people.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 7:25 am

I can usually tell when someone is being sarcastic.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 7:32 am

I can usually tell when someone is sarcastic but I have issues with making it clear to others that I am being sarcastic. Apparently I often just sound dead serious which leads to temporarily upsetting/confusing people.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:06 pm

lvpin wrote:
I can usually tell when someone is sarcastic but I have issues with making it clear to others that I am being sarcastic. Apparently I often just sound dead serious which leads to temporarily upsetting/confusing people.

OMg .... can so identify with this one.

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:11 pm

This is so common, yes sarcasm has its own language . Sometimes fun and friendly sometimes just mean.. have often times it passes over my head. And occassional for NTs will stage it with a preface
So it doesn't go over their head , i hope ? .. but 98 % of the time out of my mouth it is generally well meant , or as i write "tongue in cheek" , just incase , sometimes sarcasm doesnt always translate well

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 5:25 am

Jakki wrote:
This is so common, yes sarcasm has its own language . Sometimes fun and friendly sometimes just mean.. have often times it passes over my head. And occassional for NTs will stage it with a preface
So it doesn't go over their head , i hope ? .. but 98 % of the time out of my mouth it is generally well meant , or as i write "tongue in cheek" , just incase , sometimes sarcasm doesnt always translate well

I say I'm just kidding straight after if I realise they didn't notice. For example a week ago a girl in my class asked if she could sit next to me in a free period so we could study together. I said no and meant it sarcastically but put way too much force into it and just came off as aggressive. Luckily, I then immediately smiled and said I was kidding and she accepted this.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 6:43 am

lvpin wrote:
I say I'm just kidding straight after if I realise they didn't notice. For example a week ago a girl in my class asked if she could sit next to me in a free period so we could study together. I said no and meant it sarcastically but put way too much force into it and just came off as aggressive. Luckily, I then immediately smiled and said I was kidding and she accepted this.

I was going to say I don't use sarcasm, but I have --- like you said ---- it the situations where a person is asking something (e.g. to be polite) and the answer is obviously "yes". Like you said, I know a person is supposed to make a facial indication, but where's the fun in that?

There is an element of truth in sarcasm, so being as unassuming as I am, I don't "know", but I do know (don't I?). For example, a co-worker says "well, why don't we give it to that group to do?" And the underlying idea that it needs to get sorted out is spot on, so the sarcasm is that my workplace is ineffective and nobody is going to do anything. How is that funny?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 10:08 am

lvpin wrote:
Jakki wrote:

Awe..... you are a nice teacher......perhaps even some intuitiveness,if thats a word? Ability to intuit ?
Just a kindness ...beware , could get you a reputation ..... :)