Diagnosed with autism. How do I know if it's real?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sentil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Oct 2019, 12:56 am

I took the ADOS-2 and answered with a bit of an autistic skew out of fear of wasting $2000. My psychologist said I have autism, DSM-IV F.84 Level 2.

In my mind, I have no issue. I feel extremely normal and in some respects superior to others.
But I also know that I am severely lacking in the ability to socialize, live independently (I can't drive and have issues with cooking my own food/taking care of my hygiene), and I have missed out on virtually every developmental milestone there is.

I tell people/friends I have autism, and they just fall silent. Some of them are doubtful, but they, too, are diagnosed autistic, so they are probably just as bad at telling what's going on as I am.

Is autism just the opposite of schizophrenia? If it is, then I definitely have it.
From some of my unintentional responses in retrospect on the ADOS-2, I think I there is a good chance I am autistic because there was no way of knowing what the autistic response was.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 Oct 2019, 3:57 am

I see no reason not to believe your diagnosis based on the information you gave. Feeling normal is normal. Autism is not a mental illness, it's a difference in brain functioning. Poor executive functioning (e.g. inability to drive or cook) and superior skills in some areas where one is talented are very typical here.

Autism is not the opposite of schizophrenia because they are different kinds of entities - schizophrenia is a mental illness, autism is a neurodevelpomental disorder. They happen on different levels.

I once came across some claims that schizophrenic people score high on tendency to jump to conclusions while autistic individuals tend to question their beliefs much more than typical people. However, I can't recall the source nor can I find where I read it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 4:07 am

Your diagnosis is actually from DSM-V.

Sentil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2019, 9:04 pm

magz wrote:
I see no reason not to believe your diagnosis based on the information you gave. Feeling normal is normal. Autism is not a mental illness, it's a difference in brain functioning. Poor executive functioning (e.g. inability to drive or cook) and superior skills in some areas where one is talented are very typical here.

Autism is not the opposite of schizophrenia because they are different kinds of entities - schizophrenia is a mental illness, autism is a neurodevelopmental disorder. They happen on different levels.

I once came across some claims that schizophrenic people score high on tendency to jump to conclusions while autistic individuals tend to question their beliefs much more than typical people. However, I can't recall the source nor can I find where I read it.

But I have seen numerous studies that schizophrenics have more white matter in their brain, while Autistic peoples more gray-matter. I think that both are merely diseases that would result in early death in the ancestral environment.

Schizophrenics are tilted to the left, and Autistic to the right.
Both diseases are two-sides of the same coin. Both are potentially lethal. I have noticed that Schizophrenics and Autistics have a tendency to die early, even in the modern world. The difficulty of life as a mentally disabled is too much. Both schizophrenics and autistic peoples inherit superior mental abilities beyond the norm (greater disconnection/rational thought in autistic, greater attention/mental strength in schizophrenic).

More than anything, I think a Schizophrenic in a Caucasian population would be exposed to too much prenatal estrogen for their intelligence. An autistic would be exposed to too much prenatal testosterone for their intelligence. I think this is why there is a correlation between Aspergers and body flexibility. How else if not for something that impacts the entire human body? Prenatal chemicals.

I have also seen studies that men and women with autism score poorly on conventional IQ tests, but they score extremely high on the Raven's Progressive Matrices. Higher than Neurotypicals and Aspergers.

I think, according to these boundaries I've set-up to define autism, I have it. My IQ is 135 when it's supposed to be 87 according to the amount of prenatal testosterone I've been exposed to. The feminization of my brain only handles 116.8 IQ. If Autism is somehow not this, I don't know what I am.

The typical European male works like this:

90 IQ-100 IQ-110 IQ, and he has a feminized head to handle 140 IQ
90 IQ is the male in "poor" health (sedentary, etc). 100 IQ is medium health. 110 IQ is excellent health (well hydrated, just finished running, healthy diet) *There are wild-card dips in intelligence like being tired/sick that drop a person 15 IQ points below their "poor health rating*

It probably runs like this all the way back to the first sexual reproduction.

but I am like this

115-125-135 IQ, and I have the feminized head to handle 116.8 IQ

I should be following the white model and have an IQ of 67-77-87, but my brain is whopper-jawed forever.
Funnily enough, I have a half-brother that likely suffers from schizophrenia, as does my dad.

If you want to measure your own forehead and IQ, here are some ravens tests with scores. Take about an hour without any pressure. Neurotypicals likely aren't impacted by stress as much as a Neurodiverse would be. I believe that Autistic people are more sentient, aside from intelligence, than Neurotypicals. Normal lights and sounds become nauseating/upsetting/frightening. This effect probably is different from person-to-person as each autistic is smarter/more-or-less feminized than the other, so the eyes see differently. They become disconnected from the world around them, and instead become connected to the life-support systems that all organisms live through (take another breath, blink your eyes, listen to this and react, feel this, think another thought, etc.) It likely moves all the way down to your lungs/heart. What is seemingly automatic may not be. I believe Neurotypicals are less sentient, so each action they take isn't registered on the level of a Neurodiverse. They are not as connected to their internal thinking, and instead the external world, so if they were to sit in a cold block of ice for many hours, they would have less issue than a Neurodiverse. I believe this extends down to mental imaging, which is genuinely painful/difficult to do. The higher tolerance for pain in the face of increased intelligence, the higher tolerance for mental imaging (higher digit span, etc). So if you have an IQ of 187 but the masculine face of IQ 100, you only have access IQ 100 working memory at most. IQ 100 is what will show-up on an IQ test that measures working memory. I am not sure about this though, but it's what I've seen in real life where people as smart as me somehow had a great deal more of working memory.

http://splushka.com/intellect.htm

The lines in this picture show that the more primitive races of man have lower, more masculine/primitive features.
The Arab male is feminized to 125 IQ. The average Arab IQ is 85. The European male is feminized to 140 IQ. The average European IQ is 100. These are just the harsh facts of life in this world. We evolved up from bacteria, so, of course, there are inferior and superior forms of life when it comes to capability. I am sorry that it is racist, but it is true.

What I want to know, more than anything, is does this theory resonate with the autistic community on this website? I believe it is applicable to males and females because females are just modified males with a duplicate X chromosome. (XY, Male. XX, Female.) and you can see this, if you stare hard enough at any couple, that women essentially came from men over a time span of 1.5 billion years from the first cell to sexually reproduce.

Last edited by Sentil on 24 Oct 2019, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sentil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Oct 2019, 9:41 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Your diagnosis is actually from DSM-V.

On my paperwork it says DSM-IV, but you are probably right and I just need to update my location on DSM-IV to DSM-V. Thank you as well for this information.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2019, 11:02 pm

Sentil wrote:
I took the ADOS-2 and answered with a bit of an autistic skew out of fear of wasting $2000. My psychologist said I have autism, DSM-IV F.84 Level 2.

In my mind, I have no issue. I feel extremely normal and in some respects superior to others.
But I also know that I am severely lacking in the ability to socialize, live independently (I can't drive and have issues with cooking my own food/taking care of my hygiene), and I have missed out on virtually every developmental milestone there is.

I tell people/friends I have autism, and they just fall silent. Some of them are doubtful, but they, too, are diagnosed autistic, so they are probably just as bad at telling what's going on as I am.

Is autism just the opposite of schizophrenia? If it is, then I definitely have it.
From some of my unintentional responses in retrospect on the ADOS-2, I think I there is a good chance I am autistic because there was no way of knowing what the autistic response was.

If I were you, I would look it up in the DSM, and honestly assess myself. If it matched his diagnosis, GREAT! If it didn't, and you don't like the diagnosis, ask the doctor how he came to his assessment. Maybe he saw something you didn't, or had some benchmark, or the criteria are not in the context you understand.

But yeah, it sounds like you are autistic. With a lot of the syndromes, you miss milestones. With some, there are problems with taking care of yourself. ALL of them have a social deficit.

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 4:31 am

Hi Sentil,

Did you find parts of the ADOS-2 a bit "babyish"?

A Level 2 on the ADOS-2 isn't mild, that indicates that you didn't just meet the minimum criteria, you are probably firmly on the spectrum.

Sentil wrote:

I have also seen studies that men and women with autism score poorly on conventional IQ tests, but they score extremely high on the Raven's Progressive Matrices. Higher than Neurotypicals and Aspergers.

That's actually not quite true. If you check the research ASD folks actually perform better than NTs on some sub tests of standardised Weschler IQ tests like "block design", "similarities" and "matrix reasoning", but tend to do worse on processing speed and working memory subtests on the same tests. The SPM-58 (Raven's Progressive Matrices) is all about pattern spotting and breaking down complex patterns in to their component parts. Things autistic people tend to be good at.

I understand that you are trying to make sense of this diagnosis, but I had trouble following all the things you wrote about IQ and testosterone/ feminization/ sedentaryness /race. It all got a bit muddled for me.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 4:39 am

My grandmother was DX schizophrenia but I wonder if ASD wouldn't have fit better, or alongside. I score very well on traditional IQ tests and have since childhood. My results are similar to what aquafelix wrote. My grandmother outlived all my other relatives and I hope to live a very long time myself, even though I am also left-handed (which has a higher morbidity rate). I made/make sleep, nutrition and exercise my special interests from time to time to ensure I keep up my health.

Welcome to the Club. I find out later this month if I am officially in it.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 8:55 am

Autism used to be called "childhood schizophrenia"

Autism is not the opposite of schizophrenia

Autism is similar to schizophrenia in some ways

Sentil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Oct 2019, 12:09 pm

aquafelix wrote:
Hi Sentil,

Did you find parts of the ADOS-2 a bit "babyish"?

A Level 2 on the ADOS-2 isn't mild, that indicates that you didn't just meet the minimum criteria, you are probably firmly on the spectrum.

Sentil wrote:

That's actually not quite true. If you check the research ASD folks actually perform better than NTs on some sub tests of standardised Weschler IQ tests like "block design", "similarities" and "matrix reasoning", but tend to do worse on processing speed and working memory subtests on the same tests. The SPM-58 (Raven's Progressive Matrices) is all about pattern spotting and breaking down complex patterns in to their component parts. Things autistic people tend to be good at.

I understand that you are trying to make sense of this diagnosis, but I had trouble following all the things you wrote about IQ and testosterone/ feminization/ sedentaryness /race. It all got a bit muddled for me.

That's understandable. It feels like a word soup.
I did find parts of the ADOS-2 extremely babyish, but I did it anyway because I knew what it was measuring was real.

Some of the objects that my psychiatrist brought out during the break were obviously just for children and children alone. But I believe the IQ of someone with autism is actually as high as the raven's matrices say it is. I think working memory is just a measure of how much intelligence is submerged in feminization, and you can't have good processing speed if you can't move your eyes and hands as fast as a neurotypical version of you.

I don't think that the matrices are unique for people with autism at all. It's the same puzzle with one solution. You can either solve it and understand it or you can't. There's no highly specific way of thinking that helps, just intelligence. If it were any other way, reaction time, a crude physiological proxy for IQ, wouldn't correlate with matrices success. I think of the matrices as closer to visual math problems than anything else. If you aren't awake enough, you won't be able to solve it. It's the same thing when a cat isn't smart enough to wrap itself in a blanket/turn on a home heater for warmth. Just in human beings.

Whenever someone with autism is actually thinking during an IQ test, that's when they score well. But there are neurotypical tests mixed-in that drag the actual IQ of someone with autism below the average neurotypical due to neurotypicals having more feminization for their intelligence, so they can be successful in working memory/processing speed (things that matter and correlate heavily with, but aren't a true measure of, IQ).

If you got a guy with 125 IQ feminization and 115 IQ and his working memory came out at 115, but then you had a 160 IQ autistic male on the matrices with 100 IQ feminization, and his WMI came out at 100, which person is really smarter? I have, at best, 117 IQ working memory, but my cranial capacity is above 117 IQ.