Accidentally sounding passive aggressive.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2019, 5:51 pm

My tone of voice isn't always fitting to what I'm trying to communicate.

Sometimes when I'm genuinely supporting an idea or suggestion, my inflection can apparently make my words come across as passive aggressive. Likewise, if I'm not incredibly excited for something (but still engaged in it) then it can seem as though I'm uninterested.

Interestingly, people have described my voice as both melodic yet flat. Not monotone, but it has a certain consistency to it. A lilted voice. I tend to rely more on using my hands and overall body language when trying to express complex emotions or otherwise ones which my voice might potentially give the wrong impression on. This is why I have been referred to as an animated person before.

How I behave seems to be slightly polarising. I've been told "You're like an open book, it's so easy to read you that it's actually quite amusing" but I've also had others remark "You seem a little reclusive and closed off, I just can't seem to get a read on you at all". :chin:

Eternal_Enigma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Oct 2019, 7:01 pm

Yeah i sort of have that issue. I constantly get told how i'm acting by other people i'm having conversation with. For instance I may ask a question about what they are talking about but it is perceived as condescending even though that was not my intent. It sucks! Also, I think the way I interpret what they're saying may be a bit off. Idk?! People......