John Roberts Will Not Allow Mitch McConnell To Prevent

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm

Full Title:
John Roberts Will Not Allow Mitch McConnell To Prevent A Trump Impeachment Trial

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/john-roberts-mitch-mcconnell-trump-impeachment-trial.html

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

Apparently, the Constitution doesn't require there to be an impeachment trial in the Senate.

Or this article would of mentioned it?

McConnel can block or delay any trial?

No trial, no Justice Roberts.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 2:30 pm

Here is one answer from Reason website …

Can McConnell Refuse to Hold a Senate Trial
https://reason.com/2019/09/25/can-mccon ... ate-trial/

"The Senate is empowered to have a trial, not mandated to have a trial. If the Senate wants to take action against an officer, it would need to go through the constitutionally specified process of holding a trial, but if the Senate is content to allow an officer to remain in place it is not clear that the Senate needs to follow any particular procedure".

So, it appears it would be legal for McConnell to block or delay a trial.

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 10:51 pm

At this point, I just wish that the Democrats would either "put up or shut up" regarding impeachment. By this I mean an actual impeachment inquiry (voted on by house members, allowing both sides to present evidence/question people) rather than the current "process" where only one side can ask questions (and those in secret) with selective leaking.

We've had years of "We are going to impeach", "We have all the evidence we need to impeach", etc. messages from them, yet they seem unwilling/unable to follow through with their threats/claims instead changing their stated reason as to WHY they believe he should be impeached and starting the series of claims again, making me wonder if they really have any actual evidence.

The problem for them is that it feels like they must be close to making some of their supporters start to feel sympathy for Trump, as they could soon start to see it as more like an attempt at bullying him rather than seeking some form of justice. Then again, after all the claims they have made in the past, they also can't exactly say "sorry, we were wrong", either.

Of course, this is based on what is seen/heard in Australia. The experience in the USA may differ.