Page 1 of 6 [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 6:45 am

My phobia is fibrous materials. I thought it was b/c a parent threatened me with a wooden spoon as a child, but maybe it's simply sensory related. I avoid popsicle sticks, paper cups (non-waxed), paper straws, watermelon and some apples --- although I am now able to eat most apples. Certain paper textures (the between of smooth and rough).

If I am highly stressed, an emotional event in a book or TV show will trigger deja vu. I've read it's protective: oh, I've read/seen this before = feeling of assurance.

lvpin wrote:
Again this one sounds odd but to an extent, things going well. When I was younger I had a weird belief that things going well for me now must mean either a. it is all actually a lie or b. bad things are coming to balance it because there is some weird plan for me to be unhappy

My answer for myself is b. I still feel that way sometimes. My AS coach asked me to relax the other day and I couldn't --- I was afraid I'd be squooshed.

Fnord wrote:
Major trigger events with me are (1) being lied to, and (2) being lied about.
From these, I can also be triggered by someone (3) taking credit for my work, or (4) blaming me for their problems (which are almost always direct results of the choices they have made).

For me, (1) and (4) incense me. I shutdown for (2) and (3) so I guess those are triggers in that way. I count some of the (1) work instances as life traumas (where the lie contributed to exclusion and loss of income), and the (4) mostly past emotional abuse from a parent --- well, I'm working on that.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 6:57 am

I have always hated putting cardboard or paper in my mouth. The sensation it gives makes me shudder.
McDonalds now use paper straws so I have kinda avoided calling in. Plastic is fine for me. But cardboard in my mouth makes me cringe.
Could this be a sensory issue?

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 7:16 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
I have always hated putting cardboard or paper in my mouth. The sensation it gives makes me shudder.
McDonalds now use paper straws so I have kinda avoided calling in. Plastic is fine for me. But cardboard in my mouth makes me cringe.
Could this be a sensory issue?

Teasing: Did your parent threaten you with a wooden spoon too?

Yes, my unprofessional diagnosis is: sensory.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 7:57 am

Nope. Not with a wooden spoon.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 12:19 pm

I’ve been hit with many wooden spoons and some belts.

Triggers for me:

1. Not being taken seriously
2. Sort of the same as one, but being talked down to
3. Someone touching me when I’m not expecting it. When I was waiting in line at a grocery store, a cashier apparently needed to get by me and she grabbed me around the waist as a way to get my attention to walk by. Not cool.
4. Preachy, religious people
5. Loud noises

There are various other things I won’t go into here, but it sucks when they are unavoidable and come up regularly in the environment or conversation.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 9:46 pm

being called "fa***t." or "queer." or "liberal." or "snowflake." or "halfbreed." [or lots of other epithets] yelling. the sound of weapons. the sound of bees buzzing close by.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 9:54 pm

When lil dipshits act like I have to believe whatever the f**k they tell me, but they don't believe what I said.

Wrongful accusations

Overreaction to something I did

Loud noise

"Huh", "what"

"Can you", as if , if you, "can", you have to

"May I help you?", Like ass holes dragged my worthless corpse out of a burning building

Touching

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2019, 11:10 am

Vomit, automatic toilets, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, germs, darkness, babies, children, crowds.

Bogenbroom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Feb 2020, 8:29 pm

I get extremely anxious if I watch someone use a tool the wrong way or use an obviously wrong tool for the job. I feel rage building if it goes on too long.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2020, 10:59 pm

^^^welcome to WP :alien:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 8:09 pm

The Police (music band)
Crinkle sounds
The colour orange
A certain shade of turquoise
Any combination of 12's and 9's
Doorbells
Postal Delivery
String Beans
Butter Knives
HR Puff n Stuff
Breathing in my ear
Motels
The Wizard of Oz flying monkeys
Falling through ice
Sunshine on snow
Peppermint
Agoraphobia
Helplessness
17th of February

These are just my "unusual" ones. I have many more that I'd consider less rare.

I'm wondering if people who have synaesthesia are more prone to phobia, because subconscious associations are made between concepts. For example, I fear 9's primarily because of their colour.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:05 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I fear 9's primarily because of their colour.

not to provoke your fears, but can you tell me what color they are?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:10 pm

9's are a fleshy pinky salmon colour. Eeek. There are reasons why that colour bothers me and reasons why nines bother me, so put them together and it's a bad scene. Especially with 12's such as 12/09, 09/12, or clock times.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:28 pm

did you know that 9 is the biblical symbol representing satan?

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:32 pm

What is your source for that?

Because nothing I found states that 9 represents Satan, just to show the first result I got :

Quote:
The Meaning of Numbers: The Number 9
Used 49 times in Scripture, the number 9 symbolizes divine completeness or conveys the meaning of finality. Christ died at the 9th hour of the day, or 3 p.m., to make the way of salvation open to everyone. The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) is the only one of God's annual Feast days of worship that requires believers to fast for one day. This special day, considered by many Jews to be the holiest of the year, begins at sunset on day 9 of the seventh Hebrew month (Leviticus 23:32).

The number 9 also represents the fruits of God's Holy Spirit, which are Faithfulness, Gentleness, Goodness, Joy, Kindness, Long suffering, Love, Peace and Self-control (Galatians 5:22 - 23).

(...)

Last edited by Sigbold on 08 Feb 2020, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2020, 11:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
did you know that 9 is the biblical symbol representing satan?

I didn't know that. It bothers me because of flashbacks of things associated with nine, and also the colour.

As I think you know I have issues with the letter P as well. Interestingly, it's like a backward nine.