Asperger Syndrome, and problems with cooking?

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 2:05 pm

It seems that in my case it comes rather from laziness ;-)

Since my mother died, I rely mainly on fast food bars and canteens where you buy food by weight, very popular in my country, Poland among all social classes, although buying in canteens is expensive.

And recently I started buying cans with ready meals, they are cans from military nutrition rations, because the company that makes them for our Polish armed forces and our boy/girl scouts sells them also in supermarkets, i bought mine in Kaufland(german megastore chain xD) for example I like pea soup, it tastes almost like the one made by my late mother, my mum soups was class in itself, but this military can are next best of kind :-)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 2:15 pm

I'd decided I'd have cheese on toast , and eggy bread this week, as I'd not had that for ages . Eggy bread- soggy mess.
Cheese on toast- lost track of time until the smell of burning cheese on toast reached my nostrils . I thought I'd put a good amount of cheese on the toast ,but it was thinly spread on the rather burnt toast .

Yakuzamonroe
Toucan
Toucan

23 Oct 2019, 2:18 pm

There might be a link to Asperger's and cooking in my life ... I burn most of what I cook save for anything that requires boiling water or toasted bread.

... and I often burn the bread, so I'm told. :lol:

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 2:37 pm

All the hobbies mean that food just ends up burnt and baths overrun.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 2:57 pm

I'm actually a pretty good cook, I just hate cleaning up the mess that normally comes with the cooking. I have to wash all the dishes, pots and pans by hand. When I lived in a community household I could never really enjoy the meals when it was my turn to do the dishes afterwards. It was like trying to enjoy a last meal before the execution.

I find it hard to cook and keep an eye on several things cooking at once. Most of the meals I make usually only contain two main types of food, or they're mixed together, like spaghetti sauce.

I usually buy stuff that makes cooking faster and less messy. And less expensive, too. Like today I made a couple of coconut cream pies, but I bought the pie shells that already made and you just have to bake them. And the filling was made with the pudding mix you make on the stove. And I have Cool Whip for topping. So what if I cheated? It'll still taste really good. :twisted:

When my mother makes coconut cream pie, everything she makes from scratch except for maybe the whipped cream. I don't know how she does it.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 3:29 pm

domineekee wrote:

My last place was a 11th storey flat. Twice I put the bath on , and got so involved with something I forgot I'd put it on . Result bath overflowed . Much to the annoyance of the people living below me .

Last edited by firemonkey on 23 Oct 2019, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

The only thing I regularly cook : potsticker

Age 18 cooked:. Scones, eggplant parmesan,

Baked bread

Lazy

But cost and nutrition

Sooner or later it will be too inconvenient to avoid cooking

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

firemonkey wrote:
domineekee wrote:

My last place was a 11th story flat. Twice I put the bath on , and got so involved with something I forgot I'd put it on . Result bath overflowed . Much to the annoyance of the people living below me .

Yeah, I have horrible memories of ruining peoples sauce pans, flooding their halls and blackening their walls. Now I just do things like lose my wallet, leave my debit card in the machine and confuse shopkeepers, things are much better.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 5:52 pm

Another one was going out without a door key , and the door needing to be replaced!

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 5:57 pm

I did manage to stick some noodles to the bottom of a pan yesterday

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:02 pm

I do not mind cooking. I am actually a pretty good cook. I do sometimes get absorbed into something and then forget I have a pot on the stove. But I have found that the little kitchen timers work well for that. I just go where I want and drag the kitchen timer with me set to the end time. It rings and then I remember I have a pot on the stove and I immediately return to the stove.

Another useful invention is the crock-pot. It is great for making stews. Just add all the ingredients and set the timer.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:44 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Another useful invention is the crock-pot. It is great for making stews. Just add all the ingredients and set the timer.

I have a slow cooker. My stepdaughter prepares the stew for me , and I just have to wait for it to cook. Checking it every now and then. She puts quite a lot of water in which I'm not sure is the best thing to do. Adding cornflour towards the end of cooking does make it a bit thicker. My attempts at doing it in the past have resulted in an even more watery and somewhat tasteless gravy .

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:46 pm

I am a pretty good cook. I can now buy whatever meat is on sale and figure out how to cook it when I get home!

I have an electronic lock on my door so I can get in without my keys!

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 6:49 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Another one was going out without a door key , and the door needing to be replaced!

Was that cheaper than getting a locksmith? What happened there then?

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 7:55 pm

Cooking involves

Multitasking
Hot temperature
Loud noise
Fine motor skills

That some autistics are disproportionately bad at

The world contains plenty of autistics

Some autistics are good at cooking

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2019, 8:12 pm

I can probably cook most things if given a detailed recipe, I just lack the motivation. Also I have trouble with timing and stuff when trying to prepare more than one thing at once. Though I can tell about the time I burned (homemade) Chex mix...

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"