Can you read an analog clock?
Yes 100%  100%  [ 22 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 22

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 6:35 am

that is a clock just right for people who deem life to be too easy.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2019, 10:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
that is a clock just right for people who deem life to be too easy.

:lol:

The perfect gift for folks who do jumping jacks while standing on their heads! :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 2:48 pm

Yes I can, although it took me longer than most other kids my age, I think. Sometimes my parents would confuse me because they often still say "half-past something" instead of "something-thirty", and I didn't know that was the same thing. Which makes sound like I was incredibly dumb, even for a kid. But then again, I about read about a teenager working at McDonald's who didn't know that half a dozen McNuggets and 6 McNuggets are the same amount. :roll:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 4:17 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Yes I can, although it took me longer than most other kids my age, I think. Sometimes my parents would confuse me because they often still say "half-past something" instead of "something-thirty", and I didn't know that was the same thing. Which makes sound like I was incredibly dumb, even for a kid. But then again, I about read about a teenager working at McDonald's who didn't know that half a dozen McNuggets and 6 McNuggets are the same amount. :roll:

It could be worse. My dad (smartass that he was) would frequently respond to my asking what time it was by saying “Half past the monkey’s ass, a quarter past his tail.” Yet, if I made that crack, I wouldn’t be able to sit for a month without pain. He and mom definitely believed that “children should be seen and not heard,” “spare the rod and spoil the child,” and finally “You break a child’s will the same way you break a horse, with cruelty, fear, and violence, to make them 100% compliant to your will, and the will of God.”

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2019, 11:29 pm

child abuse :x

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2019, 12:18 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Yes - I can read analogue clocks better than the digital clocks, although I can read both of course.
But whenever I look at a digital clock I have to picture the time on an analogue clock in my mind first.

What you describe is the way I do it now, but when I was a child and everyone else was learning to tell time, I was slower at it and had real problems making sense of what the hands on the watch were saying

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2019, 12:31 pm

I grew up and learned to tell time before digital watches were really a thing, so almost all (wall) clocks were analog. Not to mention that unless you're got left-right dyslexia or something similar making it difficult to get a handle on where clock hands are pointing (or dyscalculia when multiplying by five), it takes about one minute to learn to read an analog clock. Easier with numbers around the face, obviously, but after a while even those aren't needed.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 1:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Some people find it impossible to read.

It depends on which of the 10 kinds of people they are, I guess (no doubt you know the old joke!) :wink:
I built something very similar, though not half as smart looking, as part of my electronics studies at school.

I prefer analogue clocks; probably because it's what I grew up with. When I'm passing time waiting for something, seeing the second hand physically moving around the face gives me a strange kind of reassurance that time is actually passing, which I just don't get from a digital clock. I rather like ticking clocks, too - I know the sound drives some people to distraction, but I've always found it a really calming, reassuring sound. I have a ticking alarm clock because focusing on the ticking helps me to get to sleep.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 3:49 pm

I can read an analog clock but not immediately, I have to work it out. I prefer digital clocks. It also takes me a moment to work out left from right or east from west.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2019, 4:39 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Some people find it impossible to read.

It depends on which of the 10 kinds of people they are, I guess (no doubt you know the old joke!) :wink:
I built something very similar, though not half as smart looking, as part of my electronics studies at school.

I prefer analogue clocks; probably because it's what I grew up with. When I'm passing time waiting for something, seeing the second hand physically moving around the face gives me a strange kind of reassurance that time is actually passing, which I just don't get from a digital clock. I rather like ticking clocks, too - I know the sound drives some people to distraction, but I've always found it a really calming, reassuring sound. I have a ticking alarm clock because focusing on the ticking helps me to get to sleep.

Binary joke....ha ha ha

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 6:28 pm

Go ahead!

Just say it.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who can read binary, and those who cant!

Just like...
mathematicians don't distinguish Halloween from Christmas.

Because they realize that Oct 31 equals Dec 25!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 11:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
mathematicians don't distinguish Halloween from Christmas.

Because they realize that Oct 31 equals Dec 25!

Uff! Da! :oops:

It took me aver a day to figure that one out!

I’m just a dumb musician, so what do I know.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 7:44 pm

I can read both analogue and digital clocks, my kitchen clock is an analogue with roman numerals.
I used to like those digital clocks that had the leaves that dropped down I would sit there for hours watching them drop.

I used to ring the time on the phone until they stopped it. :x