Maintain a gratitude journal 10%  10%  [ 2 ]
Listen to uplifting podcast 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Routinely praise and recognize others 15%  15%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 20

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 12:17 pm

I read an article this morning that discussed concrete techniques for achieving happiness. Many members of this site [but not all] express extreme unhappiness with their lives. So whether I agree or disagree with their findings, I feel it warrants some discussion.

In today's world, we know how important it is to keep a positive mindset. To do so, 85 percent of Americans are making a conscious effort to think positively each morning, according to a new survey.

A survey of 2,000 people looked at the ways in which people stay positive throughout the day and found a resounding 88 percent consider themselves positive people overall. However, 69 percent of those surveyed still wish they could be more positive.

In fact, four in five people agree their daily cup of coffee helps them stay positive and productive throughout the day. Forty-eight percent also say exercise is key to getting their day started on a positive note.

In addition to coffee and exercise, the research revealed that smiling and thinking something positive (48 percent), waking up early (48 percent) and meditating (43 percent) are key to starting the morning off right.

“A positive morning routine primes your mind for success,” said Amy Blankson, CEO of Fearless Positivity and author of “The Future of Happiness.” “It’s so easy to fall prey to the tyranny of the urgent in the morning. Emails, text, calls, messages . . . By pausing for just two minutes to ground yourself in a positive practice like meditating or journaling, you are setting yourself up for greater happiness in the long run.”

The survey, conducted by OnePoll in conjunction with The Original Donut Shop Coffee, revealed four in five believe positive thinking can help improve their lives and start the morning off on a positive note. And that’s not all Americans will do to increase their positivity. Fifty-eight percent of those studied will surround themselves with positive people while a further 53 percent will try and appreciate others more.

Forty-eight percent keep a gratitude journal — listing all the things they are grateful for — while another 47 percent listen to uplifting podcasts in an effort to boost their positivity.

“Social support is the single greatest predictor of long-term happiness and success,” said Blankson. “Individuals who ‘pay it forward’ through praise and recognition express that they have greater feelings of happiness, satisfaction and relatedness on a weekly basis.”

“However, even more importantly, both givers and receivers inspire others to want to give, which creates a powerful network effect,” she added.

Source: Half of Americans can't start their day 'positively' without this, study claims

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2019, 5:45 pm

I picked coffee, exercise, and meditation. Although technically my exercising is done in the evenings, and I haven't had much time to meditate lately, so I just try to practice mindfulness throughout the day. I would like to do more meditation, though.
Rather than trying to achieve happiness, I focus more on just feeling content.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 6:09 pm

... By not looking for it. :lol:

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2019, 6:32 pm

Money? :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 11:34 am

Getting up early, exercising and drinking coffee would make me a lot more unhappy.

I think a lot of people are stressed out and unhappy because they have to get up early, shoot up their nerves with caffeine, and then slave away at work every day until they die. But if you don't do those things people think you're lazy and worthless, especially Americans. Which is strange since for years I thought Americans were supposed to be incredibly lazy. But that's probably really because they don't have the energy to do anything that's actually enjoyable from working like a dog all day.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 11:40 am

[X] Other: Have no expectations or desires.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2019, 1:02 pm

Believing in a better world for me.