Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:12 pm

I for some reason am determined... I am applying for jobs again far from where I live. Now I have an interview coming up for a job teaching about birds in schools... In the New York metro area... Why did I apply...

It's an AmeriCorps again, and they pay a stipend plus a rent stipend... But the nightmare if they hire me of finding a place to stay there... they also pay for a metro card. I mean I'm perfectly suited for the job and I did a similar job in Corpus Christi TX before, but Corpus Christi is not NYC... I've only seen NYC from across the water in Jersey visiting my in-laws...

My husband thinks I'm nuts... 8O

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:17 pm

I've lived in NYC all my life; it's not as bad as people make it out to be.

You will get used to it.

Housing within an hour's commute of your job is sort of a nightmare, though.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:24 pm

I admire your determination. "New York metro" could be almost anywhere, though -- it's a giant region. But what you find in any big city is that it's really a collection of neighborhoods, and you'll find your local spot within it.

There Are Four Lights!

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:52 pm

The job is working throughout NYC in various schools... all 5, But is centralized at Audubon office which is Manhattan. My in-laws live not that far away in Bayonne NJ, but they live in a tiny apartment and I doubt they can help me.

But of course it's just an interview right now.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 12:58 pm

Audubon is probably in Upper Manhattan----maybe about 180-190th Street or so. Sort of a dicey neighborhood east of there---but much better west of there. But not bad over all.

From Bayonne it's probably a 1 to 1 1/2 hours commute each way if you take the bus.