Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 2:13 pm

It may not be perfect, but here in the UK I am greatful that though it may not be easy, or difficult to obtain, but at least we do have a benefits system to fall back on if all else goes wrong, and also we have doctors to see to hopefully get us back on our feet again... And hospitals to step in for when things have gone a bit further downhill.
Now I know that these systems are not perfect and maybe limited in what they can do, but at least they're there... As it was only a generation or two ago where there was no such thing.

I realize USA is different, and so are other countries. But each country does have swings and roundabouts. Here in the UK we are taxed highly to pay to make our system work, and it is certainly not cheap to run! I can't speak for other countries as I have not lived in any except here....

But in life, I think it is good to look at the positives. By focusing on positives we have a chance to lift ourselves. To give ourselves some hope.

Something I have been really impressed with in my area are our roads. Ok, so many of them the tarmac is worn. But when we get holes, fair play, our council are quick to fill them up.

Our towns have street lamps. We have rubbish collection... Electricity and water... We have lots we take for granted. We need to be greatful for what we've got. :)

So this is a thread to say the good things we have. The ways we are blessed. :)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 2:26 pm

I'm glad to be back in Georgia, a state that despite its history of racism, slavery, and treason to the Union (which frankly I dont think that last part is so bad given what a sh***y country the US can be at times), the great thing about us in my opnion is that many Georgia folk are friendly and look out for their neighbors. We also have lots of beautiful nature and farms, plus some scenic old Antebellum houses and stuff that survived the Civil War. Hurray for The Peach State! :D

My hometown also has a big beautiful public rose garden. Roses are my fav flowers. :flower:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 3:12 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
I'm glad to be back in Georgia, a state that despite its history of racism, slavery, and treason to the Union (which frankly I dont think that last part is so bad given what a sh***y country the US can be at times), the great thing about us in my opnion is that many Georgia folk are friendly and look out for their neighbors. We also have lots of beautiful nature and farms, plus some scenic old Antebellum houses and stuff that survived the Civil War. Hurray for The Peach State! :D

My hometown also has a big beautiful public rose garden. Roses are my fav flowers. :flower:

It seems a nice place. :)

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2019, 3:17 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

It seems a nice place. :)

It is. :) You should see our dirt roads made of red Georgia clay, our cotton fields, and our Georgia pine trees. Some small towns and cities also have some nicely restored Antebellum-style homes and buildings that have been turned into little shops or bed and breakfasts. :heart:

And up in North Georgia they have peach trees that look so pretty when the flowers bloom. :flower:

We also have other beautiful flowering trees like dogwoods, judas, and magnolias. :flower: :flower: :flower:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 11:52 am

The other evening I was listening to Reddit stories by people who were born in third world countries and what things blew their mind when they moved to a developed country. A lot of them just couldn't get over many of the things we normally take for granted. Like this one person from the Philippines who could hardly believe how clean everything was compared to their homeland. They said the airport back in the Philippines was so filthy just sitting down in a chair would probably give you herpes. :eew: Other people people mentioned things like being able to walk down the street without seeing any of their neighbors being killed, police and firefighters actually coming after they are called, and drivers actually stopping their cars to let people walk in front of them.