Things that make you lose your job?

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:11 pm

Burnout.

First level telephone tech support is a high stress, high pressure job even in the most optimal setting. I was taking a mental health day 2-3 days a month.

Ditto for managing a technical documentation repository for Naval Research and Development as a contractor employee. I won’t even talk about working as a contractor employee for the Deputy Chief of Staff—Operations and Plans, Information Support Office, Department of the Army—Pentagon, as an implementation analyst (the requirements for the job was always a moving target. You start on a given project’s requirements, and 24 hours later, you catch hell for not fulfilling the changed requirements for the project, which your superiors never bothered to inform you of said changes.

Add 2 side hustles and a commute of anywhere between 2 and 5 hours one way 5 days a week, and a family that believes in working until you drop dead, then immediately having to get back up and start the entire process, ad infinitum, as well as being forced to work, regardless of illness. (To them, there’s no such thing as burnout. Burnout=fat lazy-assed motherf!cker that doesn’t deserve to eat, let alone live.)

<sarcasm>Burnout, Me????? Nah!</sarcasm>

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 4:18 am

Buddying up with the boss, or on my case supervisor. I made this mistake and ended up lending him £400 after he crashed his car. We had a fall out after he failed to pay me back.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Nov 2019, 5:03 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Employers hate it when you're frequently late to work.

And when you just don't show up to work.

Both will get you fired REALLY quickly.

I am rarely late without a reason, maybe 4 or 5 times in 25 years that I work.

About being slightly sick I am stricter than my boss. When I am slightly sick, I will look what I can do. It doesn't mean I can't work (my work is not physical the most of the time, i.e. it doesn't require physical strength). My boss says: "Sick is sick, and then you are supposed to be home." On the other hand, it's my duty to work on recovery when I am sick, as fast as possible.

I am usually sick one week a year. Sometimes I am not sick at all.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 6:26 pm

Office politics

Working too slowly

Errors

Clerical error

Racism sexism homophobia fatphobia classism ableism

Boss doesn't like you

Labor shortage

Broken law

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Nov 2019, 11:00 pm

domineekee wrote:
I worked as a barman and used to come into work reeling with tiredness and hardly making any sense but it wasn't a problem. At a different bar I never got past the 3 month trial period because I didn't fit in.

Barman is an interesting job for an Aspie. Generally, being a barman requires a high degree of soft skills/ social skills.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 9:32 am

The state that I live in "at will" employer

Anything, (except illegal reason) "can" make you lose your job

They don't have to tell you a reason

Sometimes I feel like the boss just doesn't like me

Not that I did something wrong necessarily

Counselors and other indirect labor, social science and humanities professional :roll:

A counseling intern told me that if the counselor is "mean or offensive" I could veto

But if everyone that was not mean or offensive got 75 bucks that is a different economic system

Many lil dipshits had the nerve to can (fire) my worthless corpse and nobody told me that I was mean or offensive

"It's not a good match"

"The woman said you were learning too slowly"

Ass holes, counselor Jeanne Courtney was learning too slowly and she earned much more than me

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 4:54 pm

I've never been fired before but if I ever was it would probably be due to refusing to do something that sends me into a panic attack.
I nearly got in trouble in my last job (care home) for yelling and swearing at my supervisor, because she made me work on the wing she knew I didn't like. She had put me on this particular wing the day before and I had a panic attack but she promised it will only be for one day, so I accepted it and struggled through the day. Then the next day she made me go on the same wing again, even though there were 5 other wings in the building that I was happier working on. One of the other workers was willing to swap with me because she didn't mind working on this particular wing, but the supervisor carelessly said that she "can't" - which really meant "I won't". But swapping us wouldn't have made any difference to anyone else.

I'm glad I'm in a job now where the attitude is "a happy worker is an effective worker". And it is true.

RiceCripsyTreat
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Nov 2019, 5:23 pm

I once worked a fast food place and I kept getting sandwiches wrong and I had my manger pull me aside and asked if something was wrong with me and she fired me that day. I could tell everyone their thought I was an idiot but that's most of my jobs.

Another job I had at a grocery store I didnt put the soda on shelf properly so my manger came over and said "You need to use some common sense here." And she reshuffled the shelf properly. It's weird I've never been able to see or do things the way other people have and people think I'm stupid because of it.

Ziemael
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Nov 2019, 3:19 am

Personally. I excelled at finding jobs and getting promoted. A result of position hopping to hide my unavoidable failures with readily available learning curve allowances. In 90% of cases I rocked the boat then eventually quit because I refused to let insults slide from those who dared to notice my frailties. NT people are horrible, as an ASD I am worse than any if them when I have to be. The remaining terminations were me trying to get fired and being successful. In any case I have had over 40 jobs. And after nearly 30 years of leaving "another good job" after another. I have had PTSD from work in general now for a decade. But getting my ASD diagnosis last year as well as SSDI approval, kind of really let me learn a few things about myself. I found out I am super stressed at home with no job but collecting disability checks, to the point of weekly incapacitation, leaving me a useless husband and terrible father. And whilst employed, I am an ulcer ridden, IBS, psychopath praying for a natural disasters and not so secretly verbalizing homocidal directives mad man who works through any "illness" because I learned to suck as much money from a job as possible while I can because I have no clue when I will have a meltdown and completely lose my s**t. Not sure this helped answer your query any better than the billion other ASD answers you received. Blind leading the blind as they say.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 9:07 am

In the USA it is pretty easy to move to a different state if you don't like the employment laws were you live. Gender identity is a protected class in Connecticut. CT now requires employees to take sexual harassment prevention training.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 10:48 am

Let's see here. I am not the type to go out of his way to dare his boss to fire him, and my boss won't unless he has cause (union environment, firing without cause can result in severance and probably generous payments depending on how much trouble they think you are worth).

Considering my union position this year, my boss has tried lower my hours or wages to try and force me into an uncomfortable position by:

-Refusing me vacation or any paid leave around the time my wife was due to give birth

-Booking me for mandatory retraining around the time my wife was due to give birth. The message I got from supers were if I didn't come for training, there would be no work for me.

-When I showed up for the training (the day after my wife gave birth and the day I was supposed to be at the hospital to help her with nursing), I received a letter stating I was being investigated for allegedly instigating an argument between two employees.

-I confronted my boss over the letter and warned him grievances were coming... i was then accused of antagonizing my boss.

-The investigation found no wrongdoing on my part and a letter of apology was issued to me.

Other rules were also being made up on the spot this year designed to trap me (and other employees they don't like and there are plenty of other employees that don't like our boss either) into being unnecessarily disciplined and thus fast tracked out of the company.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 8:16 am

While I was never fired, I once worked at a large retailer similar to Home Depot, where I had worked for 7 years. By this point I had my university degree and was a little more vocal on how inefficient and poorly run certain areas were (in other words rocked the boat) because I naively believed this would lead to a promotion. Instead, it slowly became obvious I was being pushed out the door. They couldn't accuse me of theft, skipping work, etc because my record was squeaky clean but I was suddenly written up for things like being 5 seconds late coming back from break (when everyone else took double their allotted time), driving the forklift at 11km/h (instead of 10) and other petty things like going above and beyond to help a regular customer. I kept blaming myself until one day I was presented with a quote with my name on it for a thousands of dollars of heating equipment that I promised a customer for 90% off the retail price. I kept trying to explain that I don't know anything about this type of equipment and wouldn't even touch it with a ten foot pole but nobody would listen. The assistant manager literally started watching my every move (as in hid behind shelves) and criticized me constantly. It actually turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me because I eventually moved on to a better job where I didn't have to deal with this BS.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 11:55 am

This sort of crap seems to be part and parcel of "retail" jobs.

alcockell
Raven
Raven

19 Jan 2020, 7:53 am

Outsource/offshore when new exec come in.

Foxx
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2020, 8:48 pm

My first job as a tech supporter at an ISP had a very rigid scoring system that was basically rigged to get someone fired. The scoring included things like customer feedback and average time used per customer (what I call "stopwatch support" today).
I was given my two weeks notice due to the scoring - my customer feedback score was good, but three seconds too much on the average time list was enough to get me canned.
On the 3rd to last day I also crashed my car on the way home - I had a few complications from it - including hitting my head against the wheel. So due to the sick leave, hospital visit and BS internal politics, I was expelled entirely from the company, meaning I can never work for them again...
- I wouldn't have lasted long there anyway, I ended up in some drug abuse at the time because of the strenouous schedule. It nearly shattered my psyche completely in the end.

Second job was abroad as a programmer - I quit myself due to some problems in my family, so I could go home. I still regret it to this day. It was by far the best place I worked. The collegues were kind and allowedmeto grow into a secondary role as a sysadmin and had me maintain the network and servers.

Third job as a sysadmin, I quit myself. Primary reason was complications from a shoulder injury I got on a side gig.
Secondary reasons included the micromanagement and the amount of red tape I had to go through just to buy a friggin' ethernet cable. The IT department was also basically used as a trashbin for all the tasks that no-one else wanted to do...

Fourth job worked as a programmer again - On the surface I got let go because of a lack of customer orders. However I still have a suspicion that it's because I asked for my contract-mandated company cellphone for the umpteenth time - with the added line "This is unacceptable". I was let go about an hour after that
Later got comp'ed for the contract breach though.

Last job lasted for a month and a half - service technician at a small ISP.
To be honest - my alarm sirens blared from the start. Already from the first day, I got told stories about the rife nepotism and mismanagement in the company. Adding to that, It took them two weeks to get my tools and nescessities in order. Complete chaos in the onboarding process.
Got let go on the charge of not contacting customers when I had to - reality was that the phone I was given did not work properly, which I had requested numerous times. Long story short, the person in charge for getting me a new cellphone was the CEO's son - and he, of course, could do no wrong. :x
- currently in the process of writing a large report on their gross negligence of data security and GDPR laws for the government. It's by far the worst company i've seen in that regard...

AspiePrincess611
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2020, 12:50 pm

I have worked so many places since 2002 I can't even remember them all or exactly when I worked there. The longest I have ever had a job is 4 years. I have been "laid off" 6 times since 2009. I have hated most of the jobs I have had for one reason or another. Most of them have been extremely boring to me. Some of the jobs have been retail jobs, and I was fired from some of those because I refuse to take abuse or be disrespected by customers and will become angry. Another problem is this. As an Aspie, I do not like to change my planned routine. Many jobs act like working late or working overtime is expected, and this does not sit well with me. Nor does the idea of "professional development"- having to take time outside of work to learn work things, which to me are very boring. I also have trouble when jobs are unclear in what they expect from me, or expect me to come up with new ideas, which baffles me. I also need to write things down step by step when they are new and non-routine, so jobs not giving me the chance to do this has also been a problem. A few jobs simply required skills that I don't have.