Autism Versus Aspergers And Masking Question.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 7:41 pm

Reading posts on this site, I get the impression that masking is mainly done by those who would be classed on the old Aspergers side of the autistic spectrum and those closert to the classic autism were less likely to mask their traits?

Is this generally true? Or have I jumped to conclusions?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 7:45 pm

People on the "Asperger's" end of the Spectrum seem to have a more enhanced ability to "mask" than people with "classic" autism.

In "classic" autism, there is the tendency for the autistic symptoms to be more pronounced, even amongst people who are "high-functioning."

This is far from universal, though. There are quite a few people on the "Aspergers" end who don't "mask" too well at all.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 04 Nov 2019, 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 7:51 pm

I know I was an absolute expert at masking. It is only in recent years where I find due to successive burnouts, that masking was breaking down... That it feels like my life has unravelled and that my traits have been exposed, both to me and to others.

I am not sure for sure that I am on the spectrum...

Ooh. You mention high functioning autism. I had assumed this was the new term used for aspergers syndrome, but from what you wrote they seem different? What are the differences? And what is aspergers syndrome now called?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 7:55 pm

Most of the time, people with Aspergers and people with "classic" high-functioning autism are diagnosed, according to the DSM-V, with "Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level One, with no speech delay, and no intellectual disability." According to the ICD-10, there is still a separate Aspergers diagnosis.

I would say, as a general statement----though far from being universal----that people with Asperger's tend to do better at verbal tasks; and people with "classic," high-functioning autism tend to do better at practical, mechanical, "performance" tasks.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:01 pm

I don't know what I would be. Mind you. I may not even be on the spectrum. They may need to invent a catagory just for me because I am rather unique!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:02 pm

You have the Mountain Goat Affliction :P

You shall be the subject of further research---just your luck you are unique! :P

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:07 pm

In the past I had always seemed to be neigher here or there in trying to define me. When I am assessed, all I can say to the assessors is "Good luck!" HAHA!

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 8:49 pm

I kind of need my own category, too - I'm officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, but I'm much closer to moderate functioning than high functioning (I think my symptoms have at least become more obvious and problematic since my diagnosis). I don't mask as in trying to come across as NT, but I do try to make it less obvious, for example sticking to more subtle stims in public, so I don't draw as much attention to myself.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:16 pm

dragonsanddemons wrote:
I kind of need my own category, too - I'm officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, but I'm much closer to moderate functioning than high functioning (I think my symptoms have at least become more obvious and problematic since my diagnosis). I don't mask as in trying to come across as NT, but I do try to make it less obvious, for example sticking to more subtle stims in public, so I don't draw as much attention to myself.

I have done so many different hidden stims in the past. I never knew they were stimming. I was told off again and again...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:32 pm

I don't 'mask'. Not to the extent of actually creating a social persona behind a less social one.

To me, it's just moods.

My own category has a mind of it's own. :lol: As if I'm my own hundred versions of myself.
For now I'm literally waiting and aiming for said category to stumble on the most functioning side of the spectrum.

Someday, I'd either;
... Able to take full control of my own category instead of waiting it to drift to a more reliable state to be productive.
... Or adapt to all states to have the same productive outcomes.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Nov 2019, 2:28 am

Mountain Goat wrote:

Ooh. You mention high functioning autism. I had assumed this was the new term used for aspergers syndrome, but from what you wrote they seem different? What are the differences? And what is aspergers syndrome now called?

The main motivation behind merging the diagnoses was that in practice there was no difference between the two groups.

In theory, the difference was related to language development. People with Aspergers should have shown no delay in developing language (or walking) compared to NT children. But that wasn’t a detail that practitioners would consistently tease out.

The other theoretical difference was that Aspergers had a minimum IQ of 70.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 3:07 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Reading posts on this site, I get the impression that masking is mainly done by those who would be classed on the old Aspergers side of the autistic spectrum and those closert to the classic autism were less likely to mask their traits?

It is generally true of level 1 vs level 2 atutism. I have not so far come across a level 2 who did not appear to be obviously autistic. The best I can do is tone down my autistic traits. But there's no way in a million years on my best day that I would not appear to clearly be autistic.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 4:19 am

EzraS wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

It is generally true of level 1 vs level 2 atutism. I have not so far come across a level 2 who did not appear to be obviously autistic. The best I can do is tone down my autistic traits. But there's no way in a million years on my best day that I would not appear to clearly be autistic.

So if I am on the spectrum I would be a level 1?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 4:56 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

So if I am on the spectrum I would be a level 1?

Probably. I like that you said generally true. Can also say generally probable. However a person can be level 1 but close to level 2. And vice versa. I know some level 2's who are more capable than I am and others who are slightly less. Or less capable in certain areas. Or who are more or less visibly autistic.

There's just so much complex neuro-wiring involved, it's far from being black and white. Hence it being referred to as a spectrum.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:05 am

Is difficult...

Much of where I get issues are classed as lazyness. While I am not one to let things go to the point where I can't get in a room, the areas that I am responsible for like my bedroom and the room I have my bicycle things and bikes in tend to be messy. And I go to sort things out and somehow it rarely gets done. I make a start but finishing is where I get difficulties. I mean... I reach a point where I either get lots of shutdowns, or I fall into daydreaming mode and get nothing done.
I am the same like this in many other things I do. The strange thing is that I am the opposite in a work enviroment but in a work enviroment I am masking, which after successive burnouts over the last few years is hard to do... Reached a point where I can no longer work.... But in a work enviroment, I had a reputation (Which rather suprized me) for cleanliness compared to the other workers that were there. To be honest this is not actually due to cleanliness. It is more that I have to have everything in order. I mean. I need to put tools in the right places so I can find them. But often it means I get frustrated every time I started work as it would take me ages to sort it all out before I was happy as others didn't put things back the way I wanted them to be. I didn't mind other peoples orders as long as I knew what they were, but most had no order which was most annoying!
Even in my messy bedroom, I have my own order where though I may have piles of things dumped down in various places, I have an order to them.
One thing I can never ever do even in my messiest state is have old plates of food mixed in the mess. Yuck! It would spoil everything. Yuck. No! Piles of books and other things balanced on top of each other gathering dust is fine. But old food going stale. NO!! !! NEVER EVER!! !! Absolute YUCK!

I just do not understand how people can do that! Yuck!

Ok... I will calm down again now! Hahahahaha!

But going back on the point I was making. I am very good at starting things but not very good at finishing things!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:33 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

The main motivation behind merging the diagnoses was that in practice there was no difference between the two groups.

In theory, the difference was related to language development. People with Aspergers should have shown no delay in developing language (or walking) compared to NT children. But that wasn’t a detail that practitioners would consistently tease out.

The other theoretical difference was that Aspergers had a minimum IQ of 70.

The main motivation was the belief that Aspergers was being overdiagosed.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman