The Eugenicist Origins of Autism Prior to Hans Asperger

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2019, 9:31 pm

Robert Chapmen

Quote:
I’ve recently seen lots of autistic people rejecting the term “Asperger’s” because it is associated with Hans Asperger, who some researchers think was knowingly complicit in Nazi eugenics (although others have more recently contested this, based on newly translated evidence). The general move has been to use “autistic” instead of “Asperger’s”, to shift away from associations with Hans Asperger.

I am sympathetic to dropping “Asperger’s” in favour of “autism”. This is mainly because I think the separation is divisive for the autistic community, and because I think functioning labels are unhelpful and dehumanising. Nonetheless, the argument that “Asperger’s syndrome” should be dropped in favour of “autistic” because Asperger was a Nazi strikes me as overly-simplistic, for at least two reasons.

First, Asperger himself didn’t use the term “Asperger’s syndrome”; in fact, he was the first to use “autistic” as a diagnostic label. Yes, the term “autism” had been in use since Eugene Bleuler coined it in 1908 (as I’ll come back to), and “autistic” had been passingly used as a descriptive term (e.g. by Sukharevra in 1925). But Asperger was the first to use it to refer to a specific kind of person (i.e. the autistic person) rather than as a general descriptive term attributable to anyone if they displayed autistic type traits. Moreover, he used it to refer to all autistics, not just those considered more able to function in line with social norms. In contrast to the very different classification “Asperger’s syndrome” (invented by Lorna Wing much later), Asperger was explicit in his 1944 paper that autism “occurs” at all levels of cognitive ability. In short, the use of the label “autistic” in the way it is increasingly being used, was the creation of Hans Asperger. So, using “autistic” is an endorsement of his framing, not a rejection of it.

The second thing to note is that, even non-withstanding the first point, the term “autism” itself was coined by a rabid eugenicist (who was also pretty racist and homophobic),Eugene Bleuler. For instance, here he is in 1924 promoting killing disabled people in order to stop his “race” deteriorating:

"The more severely burdened should not propagate themselves ... If we do nothing but make physical and mental cripples propagate themselves, and the healthy stock has to limit the number of their children because so much has to be done for the maintenance of others, if natural selection is to be suppressed, then unless we will get new measures our race will rapidly deteriorate"

And, before anyone tries to defend him by suggesting that this was just the prevailing view of his time, it wasn’t. In fact, more than a decade prior to the above quote, he had been lamenting the actually prevailing views of his time for forcing him to keep his patients alive.

That is, Bleuler, an incredibly influential psychiatrist (who also coined “schizophrenia”) was one of main reasons eugenics became a prevailing ideology. And there were no Nazis pressuring him into this (as some argue may have been the case with Asperger); rather, he was the pressure.

What are we to make of all of this? On the one hand, again, I certainly do not want to defend keeping Asperger’s syndrome as a diagnostic label (I’m glad it is disappearing, for the reasons I gave above). But I do think we need more nuance on this issue. For, whatever Asperger did, and however bad it was, he was not an isolated case. Rather, if he was a eugenicist, then he was part of an ongoing eugenic tradition that has persisted from long before him, right up to the present day. With this in mind, airbrushing one or two specific individuals from history is far too simplistic (especially when it means the overnight enforced banning of various long-established disability identities).

What we do need is to develop more nuanced critical histories of neurodivergence, in order to both enhance our own empowerment in relation to the dark history of psychiatry, and to help combat the ongoing eugenicist programmes of today.

I am one of those people who stopped self identifying as "Aspie" when the revelations about Hans Asperger came out. It was easier for me then for some others because I was identifying as "Autistic" prior to the revelations.

I agree with the author that we need nuance. Hans Asperger did some of the work that would eventually broaden the spectrum, ie the reason most of you have been diagnosed, the reason this website exits. The diagnosis was the reason for a large increase in my self esteem and helped me greatly when I had severe medical issues develop post diagnosis. While I would rather have had my diagnosis named after a saint it was named after Hans Asperger. I can't erase that part of my and our history and have no desire to.

So I am going to stop identifying as "Autistic" like I did with "Aspie" because I have found out Bleuler was a Eugenicist? No. Bleuler coined the term Autism as a trait of schizophrenia. Aspergers was made a diagnosis to honor Hans Asperger. While I recognize the work Hans Asperger did that is helping me I do not wish to do something so personal as identifying with a term associated with him. I will continue to respect and will comply with those who still identify as "Aspie" and discuss "Aspergers"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 4:11 am

We all know about Han's Asperger's Nazi crudentials but did Asperger himself coin the term Autism?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:27 am

cyberdad wrote:
We all know about Han's Asperger's Nazi crudentials but did Asperger himself coin the term Autism?

As mentioned in the article the term autistic was coined by Eugene Bleuler the eugenicist psychiatrist as a schizophrenic trait. It came from the Greek work “autos“ meaning self. By the time Kanner and Asperger made it a diagnosis the term was established in the psychatric field.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 6:20 pm

Autism was coined by Bleuler.....but the present meaning of autism (combining the word “autism” and its present meaning) was promulgated by Leo Kanner.

Asperger thought that his patients/research subjects had “autistic psychopathy.” He did not use “psychopathy” in the modern sense.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 1:32 am

Ahh thanks for that...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2019, 5:10 am

cyberdad wrote:
Ahh thanks for that...

You are welcome

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 10:12 am

Hah, Aaron Rosanoff, who used autistic to label one of those aspects of the psych in his 1921 paper “A Theory of Personality...” was also in favour of eugenics, and in particular, didn’t like those who are dominantly autistic.

I don’t understand why anyone should change their label because of the politics of an author (alive or dead) without need to point out that the zeitgeist of those time didn’t hold eugenics to be taboo, nor that it’s just the label that is affected; eugenics is alive and well, as the ongoing attempt to bury the notion of autistic as part of personality, proves.

I’ll stick with the science, having endured the full length Chandler and Macleod Temperament and Aptitude test in 1981, to be declared Very Strongly Autistic (I stayed within the average range in every other category, Paranoid, Manic, Depressive, Epileptoid {which fits more Apeis athan does Autistic; such a shame researchers will not use such tests...} etc). This was confirmed by a High Normalising, Autistic (NA) score on the online test which some of you may remember, but which is no longer available (more evidence) both being derived from the Humm and Wadsworth Temperament Scale of 1935 (in which the label has been changed to Artist, for PC reasons, apparently) which was a general populations study of Rosanoff’s theory (the current emphasis on Bleuler is intended to mislead; his use of the label has no direct bearing on what it means to be autistic). Autistic defines who and what I am, so that’s what I’m sticking with!