Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 9:45 am

Wikipedia defines "Woke" as:

... a political term of African American origin referring to a perceived awareness of issues concerning social justice and racial justice.  It is derived from the African-American Vernacular English expression "stay woke", whose grammatical aspect refers to a continuing awareness of these issues.  By the late 2010s, woke had been adopted as a more generic slang term and has been the subject of memes and ironic usage.  Its widespread use since 2014 is a result of the Black Lives Matter movement...

In other words, to "Get Woke" is like being in the Matrix and taking the red pill.  You get a sudden understanding of what's really going on and find out you were wrong about much of what you understood to be truth. This is all well and good.

However, there seems to be a developing phenomenon identified by the term "Get Woke, Go Broke", which expresses the opinion that when organizations "Get Woke" to politically correct actions, those same actions usually result in a massive loss of income.

• "Terminator: Dark Fate" departs from its action/adventure origins to espouse feminist themes and has since bombed at the box office.

• Magazines with traditionally male-dominated readership have experienced downfalls in revenues since switching to less chauvinistic formats.

• The Emmy Awards shows have lost viewership since awardees were allowed more leeway in expressing their politically-correct opinions on politics, the environment, morality, and other hot-button topics.

• Dick’s Sporting Goods warned investors that its decision to remove certain "assault-style" weapons from its Field & Stream stores cost it dearly and may limit its future gains.

• The Game Of Thrones prequel was scrapped before its release due to the overabundance of identity politics.

• After implementing social justice measures in the Boy Scouts to be more inclusive -- allowing girls into the ranks and openly gay scouts and scout leaders, as well as decades of sexual abuse kept under wraps now coming to to the surface -- the 109-year old organization lost a ton of memberships and was forced to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

(... many more examples ...)

Am I missing something here, or are political correctness and identity politics bad for business?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 05 Nov 2019, 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 9:55 am

I've noticed this with a lot of things, and it sucks.

For example nobody likes a strong female lead character, because then she becomes a "Mary Sue".

And comicbook fanboy nerds get REALLY offended if you dare to have a white superhero played by a black actor.

As for gay characters, they are simply not allowed to exist. :roll:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:03 am

Political Correctness, if an appeal to Common Sense is not made, will ruin us, ultimately.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:07 am

Speaking of "Mary Sues", I sometimes feel like the only man who actually likes strong leading women. :|

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:07 am

I have to wonder ... Are those bakeries that were forced to provide custom-made products to people they don't like still in business?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fair and equal treatment, but I'm concerned that the PC Police, the Social-Justice Warriors, and the socially-progressive population in general do not fully realize the economic impact of their efforts.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:11 am

I do feel that no shopkeeper has the right to refuse to sell to somebody because they don't like the looks of that person.

Theoretically, if I'm wearing a red shirt, and it triggers a shopkeeper, that shopkeeper might refuse to sell his items to me.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:14 am

I guess it is pretty bad for the economy, but that's so messed up! I guess it goes to show that bigotry is so intwined into everything in our own society, especially our economy.

Nobobody wants to make the effort to change society for the better because it's bad for business. :|

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:20 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
... Nobody wants to make the effort to change society for the better because it's bad for business. :|
But if businesses collapse, how is society changed for the better? People lose their incomes, can't pay the rent or mortgage, get evicted ... et cetera.

And how exactly is "Political Correctness" good for society in general, and not for just a few small segments of society?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:20 am

in real life, I don't see this sort of thing.

Shopkeepers will sell to anybody----as long as that person hasn't caused in the disturbance in the store previously, or previously stolen from that store.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
in real life, I don't see this sort of thing...
Did you click on the link in the first post of this thread? Aren't the listed businesses "Real Life" enough for you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:25 am

I understand----but I have not seen this sort of thing in real life.

In my opinion, all this PC is crap, and just might ruin us.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:25 am

In restaurants they often sit black people towards the very back of the building. They still "do business" with them, but tell me what isn't wong with that?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I understand----but I have not seen this sort of thing in real life.

In my opinion, all this PC is crap, and just might ruin us.

I kinda agree, but at the same time denying that bigotry still exists will ruin us too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:28 am

TW1ZTY wrote:
In restaurants they often sit black people towards the very back of the building. They still "do business" with them, but tell me what isn't wong with that?
Yes, that is very wrong ... if those black people did not request those seats.

Personally, I like sitting in the back of the restaurant (or bus) because it's usually quieter and less busy back there.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:33 am

Fnord wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Yes, that is very wrong ... if those black people did not request those seats.

Personally, I like sitting in the back of the restaurant (or bus) because it's usually quieter and less busy back there.

I'm talking about restaurants where you have to be seated by the host or hostess. I never even noticed this before until my mom pointed it out. She was friends with a lady in college who was in the movement known as Black Lives Matter.

Last edited by TW1ZTY on 05 Nov 2019, 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2019, 10:35 am

Where did I ever deny that bigotry exists? LOL

I live in NYC. I grew up around bigotry. I know it very well.