Page 5 of 7 [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

However you define it, just how important is being "Woke" to you?
If you're not Woke, you're worthless. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
It's important, but not all-important. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Woke, schmoke ... where's my ice cream? 22%  22%  [ 7 ]
Unimportant, but worth knowing about. 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Completely unimportant. 28%  28%  [ 9 ]
Other: ________________ (Please Explain). 16%  16%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 32

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 9:28 am

Brivae wrote:
... In the contexts that you provided, I think it's important to know that there are situations like that which do exist, still happen today, but at the same time if it is a conflict of interest to you then you don't have to get involved in it, especially if it is against the law. It sounds contradictory and may be hypocritical to some, but if it stresses you out, is something that you were guilt-tripped into supporting, and it's not something you are entirely comfortable with then you don't need to be around it. People will use this to create change in their community but there are some people who will make a controversy of it.

There are cases that need to be shared with the public because there are incidences where things like racism, sexism, LGBTQ discrimination, etc., are methods of discrimination and it becomes hidden outside of the public eyes.

However, you should be aware of these issues, (if you want to be) because it’s also important to realize how fortunate and privileged some people are thinking about things like racial profiling, cultural boundaries, Education & Social Status, and sex/gender privileges, etc.
Sure, and it is important to be aware of actual instances of discrimination, but when it seems that practically anything a person does is somehow discriminatory (i.e., buying a new car, wearing nice clothes, eating at a nice restaurant -- all insults against the poor and the homeless), then the whole idea of being "woke" has gone too far.

For instance, I received word this morning (via a hand-scrawled note under a windshield wiper) that displaying an American flag on Veteran's Day (because I am a veteran) constitutes discrimination against both non-veterans and non-citizens alike.

What next?  Having a permanent, fixed address is somehow discrimination against the homeless ... ?

:roll:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 9:57 am

You live in a nutty neighborhood, Fnord.

That person who scrawled that note has nothing better to do.

It's effin Veteran's Day, for crying out loud!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You live in a nutty neighborhood, Fnord.  That person who scrawled that note has nothing better to do.  It's effin Veteran's Day, for crying out loud!
My neighborhood is full of "effin" Millennials, too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:45 am

Being alive is offensive and discriminatory to the corporeally challenged.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 10:49 am

Engaging in sesquipedalian discourse is anathema to the vocubularily challenged.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:12 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Being alive is offensive and discriminatory to the corporeally challenged.

That packs a lot of wisdom :)

You're WOKE to a micro-aggression of "alive", AND hip to euphemize the trigger word "dead".

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:01 pm

So it seems like any struggle or injustice that far-right snowflakes wish to ignore and invalidate isn't politically correct to discuss openly anymore.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:25 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
So it seems like any struggle or injustice that far-right snowflakes wish to ignore and invalidate isn't politically correct to discuss openly anymore.
Not so much. It's also the in-your-face attitude of far-left activists who insist that everyone should wail and moan about every single one of the far left's social experiences that makes the rest of us look upon being "woke" as something both annoying and distasteful.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Not so much. It's also the in-your-face attitude of far-left activists who insist that everyone should wail and moan about every single one of the far left's social experiences that makes the rest of us look upon being "woke" as something both annoying and distasteful.

It makes sense that people might focus on the injustices that personally impact them. Most of the people for whom those issues are relevant aren't actually on the far-left. It's just that the far-left doesn't suffer from the kneejerk need to silence those who speak about issues that don't directly impact them, so they tend to be among the first allies those people are likely to find.

You don't need to be 'woke', but it would be nice if more people would listen to what disadvantaged people say effects them instead of immediately dismissing and invalidating them. One would think that being disadvantaged persons might make us as a community more willing to listen to what others have to say about their experience, since elements of our struggles might be difficult for others to understand and yet we would still hope to be listened to.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 4:43 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
... You don't need to be 'woke', but it would be nice if more people would listen to what disadvantaged people say effects them instead of immediately dismissing and invalidating them...
^ THAT ^

Unfortunately, I keep running into people all over the political and ASD spectra who seem to have such intense "More Disabled and Discriminated Than Thou" attitudes that it is practically impossible for them to see anyone else's problems beyond their own.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 5:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
... You don't need to be 'woke', but it would be nice if more people would listen to what disadvantaged people say effects them instead of immediately dismissing and invalidating them...
^ THAT ^

Unfortunately, I keep running into people all over the political and ASD spectra who seem to have such intense "More Disabled and Discriminated Than Thou" attitudes that it is practically impossible for them to see anyone else's problems beyond their own.

For what it's worth, 'woke' often seems to flip that trend. It should be refreshing to hear people losing their s**t over someone else's problems and struggles instead of their own for once. :lol:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 2:48 am

I wonder what WP members tell their autism doctor.

In weekly sessions, I would tell him, "I have brain damage", "Something is not connected".

On the WP General Forum, "How dare you suggest autism is brain damage".

I would rather confront issues truthfully.

It seems like WOKE is requiring us to be phony, to avoid hurting other people's feelings.

Do WP members actually euphemize their condition(s) in doctor sessions?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Nov 2019, 4:15 am

funeralxempire wrote:
It should be refreshing to hear people losing their s**t over someone else's problems and struggles instead of their own for once. :lol:

Not realy refreshing. It's the good ol' "Children in Africa starve and you dare say you don't like your soup!", the way I hear it.
Use someone's disadvantage to shame and invalidate others.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 9:03 am

magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It should be refreshing to hear people losing their s**t over someone else's problems and struggles instead of their own for once.
Not realy refreshing. It's the good ol' "Children in Africa starve and you dare say you don't like your soup!", the way I hear it.  Use someone's disadvantage to shame and invalidate others.
To turn an old adage around: "You whine about having no shoes when that little boy over there doesn't even have FEET?!  You should be ashamed of yourself!"

:roll: Yeah ... been there ...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 3:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
magz wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
It should be refreshing to hear people losing their s**t over someone else's problems and struggles instead of their own for once.
Not realy refreshing. It's the good ol' "Children in Africa starve and you dare say you don't like your soup!", the way I hear it.  Use someone's disadvantage to shame and invalidate others.
To turn an old adage around: "You whine about having no shoes when that little boy over there doesn't even have FEET?!  You should be ashamed of yourself!"

:roll: Yeah ... been there ...

Like a lot of mindsets, I've never gotten the mindset of 'oh, how dare you complain about your issues so long as even a single person is worse off'.

People have many ways to invalidate other people's concerns. :?

Just a tangent, but ever notice the things we laugh off as 'first world problems' are almost always universal issues that we poke fun at as not being serious, but even people with much larger issues are at least sometimes aggravated by those little daily frustrations.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 4:28 pm

Being "woke" is acting over-emotional and they are indeed the modern version of religious fundamentalists. What's scary is that a lot of people in power and prestige actually take them seriously.