I wonder how many memories are fake

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 8:28 am

I won the lottery a couple of times—in my dreams!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 8:29 am

I once had a dream that I ate a giant marshmallow.

And when I woke up my pillow was gone 8O

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Nov 2019, 8:38 am

I once dreamed I was eating a cheese sandwich, very tasty.
When I woke up, my brother told me I swallowed a big fly.
I still don't know if it was true or if it was just him teasing me.
Both possible.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 9:17 am

Bias and distortion, yes

False memory, not necessarily

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 9:40 am

Richard Feynman, one of the great physicist of the 20th century, used floatation therapy to revisit some of his earliest memories.

In his youth Feynman experimented with floatation therapy. He used it to experiment with hallucinations and out-of-body experiences. He subjected himself to at least a dozen 2 1⁄2 hour float sessions. During these he experienced many hallucinations and out-of-body experiences. He arrived at the following conclusions. Hallucinations are not real. Imaging things are real does not represent true reality. “The reason, I believe, that I had an out-of-body experience was that we were discussing out-of-body experiences just before I went into the tank. And the reason I had a hallucination about how memories are stored in the brain was, I think, that I had been thinking about that problem all week.”

So in a sense what Feynman’s experiments showed him personally was that false memories were not real but influenced by suggestion. Psychologists have found that our recollection of everyday events may not be as dependable as we would believe. Moreover, even once information has been committed to memory, it can be altered. Our recollection of memories can be manipulated and even entire sets of events can be confabulated.