Why would G-D sacrifice his only Son? Why not himself?

Page 1 of 3 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 4:49 pm

I don't go into the whole Christian talks but the one thing i've always thought of and seems weird to me, is that, why would an almighty powerful man, make his son mortal and why would Jesus predict such a sacrifice and allow it to occur? Why would you allow anyone, let alone your son do that? why wouldn't g-d make himself mortal and sacrifice himself. Seems weird to me the whole concept?

Anyone else?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 5:07 pm

Well ...if god allowed himself to be killed then he wouldn't be around to run the place (ie the universe), nor would he be around to be our parent figure. Would he?

You could then say "why didn't he allow himself to be killed, and then resurrect?", but that's just exactly what he did.

God is this big huge dude who runs the universe, so in order for him to be murdered by tiny humans on earth he has to have an avatar...a small humanlike manifestation of himself to be sacrificed. Ergo... a "son" in human form.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 5:17 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Well ...if god allowed himself to be killed then he wouldn't be around to run the place (ie the universe), nor would he be around to be our parent figure. Would he?

You could then say "why didn't he allow himself to be killed, and then resurrect?", but that's just exactly what he did.

God is this big huge dude who runs the universe, so in order for him to be murdered by tiny humans on earth he has to have an avatar...a small humanlike manifestation of himself to be sacrificed. Ergo... a "son" in human form.

But why a sacrifice, to destroy all sins, why a living creature? why your own son. Especially if you're against murder.
Why prophecies such an event to prove a point or to do this to take away all sins. Yes he runs the world but if he can automatically exist and pop out from no where, he can surely do this himself. Why his son?

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 5:26 pm

And why would he ask Abraham to sacrifice Isaac? Guess it made more sense 2000 years ago :?

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:13 pm

About Abraham & Isaac--it was a lot more than 2000 years ago. It was a test of Abraham's faith, and Isaac was unharmed & went on to found a great line of people. The scene really foreshadows the Passion of Christ--Isaac is the unblemished victim who carries the wood for his own sacrifice up the mountain, and then the sacrifice pleases God but he doesn't die--because they found a ram on the top of the mountain caught in the bushes.

About why God wouldn't sacrifice himself...that seems silly when you think that Jesus Christ is God. He does sacrifice himself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:15 pm

Because God doesn't HAVE to sacrifice himself. He's God!

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:41 pm

My question would be how killing a guy exactly affects my sins ... And why that led to the institution of confession - I thought Jesus' sacrifice would get me off the hook. Like, what was the whole point?

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 8:10 pm

Borromeo wrote:
About why God wouldn't sacrifice himself...that seems silly when you think that Jesus Christ is God. He does sacrifice himself.

Why does Jesus say "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Why did God talk to himself?
Also, why does he test anyone if he is privy to every though?

Why does the elaborate message that God plays out before us through human trials stop so abruptly? Which part is he playing now? It seems more elusive.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

07 Nov 2019, 8:55 pm

This is basically the Christian message in a simple form.

In the Old Testament (Old Covernant) days sin was dealt with through sacrifice. For example, two goats would have been selected for certain sins. The goats had to be without blemish so they were the most perfect goats they had... The one goat would be slaughtered. The blood of that goat would be placed on the other goat, and they sent the goat off into the wilderness. The blood was shed for their sins... The goat that was killed took their place. The wages of sin is death, so the goat was killed instead of the person.
The shedding of blood was a requirement to attone for ones sins. The goat which was sent off into the wilderness was known as a skape goat. It is where the term came from.
It was considered very unfortunate to have ones goat return to you as it was like having your sins return.

Now one can imagine the site of the slaughter of ones most precious goat and losing the second most precious goat. It shows how seriously God takes sin, and how much it hurts us and God.

Sacrificing in this way was not ideal. God made a way. He came down to earth to become the once and for all sacrifice for our sin. This is the New Covernant to replace the Old Covernant.
God loved us so much that He gave His life for us.
Why did Jesus (God who came in the flesh) rise again? Now the wages of sin is death. But Jesus was the only one ever who had no sin. Therefore, death could not hold him, so He rose again on the third day.

What do you need to do to have your sins forgiven? Well. Simply believe. Repent and believe. As to believe is to have faith. Without faith we can't please God. Believe that Jesus paid the price and became the substitute for all your sins. All meaning all. Past, present and future sins. Is not an excuse to sin. But when you do sin, look to the cross. What Jesus did for you, and repent.

I can't really add any more. Christianity is not about going to church. It is the simple message of the GOOD NEWS that you can have your sins forgiven because Jesus pid for your sins at Clavary. At the cross. He took your place at the cross.

That is the message of the New Testament.

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 9:11 pm

If God came and asked me to kill a goat or kill my son or wanted me to see him killing his son I would be a bit distressed. Its not how we deal with things is it? That's why I say that it made more sense back then when people were busy killing goats and crucifying people, that's when the story made sense,

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 9:32 pm

That's why it's better to see the Bible in historical context, rather than take it literally.

domineekee
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 9:47 pm

For me this is true, but I am also open to a communion that doesn't involve much ritual and hopefully something that i would relate to.

techstepgenr8tion
SomeRandomGuy
SomeRandomGuy

07 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

So Helenic Greeks could practice a blend of Neoplatonism and Judaism and it could be an imperial religion.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 11:02 pm

^^^

Good Answer..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 11:14 pm

God DID sacrifice himself, by....having a human shaped version of himself be martyred by human oppressors on earth.

What other way would there be for him to … go about "sacrificing" himself?