Asperger’s Children: The Origins of Autism in Nazi Vienna

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:19 pm

Asperger’s Children: The Origins of Autism in Nazi Vienna by Edith Sheffer

Quote:
In Nazi Germany paediatric psychiatrists served as consultants to youth groups, welfare offices and schools. It was the form their ‘national service’ took. They tracked subjects through childhood, shaped what was considered normal behaviour, and identified and codified what was not. Ernst Illing claimed that he could make a call about a child at the age of three or four – he could spot what he called ‘Gemüt poverty’. Gemüt meant ‘soul’ or ‘spirit’, but also gestured to a person’s capacity for tribal belonging: for feeling and emoting spirit, as in national or school spirit; and for social competence. None of these meanings was new, but how ‘Gemüt’ came to matter was. Gemüt-poverty was a medico-spiritual diagnosis that could send children to their death at a place like Spiegelgrund, a children’s killing centre in the outskirts of the Vienna Woods, part of the Steinhof mental hospital.
London Review Of Books
https://www.lrb.co.uk/v41/n06/michele-pridmore-brown/unfeeling-malice

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:21 pm

Under that regime, I would have been dead, even if I wasn't Jewish.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:31 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I read somewhere that although Jews were the largest group, people with disabilities were the first. After starting on the disabled, they then decided to expand later to other groups like Jews, blacks, etc.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2019, 6:56 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I read somewhere that although Jews were the largest group, people with disabilities were the first. After starting on the disabled, they then decided to expand later to other groups like Jews, blacks, etc.

The Jews were always the main target. The disabled were the first, sort of practice for larger mass murders to come.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman