Can autistic individual Be transgender?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Spede
Raven
Raven

09 Nov 2019, 6:35 am

Can autistic individual be transgender?

If so, how many transgenders are also on The spectrum?

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2019, 6:43 am

Certainly they can. There are quite a few here on WP and elsewhere whom are somewhere on the spectrum.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:38 am

I'm transgender and I identify as male. I also with to be addressed as a male instead of as the other.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:40 am

Spede wrote:

Yes.

And there is no way to know for sure as to how many are on the spectrum. It is possible some transgender people could have undiagnosed autism as well. Either way though one certainly does not prevent the other.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:45 am

Yes, there are quite few LBGT folks on this site.

Folks who are "between the genders" seem to be atleast as common among ASD folks as among NT folks, if not even more common.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:02 pm

My flatmate (also known as GalileoAce) is autistic and trans. I've known her before and all throughout her transition. I feel lucky to know her.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:18 pm

They say 33% of the LGBT crowd are on the spectrum. How many of them are homosexual or how many experience dysphoria I don't know, but the numbers are pretty significant.

This is probably going to upset some folks but I think a lot of Aspies have a hard enough time fitting in this old world that almost seems aimed against us like a weapon. A lot of the trans folks I've talked to might have had a rough upbringing and so have a lot of Aspies I've spoken with. I certainly had it rough and for a while probably would have been identifiably asexual if I had known such a thing existed. An autistic girl I know was worried she was trans male. She had caught hell growing up and had no way out and solved problems in what she thought was a male way, thought she was broken. No, I had to tell her that I admire her for being strong and independent, for her mental abilities and her refusal to be crushed by her abusive family. And more personally, I matured very late and without some guidance in natural law & philosophy I'd be what you call asexual right now but I have a cute girlfriend and let's just say she certainly has fixed that.

So if gender dysphoria can be started in traumatic situations I'd say that Aspies are probably more prone to it. Not to mention, we've got such a different perception of reality due to our sometimes-rebellious brains acting up that I can totally see how that would kick in.

(None of this constitutes an endorsement of anything LGBT-related, but only a pattern I've been noticing through time spent in research, in time spent with queer folks, autistic folks, queer Aspies, and in my own life.)

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 8:28 am

They do say that many autistics are trans and that autistics are more likely to be trans but I don't know how true that second part is

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 9:20 am

The Link Between Autism and Trans Identity

Quote:

Earlier this year, police in Arizona killed Kayden Clarke. The officers were called to Clarke’s house after neighbors reported that he might be about to commit suicide. According to the police report, the officers opened fire when Clarke approached them with a knife. Friends and family members of Clarke have said they don’t believe Clarke posed any such threat.

Clarke was a trans man who had autism. He was well known for documenting his mental-health struggles in homemade YouTube videos, which he also used to regularly detail the difficulty of finding medical professionals willing to help him with his transition. After his death, the Autistic Self Advocacy Network, a non-profit disability-rights organization, said in a statement that Clarke had experienced multiple “roadblocks to transition” and encountered numerous health-care professionals who failed to “respect either his gender identity or his Autistic identity.” Clarke’s therapist, for example, the statement says, “would not approve his starting on hormones until after his autism spectrum disorder—which she referred to as a ‘disease’—was ‘cured.’”

Research on the overlap between autism and gender diversity—a term used to define those who, either by nature or choice, do not conform to conventional gender-based expectations—is a relatively new field. Earlier this year, Spectrum, a website dedicated to in-depth analyses of autism research, published an extensive investigation that explores this relatively untrodden ground, explaining that over the past five years, there have been only a handful of studies that trace a co-occurrence between the autism and gender diversity. In one of the first major studies, carried out in Holland, researchers examined 204 children and adolescents who identified as gender-dysphoric—a condition where a person experiences discomfort or distress due to a mismatch between their biological sex and gender identity—and found a 7.8 percent prevalence of autism.

Researchers in the field have speculated about the reasons behind this co-occurrence, but the social and cultural implications of this correlation are proving problematic for trans, autistic communities. Some health-care professionals are now telling trans individuals on the autism spectrum that the need to transition is a result of their autism—a classic misreading of causation versus correlation. And, as in Clarke’s case, the mistake appears to be limiting access to medical care.

The way that the relationship between gender diversity and autism is perceived stems from autism’s gendered history. The disorder has long been referred to as a predominately male condition—think of the portrayal of Raymond in Rain Man as the male, autistic savant. More than a decade ago, Simon Baron Cohen, the director of the University of Cambridge’s Autism Research Centre, hypothesized that autism was a symptom of the “extreme male brain.”

While this shift has ensured many cisgender women are now finding diagnoses, approaching autism in strictly male/female terms has still largely excluded gender-diverse people from the conversation.

There are case studies of gender diversity on the autism spectrum dating back to 1996, but the first study to assess the convergence of autism and “gender dysphoria” was published just six years ago. Since this point, there have been several studies, with a watershed moment occurring for the world of autism research in 2014. John Strang, a neuropsychologist in the Center for Autism Spectrum Disorders at Children's National Medical Center, in Washington, D.C., assessed gender diversity in children with autism, rather than measuring the incidence of autism among gender-dysphoric children and adolescents as the previous studies had done. The study found that participants on the autism spectrum were 7.59 times more likely to “express gender variance.”
This was a turning point in the field, but it hasn’t necessarily ensured an easy explanation for the co-occurrence between gender dysphoria and autism. The Spectrum investigation outlines the various theories researchers have offered. One suggests that children with autism form a “fixation” with their gender identity. Since people with autism often have obsessions with particular topics, identifying as gender diverse could be seen as an “obsessive” relationship to gender, similar to the classic autistic obsessions with things like cars or dinosaurs.

Other researchers have offered a biological connection, speculating that both gender development and autism are influenced by differences in the levels of the hormone androgen that a fetal brain is exposed to. And some have pointed to the fact that children with autism are often considered less inhibited by social maxims, including ways different genders are supposed to stereotypically behave. People on the spectrum who express a gender identity that doesn’t conform to their assigned biological sex can be seen as doing so because they’re refusing expectations society has placed on them.

However, these possible explanations are reflected negatively in conversations I have had with neuro and gender-diverse individuals, who have often been told that identifying as gender-diverse is a result of being autistic. A large handful of people I have spoken to discuss how they have felt dismissed by the medical community.

In the report from the Autism Self Advocacy Network following Kayden Clarke’s death, people gave accounts of being subjected to “normalization” treatments by service providers and family members, which aimed at suppressing their gender expression, or placing them in guardianship or institutional settings that restrict their decision-making power. Similarly, Stella Gardiner, a trans-rights activist in London, informed me that after she had a positive experience with a psychiatrist who diagnosed her autism, the treatments that were recommended to her were blocked by her general practitioner, who informed her that her diagnosis from a psychiatrist, not a medical doctor, was “worthless.”
Researchers and scientists are now beginning to look for further reasons between the co-occurrence, as well as exploring new methods to ensure the path to treatment and care is easier.

So far, as Spectrum reports, almost all of the published studies that explore the relationship between autism and gender diversity have simply been “incidence studies,” illustrating that autism and gender diversity do in fact somehow appear to be linked. Yet over the past two years, John Strang has assembled a group of researchers and experts at gender clinics across the globe to create a seminal paper that outlines guidelines for diagnosis and treatment for people across the gender and neurological spectrums.* This position paper, Strang tells Spectrum, focuses heavily on safety and “what it means to be trans in different communities,” and establishes clinical “best practices.”

Beyond research, numerous organizations are beginning to push for a greater awareness of issues related medical care, including campaigns like #AutisticTransPride, neurodiverse-and-trans-awareness blogs, and the work of activist groups like ASAN. In an essay for the Asperger/Autism Network, an organization that provides support for people on the autism spectrum, the activist Lydia X. Z. Brown suggests the term “gendervague” to express an inseparability of gender identity and neurodiversity. “Being autistic doesn’t cause my gender identity,” Brown writes, “but it is inextricably related to how I understand and experience gender.”

Bolding mine

IMHO since autistics are “wired” differently already why would we not be more likely to be atypical in our gender identities or sexual orientations for that matter?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

10 Nov 2019, 10:56 am

The evidence just isn’t there.

I would argue that the only difference would be more stubbornness and refusal to to conform to standards. We really can’t even adequately test or even describe autism in any scientific way. I don’t see the point.

Cheeks
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Nov 2019, 1:42 pm

I'm transgender. I was born a boy and started to transition to female at the age of 16, I'm now 24. I've read studies on androgyny and autism and how there could be a possible correlation but I don't know if there's anything concrete yet.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 4:20 pm

Spede wrote:

My dear Spede,
Perhaps you could afford me and my tribe the courtesy of referring to us by a more respectful term , such as transgender people, rather than the term "Transgenders" which is one which does you no service, making you come across as rude and someone who might view me and other of my tribe as not people.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 3:36 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Spede wrote:

My dear Spede,
Perhaps you could afford me and my tribe the courtesy of referring to us by a more respectful term , such as transgender people, rather than the term "Transgenders" which is one which does you no service, making you come across as rude and someone who might view me and other of my tribe as not people.

I as an outsider truly do not understand why "transgenders" is considered rude and transphobic. The terms "Whites", "blacks", "Jews" etc are not generally considered offensive. I use the term "autistics" all the time on Wrong Planet as a descriptor not as an insult.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 8:15 am

I would say I am non-binary. I'm housed in a woman's body, which is fine.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 8:35 am

I'm a male, housed in a male's body. And if somebody doesn't like that, tough nuggies.

I don't give two craps if somebody is transgender or non-binary or whatever. It's their body.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2019, 9:46 am

I think this is such an interesting topic.

I don't really feel much of a connection to my body, at all. I also never really cared what kind of a car I drove. That's as close a description as I can come to. It's a vehicle. My brain is who I am and it really doesn't have a sex. I would love to know more about how others feel about their bodies and if they experience a similar disassociation physically.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.