On boredom - boredom has been studied!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 8:07 pm

On boredom, "the answer is no, this post is not boring, nor does this post stem from boredom!"

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boredom

EXCERPT form LINK: In Experience Without Qualities: Boredom and Modernity, Elizabeth Goodstein traces the modern discourse on boredom through literary, philosophical, and sociological texts to find that as "a discursively articulated phenomenon...boredom is at once objective and subjective, emotion and intellectualization—not just a response to the modern world but also a historically constituted strategy for coping with its discontents."

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2019, 11:28 pm

My mum used to say that bored people are boring. Probably because her stepdaughter used to say she was bored a lot when she was at our place and it would drive mum up the wall.

Personally, I find that I rarely get bored. If there's a good book to read or a forum to come to and read then it's difficult to get bored.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 12:47 am

Some years ago there was a book about the "history of boredom" which the reviewer on NPR swore was NOT a boring book. Nevertheless I ..never got around to getting a copy to read. The subject just did not grab me.

liminal
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2019, 1:01 am

I'm the chairman of the bored.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2019, 9:25 am

renaeden wrote:
My mum used to say that bored people are boring. Probably because her stepdaughter used to say she was bored a lot when she was at our place and it would drive mum up the wall.

Personally, I find that I rarely get bored. If there's a good book to read or a forum to come to and read then it's difficult to get bored.

Your mom has a good point

Different people find different things interesting

Although "boring" sounds bad but could be a good thing

Boring is stable, obsessive compulsive disorder

Not everything exciting or interesting is good

"Exciting" is like adrenal fatigue

I am bored a lot and I am boring.

Most precious lil "people" act so enthusiastic, like every thought and emotion that goes through their head is the latest greatest scientific invention :roll:

They are a lot more boring than they realize

"Interesting" could be a good or bad thing

Not everything has to be interesting or exciting

Lil dipshits act like they just :evil: have :twisted: to comment on every single thing

Ass holes , remark on what I am eating. ("Not healthy"). Emotional expression. ("Dazed"). Appearance ("nice shoes"). Intelligence ("smart", "stupid"). Moral value ("rude")

They are all judgmental entitled manipulative arrogant lil dipshits

They just have too much energy and ego too large.

Just the number of idiots that comment on my clothes is like making me want to puke

Then they act like they are doing me a favor by talking to me
Ass holes are just bothering me s**t