I hate them 19%  19%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 68

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 12:28 pm

Too far topic

Mad Maxx? :lol:

This family has evolved along with us. Now they are just as dysfunctional, what with all the scandals and misfortunes.

Slowmutant is correct. Elizabeth II is Canada's Head of State, and the Queen's Rep in Canada is Michaelle Jean. Lots of history for us, too.

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

crackedpleasures
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2008, 2:01 pm

I guess you mean the UK royal family?
EDIT: after reading through posts, I see it is about them indeed.

Well, same goes for ALL monarchies, not just the British: I dislike the system where someone can become head of state based upon family ties and bloodline. I am against a monarchy as a system. But it doesn't matter that much to me to make a problem out of it (because usually the prime minister makes all decisions anyway) so I don't support them but also don't mind them that much. There's way bigger problems to care for and worry about. The one thing I strongly dislike about the Belgian royal family is that every member gets an income from the state, even the 15th in line for the throne ; I can understand the King and successor get a state salary but not someone whose chances of becoming King depend on 14 relatives dying before him...

(excerpt from The Book of the Law - Aleister Crowley)

"Od lo avda tikvateinu" (excerpt from the Israeli hymn)

bobbob94
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Jul 2008, 9:54 am

I think they're a huge waste of money, but my main objection is the idea that they're supposed to be somehow better than other people and deserving of respect and deference due to nothing more than an accident of birth...

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:04 pm

bobbob94 wrote:
I think they're a huge waste of money, but my main objection is the idea that they're supposed to be somehow better than other people and deserving of respect and deference due to nothing more than an accident of birth...

I have the same objection. Do the Britsh royals have enough popularity in Britain to warrant their continued existence?

spudnik
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:19 pm

Being Canadian, as children we would swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen, I don't know if this is still done in classrooms, but it was something I vividly remember as a child. As I got older, I grew to dislike all the scandal and greed of the Royals, The time for these leeches has ended, the monarchy has to be done away with, sure keep the Commonwealth and Parliament, we don't really need a Queen or a King.

slowmutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 2:20 pm

I agree.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2008, 9:13 pm

spudnik wrote:
Being Canadian, as children we would swear an oath of allegiance to the Queen, I don't know if this is still done in classrooms, but it was something I vividly remember as a child. As I got older, I grew to dislike all the scandal and greed of the Royals, The time for these leeches has ended, the monarchy has to be done away with, sure keep the Commonwealth and Parliament, we don't really need a Queen or a King.

Because the parliament is a serious shedload of use to us? We might as well have a full-blown monarchistic state, like we used to have, for all the say the british public get in how things are run. At least then we get a refreshing change of leadership every generation, instead of the same string of ret*ds every 10 years or so. Leeches? Seriously.. does anyone actually read posts in these threads? Methinks I already pointed out exactly how "leechy" the royals are, by comparison to the rest of our top-heavy bloated semi-dictatorship of a government.

As for scandal.. the biggest scandal Ive seen about the royals is Princess Ann wearing a dress she wore in 1981.. or perhaps the fact that the Queen can't afford basic maintenance.. the kind of s**t the council have to provide for free to dolescum..

The royal family have been both figurehead and a rallying point in the past, and need I repeat that the Queen is STILL WORKING well past retirement age!! I suspect she knows more about a hard days graft than a lot of the civil service, and substantially more about it than the vast numbers who remain steadfastly unemployed.

bobbob94
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2008, 8:14 am

slowmutant wrote:
bobbob94 wrote:

I have the same objection. Do the Britsh royals have enough popularity in Britain to warrant their continued existence?

Evidently so since they haven't been kicked out yet :wink: i think most people don't really think too much about them one way or the other, its not like being pro-monarchy or republican is a big issue in British politics lately...

@macbeth- the fact that other things are a waste of money too doesn't make the monarchy somehow not a waste of money. sure, plenty of other institutions and individuals are enormously wasteful, but thats not much of an argument for the monarchy imho, and i don't care how hard working or lazy they happen to be as individuals either (i'm sure the queen could have had a sucessful career as a hard working land rover mechanic if she'd been made to join the rest of us earlier in her life :wink: ) its the whole institution of the monarchy i object to, the idea that people can be born into a supposedly higher position in life than the rest of us...

Judith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2008, 2:22 pm

BlackLiger wrote:
I can't object :P Just 8205 people to kill...... MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You've got 7543 to go before you get to me. You can give me a miss. I'm not interested in the publicity the throne would bring.