Tania Marshall Adult Diagnosis: real?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2019, 11:20 am

I am an adult female who has reached out to Tania Marshall after having been told by a counselor that she suspected I have mild autism a few years ago. I had not been interested in a formal diagnosis because it hadn't really gotten in the way (I have achieved all of my goals so far and I am happy). However, I recently started graduate school and I am having some trouble with professional communication and speaking (which is a small, yet important, skill I have to learn while I'm here). I want to get a diagnosis so that I can communicate with my Department Head that I have a deficit in this area, but I am trying my best and may require extra attention to learn how to be successful.

My question: Is a diagnosis from Tania Marshall a real diagnosis, specifically for US residents? I believe she does know what she's talking about, however I know she only has a Master's degree and I'm not sure that will get me a formal diagnosis here in the US.

Also, if anyone has the diagnosis letter she sends and is willing to share what it consists of I would greatly appreciate it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:26 am

If you are not interested in a formal (a.k.a., "Real") diagnosis, then a diagnosis-by-mail from anyone would work.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:26 am

Who the heck is Tania Marshall?

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2019, 11:33 am

Fnord wrote:
If you are not interested in a formal (a.k.a., "Real") diagnosis, then a diagnosis-by-mail from anyone would work.

I do want a real diagnosis. She is a diagnostic professional, just not in the same country as me. I'm not sure if it counts. I don't think it does from a government viewpoint (aka disability) but for my school, it might, I just need more information on the experiences others have had with her.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Who the heck is Tania Marshall?
Google is your friend...
Quote:
Tania Marshall provides assessment and therapy for individuals of all ages and genders, who are gifted and talented, twice-exceptional, have developmental conditions, mental health issues and Asperger Syndrome.  In particular, she provides assessment and intervention for girls and women who have an autism spectrum condition.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:36 am

mb3258a wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I do want a real diagnosis.  She is a diagnostic professional, just not in the same country as me.  I'm not sure if it counts. I don't think it does from a government viewpoint (aka disability) but for my school, it might, I just need more information on the experiences others have had with her.
You will likely need a real, formal, in-person, written diagnosis from an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health practitioner in the same country as your school.

Last edited by Fnord on 12 Nov 2019, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:38 am

There's no such thing as a "mail-in" diagnosis.

Anybody who can claim to be able to do that----is a rip-off artist.

You have to actually be seen by a trained professional---a psychologist or psychiatrist, preferably one who is trained in DSM-V autism.

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2019, 11:43 am

For those who haven't heard of Tania Marshall, she is licensed in Australia and specializes in adult, female autism (can diagnose in Australia - not sure if that carries over to the US). Claims to provide video chat services - again, not sure if a diagnosis can successfully be made this way. Her services are described as follows:

"Assessment details are as follows:

Two 2 hour appointments OR whatever combination (around 4 hours), which is spent on:

An interview to discuss family history, developmental history, childhood and teen life, why you believe you may have Asperger Syndrome

Completion of 1 or more formal assessments together

A review of a 3-4 page autobiographical description of yourself and a separate 1 page of why you believe you may have Autism or Asperger Syndrome, your experiences from your earliest memories till around age 25 (for the 4 page autobiography). This is usually sent to me via e-mail before our first appointment.

The results of the assessment are discussed and if a diagnosis is made, time is also spend on "now what?" and future recommendations, support, are discussed in terms of social, emotional, career, family, resources and so on. Privacy is assured.

I am available to do this via Skype or Facetime. You will be provided with a diagnostic letter, if at that point you meet the criteria for the female profile of Asperger Syndrome/Autism... The most up to date assessments are used."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:47 am

Just because she's a "famous" expert does not make her an appropriate reference for your local school. Ask your department head if Ms. Marshall would be enough. We don't know what your department head's standards may be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:48 am

She seems like she offers a comprehensive diagnostic interview. But----the fact is---is that she doesn't SEE YOU IN PERSON. I feel SEEING SOMEONE IN PERSON is indispensable in a proper diagnosis.

Honestly, I don't sense that any entity would accept a diagnosis from a location other than one's own country of residence. Only an Australian entity would accept a diagnosis from this person, I sense.

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2019, 11:52 am

Fnord wrote:
Just because she's a "famous" expert does not make her an appropriate reference for your local school. Ask your department head if Ms. Marshall would be enough. We don't know what your department head's standards may be.

Thank you for responding, I really do appreciate it, however the purpose of my asking (I apologize if it wasn't clear) was to hear about experiences other people have had with her diagnosis being used for things such as school. I have initiated a formal in person diagnosis where I live, but insurance only covers assessment for children younger than 6, so it would be entirely out of pocket ($3000). Before I go ahead with that, I just wanted more information on the experiences others have had with her. If it has been sufficient for others, I would most definitely confirm it with my school's services before proceeding.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:53 am

Ask your school whether they would accept an Australian diagnosis.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 11:57 am

mb3258a wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Thank you for responding, I really do appreciate it, however the purpose of my asking (I apologize if it wasn't clear) was to hear about experiences other people have had with her diagnosis being used for things such as school. I have initiated a formal in person diagnosis where I live, but insurance only covers assessment for children younger than 6, so it would be entirely out of pocket ($3000). Before I go ahead with that, I just wanted more information on the experiences others have had with her. If it has been sufficient for others, I would most definitely confirm it with my school's services before proceeding.
It would waste a lot less time and effort if you were to ask your school first before proceeding with an endeavour that likely will not render useful results for days, weeks, or even months from now.  Even then, those results would be purely anecdotal, and lot likely to apply to your situation.

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Nov 2019, 12:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
mb3258a wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It would waste a lot less time and effort if you were to ask your school first before proceeding with an endeavour that likely will not render useful results for days, weeks, or even months from now.  Even then, those results would be purely anecdotal, and lot likely to apply to your situation.

I understand why you feel this way, but I do have my reasons for preferring to gather information before bringing any of this to his attention. He doesn't require any sort of documentation - that would be our department for disability services which I probably don't need to get involved in. Believe me, I have my reasons for doing things this way, but I do appreciate your concern. I'm still trying to weigh pros and cons of getting a diagnosis and this is part of that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 12:06 pm

So ... have you already made up your mind and are just seeking affirmation?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 12:12 pm

Would would result if you obtained a diagnosis from this person?

I understand that you might be a person who doesn’t like in-person interviews.

But you should know the usefulness of this diagnosis within your specific situation—and, perhaps, in future situations.

Would this diagnosis gain you accommodations within your job or school? Or some sort of other benefit?

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 12 Nov 2019, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.