Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2019, 12:35 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
^story?

What?

:)

are you referring to a specific event there?

Mais c'est la mort qui t'a assassinée, Marcia,
C'est la mort qui t'a consumée, Marcia,
C'est le cancer que tu as pris sous ton bras,
Maintenant, tu es en cendres, cendres...

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2019, 12:37 pm

Where I live, women are expected to work. So are men.

I don't know anyone who has "a lot of leisure" unless they were born rich.

I would say it's "stupid and unfair" if anyone expects you to work and support a woman who doesn't work and doesn't do anything else.

I don't think it's stupid and unfair for one partner to work while the other does the housework, cooking, childrearing etc - for those who want to live that way.

I think it would be stupid and unfair to expect both partners to work while only one is doing the housework, childrearing etc.

Sandpiper
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2019, 1:22 pm

Jamesy wrote:
But seriously though why should I have too slave away all day doing something I hate when women can have a lot of leisure.....(

Your view of gender roles is both outdated and inaccurate.

My mum was a very traditional housewife. She performed the majority of childcare and housework tasks whilst my dad was out at work. Whilst my sister and I were at school my mum also did a part time job to earn a little extra money to give her kids a decent start in life. When my dad came home from work she had yet more work to do in looking after, and cleaning up after, him. There was precious little time for leisure in her life. This was pretty typical for women of her generation. There were few other choices unless you were very affluent.

Fortunately things got a little better for women of my generation and we had more choices and things have got better still more recently. However, whether women can have "a lot of leisure" will depend on the life choices they make. I have a lot of leisure because I choose to live by myself, so I can devote all of my free non-work time to doing the things I enjoy doing. At least I have that choice nowadays. Any man, yourself included, can make the same choice and enjoy equal amounts of leisure.

Many people however choose to live in a partnership with someone else. As a result both partners are likely to have to make some sacrifices for the benefit of the relationship, particularly if they have children. Although things have changed a lot in recent years, in the UK women still provide the majority of childcare and on average do more housework than men. Women in relationships are certainly not sitting around at home enjoying a life of complete leisure. They are typically working hard in the home whilst often also doing full time jobs.

Your belief that women can have a lot of leisure whilst you slave away at work all day is wildly inaccurate. For those woman who still choose a traditional housewife role, childcare, running a household, and looking after a partner are not leisure activities. They are hard work.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Nov 2019, 3:18 pm

Jamesy wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
There's nothing wrong with defending women. There's nothing wrong with defending men.

If you like kids, maybe you could be a good stay-at-home dad.

I wouldn't be able to be very good at that, to be honest.

Exactly thank you kratiekortie for your words of wisdom

s**t this threads been reported. I might get banned from wrong planet :?

Not all reports result in a banning. Sometimes there would be a warning, or the thread locked , edited or split. This was an unwise topic to start because it can be seen as sexism - but I don't think that was your intent.

Generalizations about anyone, be it women, men, gays, trans people or those from a particular religion are never the right thing to make. Not all women are women of leisure and not all men "slave away".

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2019, 7:20 pm

Jamesy wrote:
I personally detest working and do not want too work yet my family say too me “your a man you have to work”. Really gets me angry :evil:

Well, you could call some of the thoughts as toxic masculinity if certain expectations of men be different. But as adults we should try and be productive, earn something to contribute, while one should talk with their partner if they want to decide who "works", I have heard of cases where fathers became stay at home due to mothers making more.