Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 3:04 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/opinions ... index.html

Republicans think 52% of Democrats think "most police are bad people." The actual percentage is 15%.

Democrats think 49% of Republicans "deny racism exists." The actual percentage is 21%.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 5:44 pm

Antrax wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/opinions/perception-gap-republican-democrat-yudkin/index.html

Republicans think 52% of Democrats think "most police are bad people." The actual percentage is 15%.

Democrats think 49% of Republicans "deny racism exists." The actual percentage is 21%.

That is doubtlessly the case. It's just that minority percentage is the most vocal.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 7:44 pm

Kinda like how they've asked both Blacks and Whites in America "what percentage of the American population is Black?". Both Blacks and White estimate it to be around 25 percent. The actual percentages is only 12 percent. Both Blacks and Whites think that there are twice as many Blacks in America as there are!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 7:54 pm

There is a major problem with this.

A major American restaurant chain was selling 1/2 pound hamburgers, however, they were losing sales to a competitor that offered a 1/3 pounder for the same price.

A survey revealed that Americans were asking: why settle for a mere 1/2 pound of meat when you can full 1/3 pound of meat for the same price?

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 9:33 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

A major American restaurant chain was selling 1/2 pound hamburgers, however, they were losing sales to a competitor that offered a 1/3 pounder for the same price.

A survey revealed that Americans were asking: why settle for a mere 1/2 pound of meat when you can full 1/3 pound of meat for the same price?

Well one of the things about this particular case is that the more you know and pay attention to politics the worst your estimates will be (on average).

CNN wrote:
Consider the following question: What is the term length of a US senator?
We found that, ironically, the perception gap of people who answered this question correctly (six years) is 20% higher than those who don't. In other words, the more people know about the political system, the worse they may be at guessing what their opponents actually believe.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Did this really happen? Where did you read this?

If so...DANG! I will offer my own naturalplastic Quarterpounder for that same price...and drive them BOTH out of business! :lol:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2019, 9:52 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

If so...DANG! I will offer my own naturalplastic Quarterpounder for that same price...and drive them BOTH out of business! :lol:

All they have to do is rebrand their half pounder as a double quarter pounder. Hmm... I wonder what restaurant did that.

Edit: This might be record time I derailed my own thread.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:48 am

Antrax wrote:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/14/opinions/perception-gap-republican-democrat-yudkin/index.html

Subjective questionnaires and surveys don't actually work with conservatives who have what's known in the UK as the "shy tory factor" where questions relating to race or class are not answered honestly due to embarrassment and cognitive dissonance misrepresenting their true values/attitudes even when the survey is anonymous.

What's worse is that even implicit bias testing developed in places like Harvard are now likely to have been providing false data
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/3/7 ... est-racism

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 7:41 am

Antrax wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

All they have to do is rebrand their half pounder as a double quarter pounder. Hmm... I wonder what restaurant did that.

Edit: This might be record time I derailed my own thread.

True. :cry:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

Subjective questionnaires and surveys don't actually work with conservatives who have what's known in the UK as the "shy tory factor" where questions relating to race or class are not answered honestly due to embarrassment and cognitive dissonance misrepresenting their true values/attitudes even when the survey is anonymous.

What's worse is that even implicit bias testing developed in places like Harvard are now likely to have been providing false data
https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/3/7 ... est-racism

Shy tory effect doesn't come close to accounting for this perception gap.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/sh ... sed-trump/

Shy trump accounted for 2% of college voters or 0.71% of the electorate of the whole. Hardly a huge percentage.

Furthermore the perception gap is consistent across issues like gun control, including those not having to do with race or sex.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:31 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

I learned about it in college math.

My fractions are not right, it was between 1/3 and 1/4.

It was between McDonalds and A &W restaurants.

4 > 3 , so Americans felt 1/4 > 1/3

The Question Americans Couldn’t Answer: Which Has More Meat, A Quarter Pounder Or Third Pounder Burger?
https://theuijunkie.com/aws-third-pound-burger/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:47 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:

I learned about it in college math.

My fractions are not right, it was between 1/3 and 1/4.

It was between McDonalds and A &W restaurants.

4 > 3 , so Americans felt 1/4 > 1/3

The Question Americans Couldn’t Answer: Which Has More Meat, A Quarter Pounder Or Third Pounder Burger?
https://theuijunkie.com/aws-third-pound-burger/

Interesting.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:37 pm

Antrax wrote:
Furthermore the perception gap is consistent across issues like gun control, including those not having to do with race or sex.

The perception gap for issues relating to guns is understandable as conservatives, libertarians and democrats alike are bipartisan over gun ownership due to your constitutional rights. Sex and abortion is understandable due to hiding behind christian morality to dictate laws.

But race and class are more difficult and nowadays conservatives have to tip toe on egg shells to not look foolish when they talk about the poor or oppressed minorities. I am fairly confident the attitudes that pervaded across middle America toward race, the overweight, unattractive, disabled, feminists, environment and poverty have not really changed. However at an intellectual level conservatives have self-awareness that revealing their belief system (often implicit/subconscious) will make them look evil. So they avoid such topics. Trump was therefore like a breath of fresh air in 2016 as (everyone knows) he publicly uttered (without compunction or reservation) what pretty much all social conservatives believe but dare not say in public.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 11:29 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

The perception gap for issues relating to guns is understandable as conservatives, libertarians and democrats alike are bipartisan over gun ownership due to your constitutional rights. Sex and abortion is understandable due to hiding behind christian morality to dictate laws.

But race and class are more difficult and nowadays conservatives have to tip toe on egg shells to not look foolish when they talk about the poor or oppressed minorities. I am fairly confident the attitudes that pervaded across middle America toward race, the overweight, unattractive, disabled, feminists, environment and poverty have not really changed. However at an intellectual level conservatives have self-awareness that revealing their belief system (often implicit/subconscious) will make them look evil. So they avoid such topics. Trump was therefore like a breath of fresh air in 2016 as (everyone knows) he publicly uttered (without compunction or reservation) what pretty much all social conservatives believe but dare not say in public.

"Perception gap is real except for the one topic I think it isn't"

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 7:33 pm

Antrax wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

Do you wish to expand?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 8:22 pm

Antrax wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:

There is no fallacy in that statement.