Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:49 am

Elon Musk said his AI-brain-chips company could 'solve' autism and schizophrenia

Quote:
Elon Musk said he thinks his neural-technology company, Neuralink, will be able to "solve" schizophrenia and autism.

On the latest "Artificial Intelligence" podcast with Lex Fridman, published Tuesday, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO was asked about the most exciting effects he foresees for Neuralink, whose goal is to develop an AI-enabled chip that could be implanted in a person's brain to record brain activity and potentially stimulate it.

"So Neuralink I think at first will solve a lot of brain-related diseases," Musk said. "So could be anything from, like, autism, schizophrenia, memory loss — like, everyone experiences memory loss at certain points in age. Parents can't remember their kids' names and that kind of thing."

Musk has said the technology could be used to treat neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. He also told Fridman that it could be used to solve "critical damage to the brain or the spinal cord." But his eventual goal is to merge human consciousness with AI.

Musk has been named by some people who diagnose celebrities.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 15 Nov 2019, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2019, 6:42 am

I doubt we know enough about autism or schizophrenia to be able to "solve" them by a chip. Maybe particular issues of them like severe neurotransmitter over- or under-load, connected to psychotic events or some extreme autistic issues.
That would be something - not really "the cure" but a huge relief to those most suffering.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 8:54 am

The core symptoms of autism are caused by malformation of the cerebral cortex.

Basically in extreme laymans terms because of a neuronal migration failure the group of vertical mini columns that make up the cortex are narrower and numerically greater than in NTs.

Sadly more is less as being more densly packed the insulation between them is less. This causes a message intended for one minicolumn to end up in another, (a bit like a short circuit). This causes the sensory overload symptoms seen in ASD. It also leads to the bulk of core asd symptoms inc social problems.

So maybe in the future some sort of tech implant like they are starting to use with epilepsy will be able to regulate the messages in the cortex to basically "cure" the main symptoms of autism.

Wont happen tomorrow, but 20-30 years who knows... x

- George Bernie Shaw

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 9:16 am

Will the implantation of these chips be mandated under law?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 Nov 2019, 12:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Will the implantation of these chips be mandated under law?

This technology has a potential to do a lot of evil... a chip releasing neurotransmitters in brain could be used to practically control a human being. Yes, it could be used for easing one's suffering but it also could be used for inflicting it...
I see a potential in it, at least in severe cases, but I can't see a way to guarantee it wouldn't be used unethically.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 12:44 pm

We’re talking about YEARS of research here.

And we also have to consider that there are many causes of autism...and that a chip might have to be developed for each cause.

And we must consider the effects this chip might have on other bodily systems.

And we must remember that Musk has a history of proposing grandiose schemes that fail at least somewhat.

Musk had a plan to send men to Mars in the early 2020's. That didn't pan out.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 1:06 pm

magz wrote:
This technology has a potential to do a lot of evil... a chip releasing neurotransmitters in brain could be used to practically control a human being. Yes, it could be used for easing one's suffering but it also could be used for inflicting it...
I see a potential in it, at least in severe cases, but I can't see a way to guarantee it wouldn't be used unethically.

If such a chip were worn by everyone and if it was controlled remotely then yes, it would be very a dangerous step of controlling human beings.

However like the epilepsy chip it has the potential to do a lot of good if used for the right reasons.

For anyone interested in the "mini column" research here`s a simple cartoon giving the findings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0u7ynQ5kgk

- George Bernie Shaw

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 12:57 am

For some reason, I find Elon Musk kind of creepy.
But neurological interfaces are cool.
If you're a cyborg.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 12:18 am

If this stuff gets more commonplace I am going to ask if the Amish will let a Catholic guy hang out for a long-term stay.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 8:37 am

It bears resembkance ti a nasty device calked the Dialatrode in Marge Piercy's novel "Woman on the edge of time"

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Nov 2019, 6:32 pm

Hmmm, looks like from the quote of Musk on the OP he calls autism a disease. I beg to differ.

Although I know many autistics would take such a cure, I would not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:33 pm

There just can't be one "chip" that would cure autism. It's a pipe dream.

This guy Musk seems to have a tendency towards creating pipe dreams, even though his intentions are good, and he's obviously a very bright guy.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 10:52 pm

His intentions are only good if you subscribe to his view of a future. I for one detest the idea of a techno futuristic world dominated by Musk, Bezos, and the dead Steve Jobs. There are not enough supplies of rare earth metals to build the electric cars he is making (in tent cities, I might add) and the battles over lithium could equal battles over oil except many of these supplies are in China, so it would be a fight between global superpowers.

Long live innovation--but like an infant prince, there must be a regent to whom power is given, and I hope that this trusty regent will be simple, reliable, green vintage technology until the day we can make without waste and decadence.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 11:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Elon Musk said his AI-brain-chips company could 'solve' autism and schizophrenia
Quote:
Elon Musk said he thinks his neural-technology company, Neuralink, will be able to "solve" schizophrenia and autism.

On the latest "Artificial Intelligence" podcast with Lex Fridman, published Tuesday, the Tesla and SpaceX CEO was asked about the most exciting effects he foresees for Neuralink, whose goal is to develop an AI-enabled chip that could be implanted in a person's brain to record brain activity and potentially stimulate it.

"So Neuralink I think at first will solve a lot of brain-related diseases," Musk said. "So could be anything from, like, autism, schizophrenia, memory loss — like, everyone experiences memory loss at certain points in age. Parents can't remember their kids' names and that kind of thing."

Musk has said the technology could be used to treat neurological conditions such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. He also told Fridman that it could be used to solve "critical damage to the brain or the spinal cord." But his eventual goal is to merge human consciousness with AI.

Musk has been named by some people who diagnose celebrities.

I read a biography on him and the author claims the first thing Elon said when they met was "Do you think I'm crazy?". Seems to be some ND there, but I don't see the ASD.

His comment about memory loss comes off as ignorant. From what I understand, only about 50% of people will show signs of dementia if they live to very old age.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 12:53 am

Potentiality concerning privacy, consent and free will...

It doesn't solve or 'cure' autism.
Yet may solve autistic problems. :twisted: I'd want one for executive dysfunction.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 4:53 am

Probably alot of misunderstanding on how such a device could work.

Most of the negative symptoms of autism come from signals leaking from one mini column to another in the cerebal cortex. This is caused by the micro columns being packed too close together causing poor insulation.

The result of this is all the anxiety distorted thinking and sensory problems that make our lives a misery.

Under all this most of us have a "normal" brain and intelligence as we can see on this forum with the various posts we read.

So such a device in theory would make sure the various signals get through and go to where they were intended to go. Thats not the same as "controlling" how somebody thinks or "mind reading" the device would just be concentrated on the insulation and travel of each single signal.

Such devices are being tested in the field of spinal injuries to help people walk again.They also have an on off switch and are not controlled remotley.

- George Bernie Shaw