Page 1 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 2:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't feel like Brexit would benefit the UK any economically; it might screw them up.

It was a nationalistic thing, first and foremost.

We are living in a Post British Dark Age. We have been since 1914!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It was a nationalistic thing, first and foremost.

Not just first and foremost. Go back to pre June 2016 brexit debates and it was almost all about immigration.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 3:18 pm

Metal Rat wrote:
The British, the English particularly, seem to feel that they are hurting the Germans by leaving the European Union. In reality, they may indeed be hurting themselves most of all. Once the United Kingdom is out, then the United Kingdom itself, I deeply fear, will disassemble into its component countries: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Breaks my heart to ponder it!

Wales would simply never leave England behind as it has so little money, power etc. It also just doesn't have the strength of national identity that Scotland or NI does. IMO Northern Ireland is, to use a football term, only on loan to us anyway, it's going to go back to help create a united Ireland at some point in the future (how many years though who knows)

Now Scotland certainly could leave. A good level of devolved politics already, a very strong national identity, quite a different mentality politically to the rest of the UK (see Scotlands Brexit vote for example). They have a long way to go to prove that economically it would be successful as their claims before around oil price proved to be garbage, but many smaller nations than them have gone it alone and done well. They would join the EU so would have strength in that and Britian would end up with such a close relationship with them anyway I think they may well be just fine.

Ownership of north sea oil could lead to quite a ding dong :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 3:47 pm

firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
All the big banks and bankers, the IMF and pretty much all of the big corporations wanted us to stay in. All the neoliberals and metropolitan elites in London wanted us to stay in. But the working class and majority of the British public did not. Those with least in society and basically nothing voted for it because doing the same thing and expecting a different result is madness. And those with nothing don't have much to lose.

Most of the tripe in this thread is beyond ignorance.

Another woefully unintelligent post from you . I am neither neoliberal or one of the metropolitan elite living in London . It is the disabled and poor that will be hit hardest by Brexit .

The poorest voted to leave. How will leaving the EU hurt the disabled?

Impact on social care.

https://www.vodg.org.uk/news/government ... re-sector/

These are problems with THIS country. We cannot rely on people from foreign countries to keep pouring in. It is a lazy cop out. If pretty much everyone goes to university (so they can be ripped off by the state) no younger people are going to be carers. We can keep laws similar to the EU ones that you are keen on (if we get the right government). We need to stop being so pathetic and become a self sufficient country again.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:27 pm

No, not until the Brexit crowd start reaching the end of their natural lifespans. Unfortunately there's a lot of dead weight holding the UK back.

Scotland and Northern Ireland might have a future, but that future may be as independent nations instead of as parts of the not-so-United Kingdom.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:29 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
No, not until the Brexit crowd start reaching the end of their natural lifespans. Unfortunately there's a lot of dead weight holding the UK back.

Scotland and Northern Ireland might have a future, but that future may be as independent nations instead of as parts of the not-so-United Kingdom.

Northern Ireland could join the Republic of Ireland.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

I am sure many Americans will become disillusioned with Great Britain in any event. There will no longer be as many Anglophiles as there used to be. The magic is gone, never to return. The UK might not have an actual future, except as separate countries.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 4:36 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

Would you prefer just to kill those people off now that you disagree with? I mean for f**k sake this is pure Nazism.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Nov 2019, 4:43 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:
The British, the English particularly, seem to feel that they are hurting the Germans by leaving the European Union. In reality, they may indeed be hurting themselves most of all. Once the United Kingdom is out, then the United Kingdom itself, I deeply fear, will disassemble into its component countries: England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland. Breaks my heart to ponder it!

Wales would simply never leave England behind as it has so little money, power etc. It also just doesn't have the strength of national identity that Scotland or NI does. IMO Northern Ireland is, to use a football term, only on loan to us anyway, it's going to go back to help create a united Ireland at some point in the future (how many years though who knows)

Now Scotland certainly could leave. A good level of devolved politics already, a very strong national identity, quite a different mentality politically to the rest of the UK (see Scotlands Brexit vote for example). They have a long way to go to prove that economically it would be successful as their claims before around oil price proved to be garbage, but many smaller nations than them have gone it alone and done well. They would join the EU so would have strength in that and Britian would end up with such a close relationship with them anyway I think they may well be just fine.

Once Scotland leaves, London will be too weak to hold onto Northern Ireland then. Very scary!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:27 pm

Ive heard talk of Scotland leaving the UK, and becoming....

the eleventh province of Canada!! !!

Which is not quite as insane as it sounds. But its still kinda crazy. :lol:

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:33 pm

I have my tools ready to help rebuild Harrison's Wall.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:53 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Would you prefer just to kill those people off now that you disagree with? I mean for f**k sake this is pure Nazism.

Since it's largely generational, there's no need for violence. I'm sorry you've been triggered. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 5:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

the eleventh province of Canada!! ! !

Scotland can be Canada's new Newfoundland. 8O

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:05 pm

Metal Rat wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
Metal Rat wrote:

Once Scotland leaves, London will be too weak to hold onto Northern Ireland then. Very scary!

The idea of Scotland leaving the UK doesn't actually worry me tbh. I wouldnt choose for it to happen and rather it didn't, but maps do get carved up in europe every few years with new independent nations emerging. I think its likely that England & Scotland would remain so closely linked that in the majority of ways you wouldnt notice much difference tbh.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:11 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Since it's largely generational, there's no need for violence. I'm sorry you've been triggered. :lol:

Haha. Brave of you to rejoice about people dying and to try and wind me up behind your keyboard. Go and tell some elderly people to their faces you are waiting for them to die. Or do it in front of their sons and daughters. But you won't of course. Not without your keyboard miles away.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2019, 6:13 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

the eleventh province of Canada!! ! !

Scotland can be Canada's new Newfoundland. 8O

Better than that. Scotland would become "New Nova Scotia" ("New 'New Scotland'"). :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 15 Nov 2019, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.