How much does a cheap diamond ring cost?

Page 1 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 3:09 am

Would it be possible for me to get one in the low thousands? I don't really know how much these things are supposed to cost. I've never shopped for them, I hope I don't end up in one of the high end jeweler were everything has a 5 or 6 digit price tag.

Yes I know that diamonds are a complete scam thanks to de beers hoarding tactics but my girlfriend really wants one for her engagement ring, thanks to de beers marketting tactics for making her believe that diamonds are THE jeweler for engagement rings and because all her friends received one from their boyfriends.

I reanny want to give her something she will like because she's already spent so much money on me (over $90,000) I feel like I should give her something in return or else I feel like I'm taking too much and giving too little.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 4:22 am

Most men I know do know that diamonds are scam but yet most are still obliged to buy it because their women expect them to; your case is so typical: man thinks diamond is s**t but the woman loves it expects him to buy one for her. Realistically, like most men on earth in that case, I don’t think you have a choice.

Umm...btw, she spent $90,000 on you? Does she have a single sister? :p

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 2:39 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Would it be possible for me to get one in the low thousands? I don't really know how much these things are supposed to cost. I've never shopped for them, I hope I don't end up in one of the high end jeweler were everything has a 5 or 6 digit price tag.

Yes I know that diamonds are a complete scam thanks to de beers hoarding tactics but my girlfriend really wants one for her engagement ring, thanks to de beers marketting tactics for making her believe that diamonds are THE jeweler for engagement rings and because all her friends received one from their boyfriends.

I reanny want to give her something she will like because she's already spent so much money on me (over $90,000) I feel like I should give her something in return or else I feel like I'm taking too much and giving too little.

Perhaps you could find one at a thrift shop :lol:

I agree about them being a scam though, I hate at work when the radio is on and the stupid diamond commercials come on. I just don't understand how people still fall for it.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 2:41 pm

Remember, if you buy it while you are out of the country either you or her will have to declare it ay Customs and pay duty and tax on it. If you don’t declare it it can be seized and will cost lots to get back.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2019, 8:52 pm

According to the Internet:

On average, according to jewelry industry estimates, diamond engagement ring prices range from $3,500 to $5,000. That includes the cost of the diamond and the setting, which can add a few hundred or a few thousand dollars to the cost depending on the metal type, the ring design and any side stones you choose to add.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 6:50 am

You can get a halfway decent diamond ring of 1 karat for the low thousands. Maybe like 2-3 thousand Australian.

Google “Diamond Clarity Scale.”

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 7:23 pm

Do they still have crack jack boxes with prices in it? Try one of those toys machine? If I get married, I don’t need a diamond ring, the man that women are marrying are the most important. I was into diamonds when I was younger, I think I had real diamonds earrings, I don’t care for diamonds anymore.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 7:30 pm

Kitty has to be kidding!

Cracker Jacks, in the old days, used to have a fake ring as a prize. Little boys used to give little girls those rings—when they were about 6 years old.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 8:47 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Kitty has to be kidding!

Cracker Jacks, in the old days, used to have a fake ring as a prize. Little boys used to give little girls those rings—when they were about 6 years old.

I still have the first ring a boy ever gave me! It’s not much above Cracker Jack level. When the band broke once, he soldered it back together! Nice pink stone, with lump of solder beside it. It’s very special though. I’ve kept all of these years. :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 9:47 pm

He was handy, I must say.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 1:52 am

Listen to the ladies here and give her a toy ring.

That will lead to another funny and dramatic thread soon.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 2:07 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Listen to the ladies here and give her a toy ring.

That will lead to another funny and dramatic thread soon.

Only if he buys her a doughnut to go with it!

(Sometimes a joke ring can work. Sometimes not. Timing is everything.)

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 2:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Perhaps you could find one at a thrift shop :lol:

Maybe not a thrift shop, but second-hand jewelry isn't a ba didea. Turn it in to a jeweller for cleaning, and it's good as new.

Look around for auction-houses and pawn shops.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 7:36 am

I spent a total of $500 on BOTH our wedding rings and they look nice: mine for example is made of 10 karat gold and looks no different than a $3000 ring. I don't know how anyone could possibly afford to spend that much on a small piece of jewelry, especially one that can easily be lost! I can also think of a lot better things to spend that kind of coin on like a new family car or several mortgage payments.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 10:01 am

You really don't want to take a chance----that a woman might really know diamonds!

Cubic Zirconia don't look like diamonds at all.

10 karat gold is less than 1/2 gold. I wouldn't even consider buying 10-karat gold ring for my girl. 14-karat is my lowest limit.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 10:10 am

Easy way to tell real diamonds from fake ones: real diamonds are very cold to the touch.