Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 6:28 pm

I am yet again reaching levels of stress I forgot were possible. My attention span is awful, I feel anxious 24/7 but in a weird giddy way and it has got to the point that when I step into the college my eyes instinctively begin to tear up. I can enjoy some things which is different for me but doing basic things like brushing my teeth is something I have to mentally prepare for for about an hour. I don't even remember when I last showered which makes me feel worse which makes things worse. I think I will probably have a meltdown in lesson soon and it is getting harder and harder to cope. My repeatedly becoming sick has stopped me from exercising, including my physiotherapy, meaning that now when walk it feels like my knees are grating against my bones and as I don't have any visible problems, I'm not necessarily going to be guaranteed a seat on my HOUR or more journey home. To top that off, my not so savoury thoughts about life have returned after awhile and I'm beginning to suspect I am depressed yet again. I think I now understand why autistic kids grades can suddenly drop.

The last time I complained about this I was urged to rest from school but that isn't an option at the moment, if anything, the pileup will make it worse. I am sleeping more and will start exercising again since I've just stopped being ill. Are there any other options for me but rest? Does this count as burnout?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 6:36 pm

lvpin wrote:
I am yet again reaching levels of stress I forgot were possible. My attention span is awful, I feel anxious 24/7 but in a weird giddy way and it has got to the point that when I step into the college my eyes instinctively begin to tear up. I can enjoy some things which is different for me but doing basic things like brushing my teeth is something I have to mentally prepare for for about an hour. I don't even remember when I last showered which makes me feel worse which makes things worse. I think I will probably have a meltdown in lesson soon and it is getting harder and harder to cope. My repeatedly becoming sick has stopped me from exercising, including my physiotherapy, meaning that now when walk it feels like my knees are grating against my bones and as I don't have any visible problems, I'm not necessarily going to be guaranteed a seat on my HOUR or more journey home. To top that off, my not so savoury thoughts about life have returned after awhile and I'm beginning to suspect I am depressed yet again. I think I now understand why autistic kids grades can suddenly drop.

The last time I complained about this I was urged to rest from school but that isn't an option at the moment, if anything, the pileup will make it worse. I am sleeping more and will start exercising again since I've just stopped being ill. Are there any other options for me but rest? Does this count as burnout?

It seems like quite a difficult time. Rest all you can is all I can say. I hope all works out ok. The difficulties are when like that is you will have so much stress that actual learning is almost impossible. So the sooner you can get a break the better. I hope this helps. I know it is not ideal....

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 7:14 pm

Sorry to hear where you're at, Iv. When you're under duress like this, the best advice is rest as much as you can, as MG said. Sounds like you're doing that, by sleeping more. Rest and time management. Any advice is easier said than done when you're both stressed and depressed. Learning does become much harder, your concentration, etc, so your basic needs like sleeping, eating, keeping yourself warm, exercising gently when you can, and basic hygiene, being kind to yourself, are all even more important. A calendar reminding you that you are due a break soon, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Are you able to enjoy a few moments each day doing things you actually enjoy eg reading a book, music, destressing etc?

At this time of the year, College life tends to be entering the crazy phase with assignments, and workload. You'll be on the home stretch soon, in terms of having a few weeks off for Christmas, but until then, you need to survive as best you can. I'm thinking ... maybe draw yourself up a simple plan for mornings and challenge yourself to stick to it, or as close to it as possible. eg having a morning shower at 7am, breakfast at ...., etc etc. Sounds like you're really struggling with things at the moment, but keep telling yourself, it's temporary, because it is. You just need to take it one day at a time. Know that you're cared about here. Are your parents supportive?

My daughter used to come home from College at 16 totally shattered and would fall asleep on the couch within minutes. She was a high achiever like you, very intelligent, and we later learned that she had an autoimmune disorder which was causing her extreme fatigue. I used to make her energy milkshakes. Not saying you may have any issues like that, but please keep your nutrition up, rest lots, and if you need multivitamins, or extra this or that, depending on where your body's at, be aware that this could also be having an impact. Hormones etc at 16 can really put you through your paces. Sending virtual hugs and hoping you get through, and start feeling more energised, more healthy again soon. Hate the though of you tearing up upon entering College each morning. Shouldn't be like that ... just a few more weeks to get through .... behind you 100%.x

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 8:47 pm

Online college

Meditation

Medical doctor

Paratransit

Leave of absence

Get a diagnosis and disclose to school. Reasonable accommodation

Take fewer units

Support group

Khan academy

PoseyBuster88
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2019, 9:21 pm

For the commute, maybe get a knee brace or something to be a cue to others that you are in pain. That may help you get a seat.

You can also try talking to your professors. Many of them are nice people who are happy to help as long as you ask BEFORE finals week and you are sincere. Maybe there are ways they can help you find class less stressful. If talking in person is too much, you could try email first.

I also don't know what all your obligations are right now, but it may help to have one day per week when you don't do any schoolwork. So if Sunday is your day off, that may mean you do extra work Saturday, but you have that glorious Sunday to look forward to. Having something to look forward to really helps with depression and burnout, especially if you catch it early. If a day off isn't doable, maybe you have 2 hours on Friday when you can do whatever you want and eat ice cream. Or whatever works for you.

I also help motivate myself with rewards...like "I can watch my show for an hour AFTER I wash my hair." Or "If I eat this whole bowl of broccoli, then I can have ice cream." Sounds dumb, but it helps. I also give myself 15 minute warnings/timers to change activities.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 2:32 am

Juliette wrote:
Sorry to hear where you're at, Iv. When you're under duress like this, the best advice is rest as much as you can, as MG said. Sounds like you're doing that, by sleeping more. Rest and time management. Any advice is easier said than done when you're both stressed and depressed. Learning does become much harder, your concentration, etc, so your basic needs like sleeping, eating, keeping yourself warm, exercising gently when you can, and basic hygiene, being kind to yourself, are all even more important. A calendar reminding you that you are due a break soon, that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Are you able to enjoy a few moments each day doing things you actually enjoy eg reading a book, music, destressing etc?

At this time of the year, College life tends to be entering the crazy phase with assignments, and workload. You'll be on the home stretch soon, in terms of having a few weeks off for Christmas, but until then, you need to survive as best you can. I'm thinking ... maybe draw yourself up a simple plan for mornings and challenge yourself to stick to it, or as close to it as possible. eg having a morning shower at 7am, breakfast at ...., etc etc. Sounds like you're really struggling with things at the moment, but keep telling yourself, it's temporary, because it is. You just need to take it one day at a time. Know that you're cared about here. Are your parents supportive?

My daughter used to come home from College at 16 totally shattered and would fall asleep on the couch within minutes. She was a high achiever like you, very intelligent, and we later learned that she had an autoimmune disorder which was causing her extreme fatigue. I used to make her energy milkshakes. Not saying you may have any issues like that, but please keep your nutrition up, rest lots, and if you need multivitamins, or extra this or that, depending on where your body's at, be aware that this could also be having an impact. Hormones etc at 16 can really put you through your paces. Sending virtual hugs and hoping you get through, and start feeling more energised, more healthy again soon. Hate the though of you tearing up upon entering College each morning. Shouldn't be like that ... just a few more weeks to get through .... behind you 100%.x

Yes I can enjoy some things for a little bit now which is a change from earlier this year where my life was surviving through classes and sleeping. However it feels like I have payed an additional price in return for being able to enjoy things in other areas as stress makes it hard for me to eat which makes everything else harder. I think I am going to try to make some sort of calendar where I do things at set times because it will make doing things more mindless which takes the stress off.

My mum is really supportive but as she has a bunch of things going on with her is often really drained and while she doesn't go on about it or anything, I can tell that the stuff with me really stresses her out. She does help me out with things but I think her way is a more deal with the problem and then talk. It makes sense though as she has people from all sides asking things of her.

Also I doubt I have another autoimmune disorder (I had alopecia for awhile which was linked to what I think counts as a trauma) but I will try to fix my eating. Currently due to stress it isn't great as my diet is essentially: some sort of pastry w/ a huge amount of fruit and whatever my mum cooks. It's just a few more weeks so that's good.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 5:17 pm

PoseyBuster88 wrote:
For the commute, maybe get a knee brace or something to be a cue to others that you are in pain. That may help you get a seat.

You can also try talking to your professors. Many of them are nice people who are happy to help as long as you ask BEFORE finals week and you are sincere. Maybe there are ways they can help you find class less stressful. If talking in person is too much, you could try email first.

I also don't know what all your obligations are right now, but it may help to have one day per week when you don't do any schoolwork. So if Sunday is your day off, that may mean you do extra work Saturday, but you have that glorious Sunday to look forward to. Having something to look forward to really helps with depression and burnout, especially if you catch it early. If a day off isn't doable, maybe you have 2 hours on Friday when you can do whatever you want and eat ice cream. Or whatever works for you.

I also help motivate myself with rewards...like "I can watch my show for an hour AFTER I wash my hair." Or "If I eat this whole bowl of broccoli, then I can have ice cream." Sounds dumb, but it helps. I also give myself 15 minute warnings/timers to change activities.

I'm thinking of asking my teachers if I can use fidget/stress toys or something in class because in order to concentrate I need to be able to channel extra energy into something else. Teachers find doodling annoying so maybe that would be a good alternative. I'm wondering of that's adding to my stress because while my teachers like me and think of me as hard working, I'm often picked up on for looking at the ceiling etc.

I think I'll maybe make Sunday my rest day as it's just before the college week begins again. Also I never thought of a reward system. The way I'm wired just made me think of negative things ie. I'd probably go "I'm too lazy/any other insult to take care of myself so may as well eat a tub of ice cream and biscuits and juice etc" so I'll try rewording it in my head.

Also to shortfatbalduglyman I can do some of the recommendations so thank you because my problem solving skills aren't great, despite working on them.

I appreciate all the advice so thank you everyone!!