Reading The Mind Through The Eyes Test (RMET)

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 4:21 am

Apparently people with autism and asperger's aren't meant to do particularly well on this test, but I got 29/36 correct, and it says I did better than 74% of participants.

It says the average score for British adults was 26, the average score for British students was 28, and the average score for (British?) people with asperger's and HFA was 22.

You can take the test here

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Nov 2019, 1:01 pm

I got 24. I felt I was doing a lot of guessing. But also, the fact that there are only 4 possible answers for a given picture means that one can to some extent home in on an answer, at least for some of them, by a process of elimination. One does not have the luxury of such clues in real life!

I feel a much more realistic test could be constructed in which for each question there would be the same long list with all the possible emotions that are being tested to choose between. That way, one could not get clues by elimination. I think in my case, at least, it would more sharply reveal that without prompting, I really haven't got much idea at all, for most of them, what the emotion is.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 1:17 pm

Your score is 31 out of 36.
Your score is equal or better than 89% of all participants.

Okay ... so why do I have difficulty understanding what my wife means when she says she is "Fine"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2019, 9:54 pm

I got 26. I didn’t agree with any of the choices for a number of them.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 6:35 am

One thing I bet that online test does not measure and which it ought to is the time taken to answer each of the questions.

Because each time saw the picture and the four options, my first thought was to tick the missing fifth option which was "None of the above", and I got my good score by working Backwards from each of the four options to find which seemed the best fit, just like I do in multiple choice exams if I don't know the answer immediately.

And doing this in real life is going to result in misunderstanding and people thinking I a staring at them or other non standard and possibly rude or creepy eye contact.

Shaunrhync
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Nov 2019, 6:47 am

Hello all!

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 11:51 am

I believe it is more to do with how interested one is in the practise. When young, I wasn't aware of body language or eye contact, but on trying some tests, I found I too was more proficient than average. I still don't trust it, though, and wouldn't want to relly on it in real life!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 12:42 pm

cant get the test to load. The preliminary stuff loads. But then the actual test doesn't load.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 12:48 pm

rowan_nichol wrote:
One thing I bet that online test does not measure and which it ought to is the time taken to answer each of the questions.

Because each time saw the picture and the four options, my first thought was to tick the missing fifth option which was "None of the above", and I got my good score by working Backwards from each of the four options to find which seemed the best fit, just like I do in multiple choice exams if I don't know the answer immediately.

And doing this in real life is going to result in misunderstanding and people thinking I a staring at them or other non standard and possibly rude or creepy eye contact.

A good post . Doing it face to face with someone would be, for me at least, much more difficult .

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 3:39 pm

Your score is 21 out of 36.

randomusername
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

I have asperger’s, and in general I am AWFUL at reading people’s emotions, one of my friends could Ben super upset about something and I wouldn’t wouldn't even notice. I felt like I wasn’t guessing a lot. I got 25/36

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 12:11 am

Your score is 31 out of 36.
Your score is equal or better than 89% of all participants.

Starting I felt I'd do okay but would probably end up with crappy results disproving what I was thinking lol But turns out I was right =o

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Nov 2019, 7:46 am

I scored 30/36. That was a bit better than I expected. I am not terrible at reading emotions based on face by any means. There are certain things I get confused and when little microexpressions go by in real time and applying it to the real world, certain things get lost on me.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 5:31 pm

Shaunrhync wrote:
Hello all!

Would members please be wary of first posts like the above that suddenly appear, completely off topic, in threads like this which has nothing to do with "getting to know you". They are very often fake accounts made by a tenacious group of spammers - the same ones who use various sock puppets to recommend spam links to one another - and each new "identity" tends to start with a seemingly innocuous one or two word post like this.

They usually claim in their profile details to be in the UK or USA, though few of the IPs actually are, and there are often spelling mistakes in their few fake profile details.

If you aren't sure, be on the safe side and make a report anyway, we can check it out.

There have been several new account actually stemming from Moldova and Ukraine popping up over the past week, this one was from the Ukraine. Possibly these may accelerate now that the USA election is coming up..

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 9:50 pm

Thanks for posting that, B19 and also for the suggestion/recommendation for us to report such posts if for nothing else than to at least be looked into. I'm also suspect of first posts that post in the love and dating section right "out of the gate" and launch immediately into how awful an alleged autistic partner (usually male) is. I believe many of those are likely agenda driven trolls out to besmirch people with autism. I'm going to report those to you as well if they seem to fit a pattern.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 10:50 pm

Thanks Magna.