Is Aspergers conflated with narcissism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Redd_Kross
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2021, 6:36 pm

uncertaingoblin wrote:
This topic is of interest to me because throughout my life people have often accused me of thinking I'm better or smarter than they are. I've never claimed to be smart, or even competent. However, the same people who note that I have terrible self-esteem and tell me that I am, in fact, not stupid, will also say things to me like "well I'm sure you've just forgotten more about it than I'll ever know" I don't understand these two understandings can be applied to the same individual. I am very, very tired of people thinking I am saying I am better than them, or they think I'm annoying to talk to because I "think I know everything" or whatever. I don't know very much. Perhaps I know a bit about a few specific topics. But it's really aggravating because I never see it coming when people more or less accuse me of being an as*hole. This is really difficult to deal with in workplace situations and family situations. So, I figure I would ask here, although I recently made a thread asking this (RE tone of voice.)

Does anyone have any tips or tricks they can use to help with the issue of people thinking one is being a jerk due to the way they talk? Can these problems be mitigated? I try to remind myself to just simply not speak but it's very difficult to do.

Disclaimer, as always, I am not diagnosed, I do not know if I am in fact on the spectrum, but, I seem to have the same challenges as many people here so I am hoping to find some pointers or advice.

I think this is mainly down to NTs having a much finer degree of finesse when it comes to context, social value judgements (status, 'rights', esteem, vulnerability etc.), general emotional understanding, and instinctively knowing how to say the right thing at the right time.

I think we can learn some things from around the edges, I don't believe complete mastery of this is within our capabilities, though. Except maybe learning to keep quiet if you're not 100% sure.