Is anyone hearing the global hum right now

Page 1 of 9 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 12:46 pm

I don't know if I am hearing the actual global hum now or if it is something else but I can't stop hearing this low pitched hum and it has been going on for days. Nothing I do is able to stop it. It is making me so overwhelmed to the point of incapacitation. I know that a couple of you said that you can also hear the global hum. Do you hear it right now?

Wreck It Ralph

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2019, 1:46 pm

No idea.
I hear hum all the time, long as I can remember.
Gets worse with fatigue and anxiety.
I do hear it now.
I hope you get better soon.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 1:56 pm

At about what frequency range?

Human hearing is only good down to about 17 Hz, which is too high to detect the Schumman frequency of 7.83 Hz.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
At about what frequency range?

Human hearing is only good down to about 17 Hz, which is too high to detect the Schumman frequency of 7.83 Hz.

Some autistic people may have a hearing range that's a little different from most other people's.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:16 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Fnord wrote:
At about what frequency range?  Human hearing is only good down to about 17 Hz, which is too high to detect the Schumman frequency of 7.83 Hz.
Some autistic people may have a hearing range that's a little different from most other people's.
Is that a fact or mere speculation?  Normal human hearing frequency range is from about 20 Hz to about 20 kHz -- sometimes as low as 12 Hz, and sometimes as high as 22 kHz.  I know of no valid study that has proven "super-hearing" for aspies only.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2019, 2:22 pm

Schummann resonances are electromagnetic, humans don't hear electromagnetic waves.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:27 pm

Ten years ago they called it "The Taos Hum" because folks were hearing it in Taos New Mexico. Then they began to hear it in the UK, and in all sorts of spots on the globe.

Havent heard about it much of late, so I didn't realize that its now called "the global hum".

No.

I haven't heard it yet. Havent had the privilege.

Whereabouts do you live? I think that you have said that you live the mountains of western Pennsylvania.

Is this thing low pitched? Do you feel through your feet as well as hear it?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:33 pm

magz wrote:
Schummann resonances are electromagnetic, humans don't hear electromagnetic waves.
If an EM wave impinges on the right material (or an appropriately-tuned transducer), then the resulting audio may be heard.  This was the principle of the crystal/cat's-whisker radio receiver.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2019, 2:35 pm

Crystal/cat's whisker radio adapter does not play the base frequency, it decodes AM.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:42 pm

magz wrote:
Crystal/cat's whisker radio adapter does not play the base frequency, it decodes AM.
If the modulating frequency is below hearing range, the cat's-whisker will still detect it, even if the listener cannot actually hear a frequency that low.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2019, 2:45 pm

Anyway, I'm sure the hums I hear have nothing to do with Shummann resonances.
I hear my own blood. I'm sure other hums are also created inside my body and my brain fails to tune them out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:51 pm

I have never heard this "Global Hum" nor even the "Taos Hum" when I was in New Mexico, so I suspect that what people are hearing has more to do with the power of suggestion than with any actual sound.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Nov 2019, 2:51 pm

Here is my theory.

If a sound is travelling away from you the pitch goes lower, right? Doppler effect.

Well. If you think about it there must be millions of phones ringing around the world right now at this precise moment. Chances are more of them are moving away from you than towards you.

Add up the noise from all those phones ringing and dopplering to a lower frequency and there is your hum.

On the other hand it could just be distant traffic noise. The multitudinous thwack of vulcanised rubber on a pothole edges.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 2:56 pm

harry12345 wrote:
... If a sound is travelling away from you the pitch goes lower, right? ...
Wrong.  If the source of a sound is moving away from you, then the pitch of the sound it is producing will seem lower than if the source had remained stationary.  Conversely, if the source of a sound is moving toward you, then the pitch of the sound it is producing will seem higher than if the source had remained stationary.  THIS is the Doppler Effect.

Your theory fails on first principles.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Nov 2019, 3:08 pm

Fnord wrote:
I have never heard this "Global Hum" nor even the "Taos Hum" when I was in New Mexico, so I suspect that what people are hearing has more to do with the power of suggestion than with any actual sound.

I sometimes hear or even more feel some very low-pitched noise, just at the threshold of hearing, but I always interpreted is as some resonances between buildings, traffic, nearby constructions, underground trains, etc.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

22 Nov 2019, 3:49 pm

I can't hear any hum where I live, but that comes as no surprise considering a semi-busy two lane highway in addition to typical neighborhood sounds. Here's an interesting NBC news article from 2013 on the phenomena.

https://www.nbcnews.com/sciencemain/mys ... 6C10760872