Things in Your Childhood that Had a Magical Impact

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

23 Nov 2019, 5:05 pm

Two Rod Serling Night Gallery episodes that aired together entitled "The House" and "Certain Shadows on the Wall."

Sears 80mm f/15 long focus refractor telescope.

Walt Disney World's "Electrical Water Pageant."

The Dean Martin roasts.

Kimball electronic organs.

Coney Island Amusement Park in Cincinnati, Ohio.

The Swamp Fox roller coaster at Family Kingdom Amusement Park in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Gatlinburg, Tennessee (the entire tourist town) and The World of the Unexplained Museum (formerly The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic) that used to be there.

Cudjo's Cave (now Gap Cave) at Cumberland National Park in Virginia.

View Master and Tru Vue 3D slides and projectors.

Oh ... there are many more things, but I might post some later. What were some of the things that seemed really magical when you were growing up?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2019, 5:22 pm

Living in a caravan on a farm in Devon. Wandering around all day looking under every rock for insects and finding other animals such as newts, frogs and grass snakes.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 7:03 am

Christmas was always so magical when I was small. The school always made it such a magical time, and the navitity play added to the happy atmosphere. We sung Christmas carols in assembly and when it was our last day before the Christmas break we had a non-uniform day and played games and had a special Christmas lunch and snacks.

It was always so exciting and I used to go to bed on Christmas Eve wondering what toys awaited inside the wrapping paper under the Christmas tree. Christmas morning was probably the best day of the year. My mum wouldn't let us open our presents until she was ready, because she loved to watch us opening presents. :lol:
Then the rest of the day was filled with play and fun, and grandparents used to often come for Christmas dinner, bringing more presents for me and my brother.
Boxing day was exciting too because that was when I'd see my cousins and we would show each other what we got and play with each other's toys.

God I want those days back. :cry:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 9:15 am

There's only one that I could definitely recall as 'magical' as possible.

Not sure if it's my late childhood or my teens.
It was that one Christmas eve or New Year. Not sure which, it was a cold and dry season.

I was alone, sitting in a dark room, while everyone else was celebrating outside.
The still lit Christmas lights just reflected from the window through the curtain gaps and the noises outside were muffled. Just bright enough that I can see things right at front of me.

It was just me, with a doodle notebook, a handicraft (forgot which), a plate of cake, some snacks and a mug of warm chocolate on the table... The balcony door was open, letting the cool breeze in... On the floor nearby were just gifts both open and unopened.
No social media, no visitors to bug me -- they're outside...

The most calm of all nightly holidays I had. It was also one of my happiest memory.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Nov 2019, 5:06 pm

The mention of Christmas!! ! Yes. Very magical for me too. A couple things came to mind from reading the previous posts (thank you for posting). I remember so well how wonderful it was to go to my grandparents' house on Christmas day after I had opened my presents and eat a big noontime dinner where my aunts and uncles had gathered.

In those days leading up to Christmas I used to look forward to night when Dad turned on the colorful lights on our house. I would gaze them through my bedroom windows while I was getting ready to sleep. I used to set up a cardboard decorative fireplace in my room that had a revolving transparent thing over a light bulb making it look like there was a real fire in it. I would turn out the lights in my bedroom and watch it. And I often had my own little table top Christmas tree that I would enjoy.

And on New Years Eve I would get to stay up late and wait for the new year to come in. Then, Mom, Dad, and I would watch those scary movies they used to show through the night.