Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2019, 11:08 pm

I've been using an x220t i7 Thinkpad for 2 or three years now. I wound up rebuilding that machine into something rather faster than my 2015-6 Dell XPS & I still have it. More recently I decided I was permanently through with bottlenecked computers.

I bought a carbon lid 4k P1 gen. 2 - basically an X1 Carbon Extreme with a Xeon & 4x the memory. :lol: :nerdy:

Does anyone else here dig these surprisingly useful little machines?

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 7:34 am

I like my ThinkPad. It's a P50 from 3 years ago, not the highest specs and not the lowest, and cost me about 3000 EUR at the time. My main reason for buying it was that I wanted a machine which could support my special interests (AI art generation, 3-4 gigabyte image editing, etc.), but which was also compact enough to carry around (hence the P70 was out of question). There are some lingering driver issues but performance-wise it's been a nice ride. I'm also a fan of the design. It hasn't changed much over the years.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 7:28 pm

Interestingly enough the ThinkPad design language was commisioned by IBM from a German/Italian designer & bought by Lenovo later.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Sapper

My friend has a W580 that we view similarly, he's also got a regular x220 & is considering a Carbon or an X1 Tablet. Judging by my impressions of the P1 so far, I doubt I'll ever be buying anyone else's laptops ever again, as long as they're selling these things. There would have to be a significantly earth-shaking design of undeniable superiority for me to be swayed.

It may interest you to know I paid similar or somewhat less cash for this new model with a Wacom screen - the digitizer wasn't even in the released specs but I kind of just took it for granted & voila, it shipped with Wacom AES built in, so I can choose between a number of styli.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 7:31 pm

For reference, here's some stock pics of what I'm using, since these are literally anonymous black boxes to those who don't know:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 7:43 pm

I liked Thinkpad, because they have one of the lightest weight laptops with a full size keyboard. I use it in my work and have to carry it all over the place. But last year, I was trying to choose between a Thinkpad and a Dell inspiron. I chose the latter and it was a mistake. All kinds of trouble with it and some of it not covered by the extended warranty. :(

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2019, 9:18 pm

My Dell Precisions at work are ThinkPad knockoffs & my old one is fine (it's a brick) but the 7510 I use for a primary workstation is terribly disappointing. It's on the second motherboard already & just doesn't measure up to what I can do on the cheaper Lenovos.

Mercifully I have access to a XEON tower that was gifted to my team.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2019, 3:52 am

I'd never been that interested in ThinkPads until a couple of years ago.

Someone sent me a box of old surplus ThinkPads, including an A31. I rather like the A31, its been very useful. Only downside is that its big and heavy, and the battery doesn't last long (to be expected; its a Pentium 4).

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2019, 4:09 am

Yeah, they are really good value to buy second hand and cheap to upgrade. Mine hit the floor and has an issue with the battery but I'll replace it with another one now that I'm to them.

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Dec 2019, 12:27 am

Yes! :) I love Thinkpads, typing this on a T510 right now! Bought my first Thinkpad in 2003. R60, I think?

The old IBM designs were more robust than the new Lenovo designs, but they are still very good laptops.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 2:21 pm

I bought this yesterday:

Item:
ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 4

Received*
Qty:
Price:
$1,452.65
Part No: 20QF0016US
Configuration Details
● Processor: 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-8665U with vPro™ (1.90GHz, up to 4.80GHz with Turbo Boost, 4 Cores, 8MB Cache)
● Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64
● Display Type: 14.0" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS, AR/AS, touchscreen, with Dolby Vision™ HDR400, 470 nits
● Memory: 16GB LPDDR3 2133MHz (Soldered)
● Hard Drive: 1TB SSD PCIe
● Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
● Graphics: Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620
● Camera: IR & 720p HD
● Pen: ThinkPad Pen Pro
● Fingerprint Reader: Fingerprint Reader
● Keyboard: Backlit - US English
● Wireless: Intel® 9560 802.11AC vPro™ (2 x 2) & Bluetooth® 5.0

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 3:30 pm

That's a super nice machine, if I could do everything I needed in Linux I'd probably be using one of those. I got a Wacom stylus for the big P1 & it's awesome, although it's going to take me quite some time to learn all the CAD I want to know through it.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2020, 11:08 pm

I was tempted the other day to purchase an x230 for $70 although I wasn't certain what the exact specs were because it wasn't listed in the description.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 3:32 am

Those are well worth it in general, particularly with an i5 or i7.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Jan 2020, 5:37 pm

I love the ThinkPad! I have an Asus Chrome book and 6 ThinkPads of various years. an L-50, X220, X-240 and some others. I just kept them as they got old. The old ones are just so heavy now, but they have great keyboards.

I am writing this on a 10 year on a 9 year old ThinkPad running Windows 10. It has an i-7 processor and I put a 2 Terrabyte hard drive in it, and except for being too heavy to carry around, (it must have been light compared to other laptops when it first came out) it is a great computer and does everything you could possibly want from a modern laptop.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2020, 9:26 pm

T410
Got it a while back from a guy on ebay who sells them.
It's the only Windows computer I own. Mainly use it for OpenSCAD and 3Dprinting.
Heavy... but I don't carry it around too much.
Also... thought I had a poor battery, bought a new one... still didn't work on battery power.
Then a power brick was purchased... still not keeping a battery charge.
So now I'm thinking it's software or hardware inside this laptop.
I use my Acer R11 for portable computing (crouton with Ubuntu, installed).

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 6:54 pm

cberg wrote:
Any ThinkPad Fanatics Here?

Me! I've been using a Thinkpad X230. During winter I carry it around in a jacket that has an extra large inside pocket. People always get surprised when I pull a laptop out of my clothing.

I've also got a Thinkpad 11e. I really want to get a Thinkpad Carbon.

As a consumer, I think laptops made for consumers are crap. Commercial use laptops are the way to go (even when I'm not using them for commercial purposes).