Son Asking for Social Security Number

Page 11 of 11 [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 4:47 am

I wish you luck. Of course.

Beijing is not exactly New York at this point. They’ve found like 50 cases, all of them originating from a particular market. Just take precautions. I wouldn’t uproot myself at this point. I’d watch for developments, though.

I’m not a “positive thinker,” by the way.

Have you been to the Forbidden City?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 7:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish you luck. Of course.

Beijing is not exactly New York at this point. They’ve found like 50 cases, all of them originating from a particular market. Just take precautions. I wouldn’t uproot myself at this point. I’d watch for developments, though.

I’m not a “positive thinker,” by the way.

Have you been to the Forbidden City?

I've not been to the forbidden city cause of the corona virus. And, the cases have increased.

In a SWOT analysis my opinion is parents over emphasize looking at strengths and weaknesses over opportunities and threats. There are a few opportunities but a lot of threats. Older parents don't understand that a number of employers require prospective candidates to do personality tests in which the questions are extremely general, vague and abstract. And, some of these tests will have 100-150 questions. Will your child be able to know what these questions mean and will your child be able to sustain his/her concentration on them?

And, another thing what services are out there for your child when they become an adult especially if they start to have issues? I looked up what services were available in the atlanta area on the ticket to work program. And, there are only 3 or so places for a 100 miles that provide services with those with mental disabilities. Not much to choose from! I've been to voc rehab twice. Terrible experience! They don't understand autism/aspergers/ASDs at all. Truth is Voc Rehab and other places are over-worked and under-staffed.

These are some of the kinds of threats a child with ASDs will face.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 6:52 am

I’ve rarely encountered these sorts of personality tests—except within retail jobs. I don’t advocate retail jobs for those with ASD.

You don’t get those sorts of tests when applying for clerical office jobs, usually.

I would emphasize the education of my child over anything else.

Was it very cold this past winter in Beijing?

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:15 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’ve rarely encountered these sorts of personality tests—except within retail jobs. I don’t advocate retail jobs for those with ASD.

You don’t get those sorts of tests when applying for clerical office jobs, usually.

I would emphasize the education of my child over anything else.

Was it very cold this past winter in Beijing?

Kraftie even places like Kroger are expecting others to do them just to be courtesy clerks.

And, as for education. It's not enough. Employers prioritize experience over education. And, that's an issue for most of those with ASDs especially if getting experience is a social game.

And, as for IT the issue with IT is they require years of experience for everything and you still have to have some social skills as well.

Finally, getting a job requires a person to pretend to be something they're not especially in an interview. What if the ASD person doesn't feel right about this?

And, yes it was a biting cold. My hands hurt.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:22 am

cubedemon6073 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
If my mother used “defensive pessimism,” I wouldn’t be where I am today. I would be on permanent SSI.

Maybe! Maybe not! But, the possibility exists that you could've ended up on SSI anyway. Kraftie, therein lies the issue right here. The problem with positivity and optimism is that no one thinks that the child may not be able to do it and no contingency plan is made. What if DW did all she could do for her child to get him to be independent and it still does not work?

These are things I think parents really need to sit down and discuss and really think through even before having a child especially in the USA. You can't just deny the negative and focus on the positive which is what the USA does. One has to look at the negative and think rationally and logically to come up with contingency plans and solutions.

The problem with positive thinking in general that our society demands is that people focus so much on the bright side that they never ask "what if it does not work?" Not just with disabilities. From there, no contingency plan is ever thought of. Can you truthfully express a negative thought or an issue with something without being called negative or others saying you're worrying to much? No, one can't. It has become socially unacceptable to express a negative though at all even if one is asking to put in a place a solution to a problem that others did not think of.

Sorry Kraftie if I'm ranting and have offended you my friend! I'm just frustrated that's all. I let myself get suckered into a debate on positivity on a different forum when I should've been doing more productive things. The problem with a mind (myself) who naturally thinks in this lateral way and has difficulty compartmentalizing his thoughts is that somethings that may be related but only in a minute way causes me to think back to the past. This whole positivity thing is one of the reasons I got out of America when I saw an opportunity.

And, with cases in Beijing hopefully I will be able to get out of Beijing to go where I got to go. With me luck and keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you believe in all of that. If not, just simply wish me luck with all of this.

Thinking of you cube, you are extremely brave to uproot yourself to Beijing, hope you find peace and fulfillment :heart:

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 12:24 pm

Teach51 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
If my mother used “defensive pessimism,” I wouldn’t be where I am today. I would be on permanent SSI.

Maybe! Maybe not! But, the possibility exists that you could've ended up on SSI anyway. Kraftie, therein lies the issue right here. The problem with positivity and optimism is that no one thinks that the child may not be able to do it and no contingency plan is made. What if DW did all she could do for her child to get him to be independent and it still does not work?

These are things I think parents really need to sit down and discuss and really think through even before having a child especially in the USA. You can't just deny the negative and focus on the positive which is what the USA does. One has to look at the negative and think rationally and logically to come up with contingency plans and solutions.

The problem with positive thinking in general that our society demands is that people focus so much on the bright side that they never ask "what if it does not work?" Not just with disabilities. From there, no contingency plan is ever thought of. Can you truthfully express a negative thought or an issue with something without being called negative or others saying you're worrying to much? No, one can't. It has become socially unacceptable to express a negative though at all even if one is asking to put in a place a solution to a problem that others did not think of.

Sorry Kraftie if I'm ranting and have offended you my friend! I'm just frustrated that's all. I let myself get suckered into a debate on positivity on a different forum when I should've been doing more productive things. The problem with a mind (myself) who naturally thinks in this lateral way and has difficulty compartmentalizing his thoughts is that somethings that may be related but only in a minute way causes me to think back to the past. This whole positivity thing is one of the reasons I got out of America when I saw an opportunity.

And, with cases in Beijing hopefully I will be able to get out of Beijing to go where I got to go. With me luck and keep me in your thoughts and prayers if you believe in all of that. If not, just simply wish me luck with all of this.

Thinking of you cube, you are extremely brave to uproot yourself to Beijing, hope you find peace and fulfillment :heart:

Thank You Teach!

Teach, I have to say the Chinese are extremely helpful especially when you're lost. One guy used his navigator and walked me where I was trying to go in Beijing.

I can tell you it is a more communitarian society here.

Teach, I will be teaching 10-12 IT and programming. Would you be willing to provide me tips please on teaching and classroom management?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2020, 4:03 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
cubedemon6073 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Thank You Teach!

Teach, I have to say the Chinese are extremely helpful especially when you're lost. One guy used his navigator and walked me where I was trying to go in Beijing.

I can tell you it is a more communitarian society here.

Teach, I will be teaching 10-12 IT and programming. Would you be willing to provide me tips please on teaching and classroom management?

Sure, I'll PM you tomorrow :heart: