Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 3:37 pm

Do you also get bothered by introductions and background music in informative videos? For years, I have been irritated by having to wait through traditional film-style introductions to videos. I think that when I have picked them out from all the other selections on line, I am sufficiently introduced, and should get right to the news.
Lately, I have noticed a rapid adoption of something like looping electronic jazz as a background for narration. It has been scientifically proven to tickle the subconscious to prevent boredom, even if the words are not worth listening to. When I notice the noise, often half-way through, I click off, angry at being manipulated.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 4:00 pm

Putting a music bed under an announcer's voice is not a new thing. They've done it in radio forever.

But, yes, on U tube you can get annoyed at some long intros by vloggers, so you have to move the slider to the right to get past it to get to the topic.

U Tube has some rather illiterate Vloggers as well. One guy mentioned a shipwreck off of the "Cannery Islands".

The reason they call those little yellow birds "canaries" is because they were first discovered on the islands of that name. The islands are not named after fish canning factories. LOL!

Oddly enough the Canary Island were discovered by the ancient Romans, and then were rediscovered by the Spanish conquistadors a thousand years later. When the Romans found the islands they were over run by wild dogs. So they named the island after the Latin word for dog. The Spanish redicoverers didn't find any dogs, but they found the birds. So the birds are indirectly named after dogs. But I digress.

And a sincere young lady hosted a vid about "the Mandela Effect", and she told us that "I don't know who Nelson Mandela was, but I know that he was a South African man.".

Sad. Sad that she doesn't know what the South African equivalent of Washington, Lincoln, and MLK jr., combined is famous for. And sad that the younger generation associates his name more with this pseudo scientific phenom, than they associate it with what he is actually famous for.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 4:11 pm

I hate it when the background music seems too loud and too distracting to listen to the voice speaking. Quieter background music is OK.

What I get pissed off about is the long introductions:-
"Before you watch my video don't forget to subscribe to my channel, click the like button and check out the link I've put in the description, so that you won't miss any new videos, blah blah blah......" AHH!! Just get on with the video already!
YouTubers seem to think that just because you're watching their video it means you are a fan of their channel, but in most cases it's not like that with me. I only happen to click on their video if it fits what I'm looking for, like a Google result.

Anyway, I don't subscribe to anything, even if I do become attached to a particular YouTuber. I just hate being bombarded with anything. The more bombarded I am, the quickly I become tired of what I subscribed to.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2019, 5:25 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Putting a music bed under an announcer's voice is not a new thing. They've done it in radio forever.

But, yes, on U tube you can get annoyed at some long intros by vloggers, so you have to move the slider to the right to get past it to get to the topic. <snip>

Formerly, the music resembled something a symphony would play, even if it was just mood music without dialogue in a drama. This new tinkle stuff is designed to work subliminally, and never get interesting enough to be listened to on its own accord.
When I jump around in a video, I have to guess how far to go, and hope I have not missed something. It is not nearly as convenient as reading. There are also a lot of presenters who repeat everything up to a half-dozen times, prompting more teeth-gnashing skipping by anyone paying attention. To your list of complaints, I'd add that there are far more instructions posted by people who have made something for the first time than those who have real experience in how to work and what will last.
Video operates on a mind that is almost hypnotized, as shown by eye blink rates, etc. I became very aware of the hazards when I had been meditating, and not seen any TV for some years. I visited my mother, who kept her set on, and watched a bit while she was busy in the kitchen. At first, I was almost splitting my sides laughing at how blatant the manipulation in the commercials was. I didn't see how anyone could fall for it. After a half hour, that awareness had retreated back into my subconscious.