Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 11:45 am

Since Microsoft is closing maintenance on Windows 7, I will have to move to Windows 10. :evil: Being an aspie, I do not like changes. :-(

I have to use Windows because of state requirements.

I have an ultralight laptop for my work in the field. It has windows 10 on it.

I have always had a desk top type computer in my office. Now, I am hearing that I should get a laptop for my office too.
BUT, due to age and infirmity, I have to have a giant size monitor (I think it is 24 inches) and a full regular keyboard. Almost all my work in the office is on the computer. I work at the computer for hours at a stretch.

I am told now that I can use the laptop in my office and attach my large monitor and keyboard to the laptop. In theory I would need only one laptop to run the entire operation. I don't like that due to the number of computers I need in home, office, in the field and don't want to always be moving it around. I also like having at least two computers so that if one goes down, I am still in business.

What I need in a computer is: as fast as possible, able to keep lots of windows open at one time, store a lot of files. Most files are docs or spreadsheets. I do have more and more pictures. I have to connect to state VPN and another encrypted website.

My data is backed up in the cloud.

I am willing to spend up to $1000.

Should I get a desktop again? Or another laptop? If so, please give me specific recommendations because my brain goes to mush talking about RAM and processors.
Thank you.

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:19 pm

I really can't believe they are "stopping maintenance" on Windows 7. It's only been 10 years since it started.

I believe you can upgrade from Window 7 to Windows 10 for less than $1,000. Possibly less than $200.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:32 pm

The last word in getting numbers crunched is a ThinkPad as we were discussing. If I were you, I would go looking for their lighter specced 15 or 16 inch screen models, if you want to simply drop a grand I would go for a mid-model ThinkPad X1 15“ with 16gb of RAM & that's about it, unless you need to uprate the drive capacity.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:34 pm

Thanks, Kortie.

My desk top is very old, so it is time to get a new one anyway. I have a newer one, but it is also windows 7. It is my back up computer.

I hate change....big surprise. :D

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:37 pm

cberg wrote:
The last word in getting numbers crunched is a ThinkPad as we were discussing. If I were you, I would go looking for their lighter specced 15 or 16 inch screen models, if you want to simply drop a grand I would go for a mid-model ThinkPad X1 15“ with 16gb of RAM & that's about it, unless you need to uprate the drive capacity.

And I can attach this thinkpad to my big monitor and keyboard? If so, what do I use to make the connection?

What is the drive capacity and why might it need upgrading?

Thank you.

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:40 pm

ThinkPads are very upgradable, I'd say anywhere from 128gb on up to what I just bought with the option for 4 terabytes & eventually more. Monitor adapters can charge new laptops through a single cable that's also running your usb stuff, display(s) & network.

You can buy some very cost effective tiny desktops as well, Intel actually sells their own models directly. The complete (not a kit) NUC micro desktops are quite affordable for the power since they're designed by the same company making the chipsets.

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Enthusiast-Windows-Gunmetal-BOXNUC7I7BNKQ/dp/B077B5CSWZ/ref=asc_df_B077B5CSWZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5988071524502742276&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028723&hvtargid=pla-455686262622&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=62412137260&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309779531175&hvpos=1o7&hvnetw=g&hvrand=5988071524502742276&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028723&hvtargid=pla-455686262622

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:43 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I really can't believe they are "stopping maintenance" on Windows 7. It's only been 10 years since it started.

I believe you can upgrade from Window 7 to Windows 10 for less than $1,000. Possibly less than $200.

You can buy a Windows 10 Pro license key for about 5 US dollars on eBay.

As comfortable as it may be, a lot of code was too poorly managed to allow for reintegration of the Windows 10 backend.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:51 pm

There was a 12 Gigabyte RAM, 2 Terabyte Hard Drive computer on sale for $599.

I would say, if you have $1,000 to spare, that you get a brand new computer. You can get a very decent computer for $1,000 these days.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:00 pm

These days I'm pretty strictly recommending solid state drives unless it's just going to stay on one desk. My roommate jumped on a machine in that range & it's upgradeable to 24gb RAM which would futureproof you very well.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:11 pm

Cberg is pretty much an expert on computers.

I'm not.

But, come to think of it, I wouldn't bother upgrading to 10 from 7 from an old computer. I'd get a new one.

Since you need your computer for work, I'd get more a "commercial"-type computer.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:16 pm

Thank you cberg and Kortie. I will be weighing the Thinkpad and the Intel mini. I had no idea they were making "desktop" computers so small.

This computer will sit on one desk. Very rarely, if ever, moved.

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:28 pm

I would make sure the keyboard is large enough for you to type comfortably.

I, for one, cannot type on a small keyboard.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:57 pm

The hacking crowd tends to buy ThinkPads for the keyboard feel & (usually the centered "minus ten" layout without the number pad), in addition to the fact that they're standard fare on the international space station.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Cberg is pretty much an expert on computers.

I'm not.

But, come to think of it, I wouldn't bother upgrading to 10 from 7 from an old computer. I'd get a new one.

Since you need your computer for work, I'd get more a "commercial"-type computer.

That's frankly a good instinct, I don't even use consumer PCs at home. Microsoft also frequently doesn't combine the necessary software to support big jumps in terms of version upgrades. It even happened to a high end desktop build my friend just tried a new 10 version on, probably because his motherboard was sufficient in terms of power but not new enough.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 8:52 am

I have ordered from Amazon:

Intel NUC 7 Enthusiast

I would never have even known about this option without being pointed toward it. Thank you cberg. I have not been so excited about a computer until I got my first ultralight.

I remember going on a plane with one of the first ultralights and working on it during the trip and everyone up and down the rows wanted to see this tiny computer. :-)

usually hold tighter.

Threnody, Dorothy Parker