Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 2:42 pm

These aren’t verbatim but they are similar to what I’ve heard people say.

“Artists do drugs and starving artists in Austin are losers!”

“Austin is Californicated! It’s full of gays and communists!”

“Trump is a Christian and so is Pence! They are good people!”

“Liberals can’t be in the military, only conservatives can!”

“Goth kids did the Columbine shooting!”

“God killed John Lennon because he was an atheist!”

“Democrats have taught our children for the last 40 years! We are done for unless we do something!”

“I don’t understand why so many Jews are liberals!”

“Guns don’t kill people! People kill people!”

“Potheads are depressed and virgin losers!”

“The end of the world is coming in 100 years!”

“Christianity is a religion of love! Islam is hate!” (Even though many of those who say this are homophobic, sexist, and racist)

“Women can’t be president! Women argue!”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 3:15 pm

No matter where you go people are going to say stupid stuff (or at least stuff you don’t agree with). The key is to not let it get to you.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:20 pm

Forgot some others.

“You don’t live in Africa so quit complaining!”

“You aren’t a brown person so stop being depressed!” (My older brother is especially fond of saying this.)

“You need to go to church! God will tell you what to do! He still has a plan for you!”

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 6:41 pm

My family would beat yours when it comes to idiocy any day:

It’s been suggested that I gave my son autism by choosing to get him vaccinated.

My grandmother doesn’t want to expend energy thinking or devoting any time to me and my son because we’re both gonna die in Armageddon. She’s all over her other great grandson and has pictures of him all over her house. She wouldn’t even come out to see me when I drove my mom there to help her and carried the luggage up to the landing.

My aunt: “Kids just need to be educated well enough, so they can read the Bible.” As far as literacy is concerned, her kids have just hit that mark.

Grandmother: reads side effects of necessary medications, refuses to take them, gets pneumonia, very slowly recovers, then, yet again, refuses to take her medications...

Aunt: homeopathy is better because real doctors are intentionally keeping you sick so they can make more money off of you. She supposedly knows someone whose cancer was cured by homeopathy.

Years ago:
my grandmother: Let’s go to Bethel (cult compound in NYC).

Me: I’d rather go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Grandmother: (and I quote) “They have pretty pictures at Bethel.” 8O They have tacky, childish illustrations, but no “pretty pictures.” I was there when I was 6. I still think of that massive meltdown that I had during the first 20 minutes of the tour with pride. One of my finer moments in life...

Generally, not getting invited to family events because I’m “bad association” for not being a good cult member.

And, of course, hearing repeatedly as I was growing up that women are inferior, etc.

I win! :P

It would be fun to have a “stupid family” thread...

Everyone has some stupidity in his or her family.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:05 pm

My older brother told me I was going to Hell and beat me senselessly. I thought he was going to kill me at the time.

I wanted to prove him wrong in that you don’t need to be a hyper aggressive alpha male to have a girlfriend but I couldn’t. Thanks for nothing to all those who told me being nice would get me a girlfriend.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:23 pm

Marknis wrote:
My older brother told me I was going to Hell and beat me senselessly. I thought he was going to kill me at the time.

I wanted to prove him wrong in that you don’t need to be a hyper aggressive alpha male to have a girlfriend but I couldn’t. Thanks for nothing to all those who told me being nice would get me a girlfriend.

Has he beaten you up as an adult and since people told you that or did this occur in childhood?

It’s very strange to think that a few examples reflects the world or your area in general.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:41 pm

My brother used to beat me up, too.

I still think it's decent if you are a nice guy (not a "nice guy Trademark"). I consider myself on the "nice" side. And I've done okay, despite being short and chubby and awkward.

It's better if you get a girlfriend as a nice guy, rather than some idiot thug.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:56 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Marknis wrote:

Has he beaten you up as an adult and since people told you that or did this occur in childhood?

It’s very strange to think that a few examples reflects the world or your area in general.

He abused me as a child but the incident I mentioned indeed happened to me as an adult.

The same experiences I get just keep repeating themselves and I am exasperated. I wish I blew my brains out like I thought I had to do when I was 17 and fast approaching adulthood but still couldn’t even ask a girl out.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 7:58 pm

My brother tried to beat the crap out of me on my 21st birthday----because I criticized the fact that he was talking about "n*****s" in my neighborhood (I lived in a mixed area then).

My brother used to try to smother me in blankets....he really didn't like the fact that I existed.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:10 pm

Did you ever get to prove him wrong in anything if he’s still alive? I still haven’t proved my older brother wrong and it makes me want to kill myself sometimes.

Not only did being nice fail for me, I am not getting any younger. I’ve actually been told I can’t talk to women my age or in their 20’s and that I am only compatible with “grannies”.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:12 pm

I don't have to prove ANYTHING to my brother.

He's a jerkoff as*hole. And he remains a jerkoff as*hole even at age 64.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:22 pm

Marknis wrote:
Did you ever get to prove him wrong in anything if he’s still alive? I still haven’t proved my older brother wrong and it makes me want to kill myself sometimes.

Not only did being nice fail for me, I am not getting any younger. I’ve actually been told I can’t talk to women my age or in their 20’s and that I am only compatible with “grannies”.

Ultimately, you should be living your life for you, not for anyone else.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2019, 8:48 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I was always told to live my life for God and I still get told the “He has a plan for you!” crap despite how I tell them my faith shattered due to depression.

Whenever I am around my siblings, I am the only one of them who isn’t married and has children. I hate it so much but my hands are tied.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2019, 8:38 pm

Marknis wrote:

Marknis wrote:

Whatever you do or succeed at, you will never prove your brother wrong, as he always'll find excuses to put you down no matter what: it's not about been right or wrong, it's about him abusing you.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 7:19 pm

Marknis wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:
Marknis wrote:

I was always told to live my life for God and I still get told the “He has a plan for you!” crap despite how I tell them my faith shattered due to depression.

Whenever I am around my siblings, I am the only one of them who isn’t married and has children. I hate it so much but my hands are tied.

Lots of people tell you things that are wrong. While I wouldn't prioritize proving your brother or anyone else wrong, at the same time it sounds like you've got loads of people around you who give you bad advise that clearly doesn't help you but possibly even doesn't help them. Prove them all wrong by formulating your own path out. What would you advise someone in a position similar to yours? Perhaps someone who wouldn't consider suicide, so that isn't an alternative to dealing with the misery and hopelessness. It certainly will carry risk, it certainly will involve dealing with new stresses and discomfort but it will break the current cycle that's clearly harming you by leaving you feeling this way constantly.

I know people on here often advise you that a change of surroundings would likely serve you well. Would that be possible to plan for?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う