Is eating alone in a restaurant now a big taboo?

Page 6 of 6 [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ManWithoutaTribe
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Dec 2019, 12:02 pm

I've never had trouble, or have felt out of place, and I eat alone most of the time, only occasionally at restaurants. But that's usually fast food or buffets. I suppose that the vibe is different in more formal, sit down and wait for your food restaurants.

I actually prefer going to restaurants alone, since I don't have to keep up chit-chat with whomever. I can eat what I want (I am vegetarian) without anyone paying attention to what I've ordered, how much I tip (I'm a good tipper), etc. And, there is not that awkwardness regarding "where do we go."

I've found a handful of restaurants where I feel comfortable, and stick to those. Love curry/Indian food the most!

demeus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:31 pm

I go to restaurants all of the time alone (and some very nice ones at that as I can afford it) and no one has ever stared at me. I don't think it is taboo at all and if anyone does not like it, that is their business, not mine.

Now, I understand that some restaurants have a certain dress codes and you have to conform to them. That would be taboo not to. Beyond that, I have the money and how I want to spend it and with who, again, is my business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 12:32 pm

There really are not all that many restaurants which adhere to a strict dress code these days.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2019, 6:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There really are not all that many restaurants which adhere to a strict dress code these days.

I guess it'd depend on 'strict'. It's not too unusual to see "no flip-flops" or "no shirt no service" in restaurants which aren't in high-class areas. It's a little rarer to see "no t-shirts", but I've run across it once or twice.

Generally, the highest-class restaurants don't have a posted dress code because it's assumed that if you can afford to eat there, you'll already have the requisite social knowledge regarding the appropriate dress code. And I don't think I've ever seen a place which would refuse a patron who was wearing businesswear. (*Maybe* a nightclub, but they have different ideas about the image they want to project.)

Username765
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2019, 10:04 pm

i don't know why you would want to eat at a restaurant alone

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 11:21 pm

^^^the answer to that, is one involving the enjoyment of restaurant-quality food that one may lack the wherewithal to make on one's own, and if other people don't share our interest, their loss.

Username765
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Dec 2019, 11:48 pm

auntblabby wrote:
^^^the answer to that, is one involving the enjoyment of restaurant-quality food that one may lack the wherewithal to make on one's own, and if other people don't share our interest, their loss.

that's a very good idea

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2019, 12:08 am

Username765 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

that's a very good idea

and for you, a senior discount might be granted ;)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 9:32 am

Leon_Trotsky wrote:
Since I am quite a solitary person, I tend to eat in restaurants by myself instead of with friends, and obviously without girlfriend/wife. If I travel I do the same, just table for one.

However, I notice that here where I live people really seem to dislike people who eat alone in restaurants. When I eat alone I notice that a lot of people stare at me, especially couples composed of boyfriend/girlfriend or wife/husband. Some would give me "the eye" when they glare at me even.

I looked this topic up on the internet. Apparently some people here say that if they have to eat in a restaurant and they are by themselves, they ring a friend to accompany them, to avoid being ridiculed for eating alone in a restaurant.

Every time I go to a sit-down restaurant, the couples that are seated next to me stare constantly and try to look at me when they think that I do not notice them. Some stare at me then whisper to their partner something, and this process repeats.

A few months ago I ate dinner alone at a French restaurant here. I was seated in between two couples. All four people from both couples kept staring at me and then lowered their voices when talking to their partners. Then they stared again and again. I was close to asking them sarcastically, "May I help you?" or something similar.

Is this something new? I have never heard of how eating alone in a restaurant is considered odd. Is this a new-fashioned taboo thing?
I eat alone in restaurants. I actually find it very difficult to eat with other people. Last night my kayaking group went out for burgers. The club pays for a burger night every year at our last practice of the year. They put three tables together so that we could all sit together. But I had to sit at my own table by myself because eating in too close proximity with others is too difficult for me because there is too much going on as far as sensory stimulation. So honestly, I think that anyone who has a problem with people eating alone in a restaurant needs to get a life. Why should they be bothered if someone chooses to eat alone? That makes no sense to me at all. I think that kind of attitude is extremely rude and stupid.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2019, 9:34 am

Username765 wrote:
i don't know why you would want to eat at a restaurant alone
Because you enjoy the food there. I don't go to restaurants to socialize. I go because I want to eat that particular food.

Wreck It Ralph