700,000 Americans Citizens May Lose Food Stamp Benefits

Page 1 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Nov 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 55,388
Location: Portland, Oregon

04 Dec 2019, 7:02 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/nearly-700-000-will-lose-food-stamps-usda-work-requirement-n1095726


_________________
Silly NTs, I have Aspergers, and having Aspergers is gr-r-reat!


TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

04 Dec 2019, 7:08 pm

Maybe 700,000 starving people will be enough to kick off the next civil war? :wink:


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Jun 2019
Age: 52
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,552
Location: Everville

04 Dec 2019, 7:30 pm

Glad to see that they are not targeting children, elderly or disabled.


_________________
Disagreeing with you doesn't mean I hate you, it just means we disagree.


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,039
Location: Queens, NYC

04 Dec 2019, 7:33 pm

There won't be a Civil War.

Trump will lose 700,000 votes-----votes that he really NEEDS.

Don't forget: people on Food Stamps vote, too.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

04 Dec 2019, 7:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There won't be a Civil War.

Trump will lose 700,000 votes-----votes that he really NEEDS.

Don't forget: people on Food Stamps vote, too.


Sometimes I have a hard time believing that anything would shake off his voters. He might somehow convince them that starving to death is the best thing for them. :shrug:


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,188
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 7:38 pm

Like the article says, food stamps was never intended to be a way of life. It's supposed to be there for those who have no other alternative as emergency aid. Someone loses their job, they get unemployment pay and food stamps to tide them over. But there are many who make it a way of life rather than go back to work for a living. I am talking about people who are literally being lazy and irresponsible and are taking what belongs to the genuinely needy.



TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

04 Dec 2019, 7:43 pm

EzraS wrote:
Like the article says, food stamps was never intended to be a way of life. It's supposed to be there for those who have no other alternative as emergency aid. Someone loses their job, they get unemployment pay and food stamps to tide them over. But there are many who make it a way of life rather than go back to work for a living. I am talking about people who are literally being lazy and irresponsible and are taking what belongs to the genuinely needy.


And how exactly will the government be able to find the difference? IF they bother?

The government is pretty well-known for screwing over people like us Aspies.


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,188
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 7:50 pm

People have to apply for food stamps. They are supposed to meet certain requirements in order to get them.

It's like how the government decides who gets handicap parking. Which is another system of aid that's abused.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,740
Location: Stendec

04 Dec 2019, 7:59 pm

Basic Food Stamp Eligibility

Eligibility for food stamps depends on several factors, starting with income and family size. A family's income must be within the Federal Poverty Guidelines for family size, which usually change annually. Applicants must also have limited assets and other financial resources. If an applicant owns a home and/or has a small bank account, these items generally are not considered countable assets, though under certain conditions vehicles may be counted as assets.

Other Eligibility Factors

In most cases, adults ages 18 through 50 without dependent children can only get food stamps for three months. To receive food stamps longer, they must work or be enrolled in a work training program. Legal immigrants are eligible to receive food stamps if they have lived in the United States for at least five years. The residency requirement is waived for people receiving disability assistance or children of any age.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

04 Dec 2019, 8:01 pm

EzraS wrote:
People have to apply for food stamps. They have to meet certain requirements in order to get them.


If it wasn't for my mom I could never get foodstamps because they ask me all kinds of complex questions that I don't have the answers to.

And without them if my mom passes away someday I'll be left starving and homeless since I can't work. Hell I cant even drive and there's no public transportation to take me to work here.

But I'm sure that'll be my own fault since I'm supposed to "Get a job you lazy bum!" In a country where even when you get a job you're not likely to make enough to actually survive on. And college is now a big waste of money for most people.

Oh well, maybe I can join a gang or whore myself for money to buy food? :chin:


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,188
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 8:16 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
EzraS wrote:
People have to apply for food stamps. They have to meet certain requirements in order to get them.


If it wasn't for my mom I could never get foodstamps because they ask me all kinds of complex questions that I don't have the answers to.

And without them if my mom passes away someday I'll be left starving and homeless since I can't work. Hell I cant even drive and there's no public transportation to take me to work here.

But I'm sure that'll be my own fault since I'm supposed to "Get a job you lazy bum!" In a country where even when you get a job you're not likely to make enough to actually survive on. And college is now a big waste of money for most people.

Oh well, maybe I can join a gang or whore myself for money to buy food? :chin:



You should be bothered by people who don't need it taking what you do need rather than worry about the government cracking down on them.

Social workers exist for the very reason you're talking about, to help people the way your mom is helping you. I have never felt that the system is unwilling to help me and others who really need the help. I do however think the system has been too accommodating to those who don't.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,740
Location: Stendec

04 Dec 2019, 8:23 pm

Does anyone actually know someone who is cheating the Food Stamp program?


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 23 Apr 2019
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,102
Location: Um...

04 Dec 2019, 8:28 pm

Fnord wrote:
Does anyone actually know someone who is cheating the Food Stamp program?



Well to be frank, just about everyone I know is on food stamps...


_________________
The Hearts teach us to feel pleasure and pain.
The Diamonds teach us to enjoy that we gain.
The Clubs teach us to work the goals we aim.
The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,188
Location: Twin Peaks

04 Dec 2019, 8:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
Does anyone actually know someone who is cheating the Food Stamp program?


No. I also don't actually know someone who burglarizes homes.

I do see young men in the 7 Eleven buying lots of over priced junk food with EBT cards.

Convenience stores like 7 Eleven have been required to sell real food like fruit and vegetables. But that's not what I see being bought. A lot of that kind of food probably ends up getting tossed out.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 66,039
Location: Queens, NYC

04 Dec 2019, 8:35 pm

7-11 doesn't sell fresh fruits/vegetables. They do sell frozen vegetables, though.