700,000 Americans Citizens May Lose Food Stamp Benefits

Page 4 of 7 [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 12:50 pm

This would be quite similar to "workfare," actually.

It was said that these 700,000 people would have to work 20 hours a week to maintain food stamp eligibility.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 1:42 pm

EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Again, how do average citizens like us spot SNAP/Welfare fraud? What are the signs? What should we look out for?
I don't see how that is an issue. The issue as I see it is how the government decides who is eligible and who is not. I think the conversation got side tracked over the issue of people who qualified selling their food stamps and whatever...
Oh, quite right ... sorry about that.

I'm just one to focus my righteous indignation on things that I can influence or control, that's all.

Carry on!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 2:11 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
This would be quite similar to "workfare," actually.

It was said that these 700,000 people would have to work 20 hours a week to maintain food stamp eligibility.

I'm watching the video in the article and the claim is that Trump is trying starve people of color. Even though the pie chart being displayed shows 35.8% white, 25.4% black and 16.5% Hispanic. With most of the rest as unknown. With whites being nearly half of that pie, I don't see how that's targeting people of color. And it says 688,000 people would be affected. Not 700,000 people will go hungry. This just looks like it's being used as an attack on Trump. That's not a poor Donald statement. Just pointing out what the main objective of the story seems to be.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 2:35 pm

EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Thats because hard working people like my parents and my aunts and uncles who are parents, will be the ones who end up paying for all that extra free stuff to just about anyone who says 'gimme'.

You make it seem like we're wanting to hand out Bentleys here or something. We're not. It's making sure people have the basic necessities, like food and health care, so they can fulfill their potential. Because how do you have equality of opportunity if you're broke, are barely paying for food or health care to survive, and stuck in a dead-end job?

"We're"? Are you a Democrat politician? Let's get that part settled before getting into any more possible situations where when I'm talking about them, I'm supposedly talking about you personally.

So what part of "we're" are you, a governor, a senator, a congressperson, a mayor?

You really do insist on flattering me. :D

But no, I do not hold political office, nor have I ever. Neither am I nor have I ever run for political office.

In that case kindly refrain aligning yourself with them as if you were. Especially when it comes to things like posting in the moderator attention thread that I was attacking you personally when I said they want to control the world.

I'll speak like I normally speak, thank you very much.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 3:10 pm

beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:

Thats because hard working people like my parents and my aunts and uncles who are parents, will be the ones who end up paying for all that extra free stuff to just about anyone who says 'gimme'.

You make it seem like we're wanting to hand out Bentleys here or something. We're not. It's making sure people have the basic necessities, like food and health care, so they can fulfill their potential. Because how do you have equality of opportunity if you're broke, are barely paying for food or health care to survive, and stuck in a dead-end job?

"We're"? Are you a Democrat politician? Let's get that part settled before getting into any more possible situations where when I'm talking about them, I'm supposedly talking about you personally.

So what part of "we're" are you, a governor, a senator, a congressperson, a mayor?

You really do insist on flattering me. :D

But no, I do not hold political office, nor have I ever. Neither am I nor have I ever run for political office.

In that case kindly refrain aligning yourself with them as if you were. Especially when it comes to things like posting in the moderator attention thread that I was attacking you personally when I said they want to control the world.

I'll speak like I normally speak, thank you very much.

Like you're a politician who feels personally attacked when I talk about them? Okay.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2019, 6:45 pm

beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Looking at the details here, it looks like the Trump Administration is targeting people it considers to be slackers:

Quote:
Under current rules, work-eligible able-bodied adults without dependents and between the ages of 18 and 49 can currently receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don’t meet the 20-hour work requirement. But states with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

The new rule imposes stricter criteria that states must meet in order to issue waivers.

The new plan will strip states’ ability to issue waivers unless a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6% or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trum ... quirements

Their belief seems to be that if you take their food away, you will make them desperate enough to go out and find a job, and people always having a job and earning money themselves is assumed to always be a good thing.

One concern about this for me is that this would give employers greater leverage over low-income workers and force them into situations where they do not have time to follow other pursuits that they may find more beneficial. It may force people facing discrimination or who have low job skills to have to settle for a crappy low-paying job. They may also have undiagnosed conditions like depression that interfere with their ability to get a job, but would not be able to get the disability exception because it's undiagnosed.

Those are just some problems with the change that I can think of.

Don't worry. This is will only be until a Democrat POTUS takes over in 2020. Then the floodgates will be opened to gush out lots of free stuff for eveyone. Even for those in the US illegally.

Who would pay for all of it?

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 2:51 am

Magna wrote:
beneficii wrote:
EzraS wrote:
beneficii wrote:
Looking at the details here, it looks like the Trump Administration is targeting people it considers to be slackers:

Quote:
Under current rules, work-eligible able-bodied adults without dependents and between the ages of 18 and 49 can currently receive only three months of SNAP benefits in a three-year period if they don’t meet the 20-hour work requirement. But states with high unemployment rates or a demonstrable lack of sufficient jobs can waive those time limits.

The new rule imposes stricter criteria that states must meet in order to issue waivers.

The new plan will strip states’ ability to issue waivers unless a city or county has an unemployment rate of 6% or higher. The waivers will be good for one year and will require the governor to support the request.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trum ... quirements

Their belief seems to be that if you take their food away, you will make them desperate enough to go out and find a job, and people always having a job and earning money themselves is assumed to always be a good thing.

One concern about this for me is that this would give employers greater leverage over low-income workers and force them into situations where they do not have time to follow other pursuits that they may find more beneficial. It may force people facing discrimination or who have low job skills to have to settle for a crappy low-paying job. They may also have undiagnosed conditions like depression that interfere with their ability to get a job, but would not be able to get the disability exception because it's undiagnosed.

Don't worry. This is will only be until a Democrat POTUS takes over in 2020. Then the floodgates will be opened to gush out lots of free stuff for eveyone. Even for those in the US illegally.

Who would pay for all of it?

Well, I know that Ezra also supports universal health care, so let's hear from him how we'd pay for it and what the best plan would be for the health care part.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 6:08 am

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Again, how do average citizens like us spot SNAP/Welfare fraud? What are the signs? What should we look out for?
I don't see how that is an issue. The issue as I see it is how the government decides who is eligible and who is not. I think the conversation got side tracked over the issue of people who qualified selling their food stamps and whatever...
Oh, quite right ... sorry about that.

I'm just one to focus my righteous indignation on things that I can influence or control, that's all.

Carry on!

In the case of my step-daughter, she was a skeletal white girl who took her dealer with her to the grocery store. They bought the things on his list and after, he gave her an amount of cocaine that was less than what the groceries were worth. Because after all, he preferred cash not food. I will add that most dealers don't go with, but she was beautiful. So, I'd say to be on the lookout for skeletal white girls, who don't look like they're eating what they're buying.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:27 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Glad to see that they are not targeting children, elderly or disabled.

Actually, I would suspect that the people to be kicked off of food stamps probably include a lot of people who really are disabled but just aren't lucky enough to have someone to help them through the byzantine process of applying for SSI.

Also I would suspect that the people to be kicked off of food stamps probably include a lot of undiagnosed autistic people who can't get jobs because prospective employers just don't like them.

Also, some economic consequences: Cuts to food stamps will likely result in some food stores in poor neighborhoods being put out of business, due to a combination of fewer customers and more shoplifting, resulting in more people losing jobs and fewer jobs available for the people being kicked off of food stamps.

Cutting food stamps is generally a bad idea. It's not a lot of money per person, so it's not a lot of money being saved by the government. And cutting it is more likely to encourage crime than encourage people to seek legitimate jobs that they're already having great difficulty finding.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:33 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Maybe 700,000 starving people will be enough to kick off the next civil war? :wink:

No, but it will probably kick off a lot of shoplifting and probably a few murder-suicides.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:42 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Glad to see that they are not targeting children, elderly or disabled.

Actually, I would suspect that the people to be kicked off of food stamps probably include a lot of people who really are disabled but just aren't lucky enough to have someone to help them through the byzantine process of applying for SSI.

Also I would suspect that the people to be kicked off of food stamps probably include a lot of undiagnosed autistic people who can't get jobs because prospective employers just don't like them.

Also, some economic consequences: Cuts to food stamps will likely result in some food stores in poor neighborhoods being put out of business, due to a combination of fewer customers and more shoplifting, resulting in more people losing jobs and fewer jobs available for the people being kicked off of food stamps.

Cutting food stamps is generally a bad idea. It's not a lot of money per person, so it's not a lot of money being saved by the government. And cutting it is more likely to encourage crime than encourage people to seek legitimate jobs that they're already having great difficulty finding.

That would be unfortunate, but what do you suggest? I belong to a few FB pages and so many of the members are self-diagnosed. They will even secure, show up for and be found normal via Neuropsych testing, but scream and yell that they've been hard done by. It's the most bizarre thing, it's like they WANT to be ASD. There are some odd people out there, but they don't qualify for disability. There must be some standards, don't you think?

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:43 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Maybe 700,000 starving people will be enough to kick off the next civil war? :wink:

No, but it will probably kick off a lot of shoplifting and probably a few murder-suicides.

Which can lead to a violent revolt against the government.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:45 am

There’s a thread, elsewhere here, on this phenomenon—known as “learned helplessness.”

It’s best to not even enter the whirlpool that is dependency.

It’s like the Roach Motel. Once you’re in, you never get out.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There’s a thread, elsewhere here, on this phenomenon—known as “learned helplessness.”

It’s best to not even enter the whirlpool that is dependency. It’s like the Roach Motel. Once you’re in, you never get out.

Well unfortunetly my mom decided to check me into the Dependency Motel when I was just a kid and she refuses to let me check out.

I've pretty much given up and accepted the fact that I'm screwed for life.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:50 am

beneficii wrote:
https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/trump-administration-tightens-food-stamp-work-requirements

Agreed.

Also, in terms of government spending, cutting food stamps is being penny-wise and dollar foolish. As I said, it's likely to encourage crime (because how else are people going to survive if they can't find a legitimate job?), and keeping people in prison costs the government A LOT more money than food stamps.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 8:59 am

Now...I believe in Food Stamps and all these “entitlement programs” as a societal safety net.

I don’t believe we should cut off 683,000, or 700,000, or whatever from Food Stamps.

But I do believe we should seek to discourage dependency. Discourage the multigenerational dependency.

We should provide incentives for people to train on the new technology.