Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 5:09 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Funny, here in Australia we mostly use fossil fuels like coal, and our price of electricity went up in the last several years. That there have even been calls to have the government get involved.

I take no strong stance on the price of electricity or what the main factors are, I just don't automatically believe what I am told. I suspect that these factoids regarding the price of renewables are very selectively and carefully calculated, like every politically important statistic.

https://www.ft.com/content/788005cc-d3e ... 7ebd53ab77

Gas is ‘not a low-carbon fuel’, UK watchdog rules
Equinor should not have implied gas was environmentally friendly energy source

You've got to hone your BS detector. Why are natural gas companies so excited about solar and wind, if it means the eventual death of their industry? Hint: it doesn't.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 5:39 am

Mikah wrote:
You've got to hone your BS detector. Why are natural gas companies so excited about solar and wind, if it means the eventual death of their industry? Hint: it doesn't.

The take I have had on such companies running ads that kind of excitedly talk about introducing renewable energy programs is because it is a publicity stunt where they say that they will do something as to create a good image, without actually having to do anything any time soon. Their promises may just be mostly symbolic, and also put there to stop any movement to call them out.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 5:48 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Mikah wrote:

The take I have had on such companies running ads that kind of excitedly talk about introducing renewable energy programs is because it is a publicity stunt where they say that they will do something as to create a good image, without actually having to do anything any time soon. Their promises may just be mostly symbolic, and also put there to stop any movement to call them out.

It's because they've come to the same conclusion I and others have, that building renewable infrastructure will all but guarantee the continued burning of fossil fuels - because solar and wind just. ain't. gonna. work. for the reasons I stated earlier. I tell you what they are terrified of: nuclear power becoming popular again. They are behind much of the anti-nuclear rhetoric, historical and present.