Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 10:59 am

What is "suspicious" about the Gospels?

The Romans killed many, many Christians before Christianity was legalized about AD 300 within the Roman Empire.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2019, 11:28 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
What is "suspicious" about the Gospels?

The Romans killed many, many Christians before Christianity was legalized about AD 300 within the Roman Empire.

I am glad you asked. One of the very suspicious things about The Gospels is precisely its idea of loving and forgiving one's enemies--one's Roman Enemies at that. This is precisely why I assume that the Romans were motivated to forge them, in order to induce the Ancient Judeans/Israelites into being nice, and obedient, to said Romans rather than endeavor to seek revenge by overthrowing said Romans. If I am correct, it is indeed the most brilliant form of Psychological Warfare ever!

Sadly, the Gospels led to Christian Anti-Judaism, and the belief that Jews are literal Children of the Devil, Satan's Spawn as it were (John 8:44). Mind you, I think I may be a Deist. After all, Christianity-- Roman Catholic Christianity in particular-- seems more than a bit anti-Jewish for my taste!

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 11:45 am

That’s clever, but I suspect too clever.

Developing such an elaborate mythos would’ve required too much time and skill in the days before people could quickly read something.

I don’t think people understood how to manipulate people the way modern cult leaders do.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 12:27 pm

Metal Rat wrote:
forgiveness, loving one's enemies, and doing good to those who do one evil, sound eerily like Buddhism.

That's just three different ways of saying the same thing. So you've only pointed out one similarity. Meditation doesn't feature, there is no mention of Satori or enlightenment. Buddha said that there would be other buddhas in the future. In Buddhism all phenomena will be anihilated in the third Kalpa (great fire) including the self. There is no mention of reincarnation. According to Buddhism the Buddha nature is your natural state, you are Buddha, there is no Messiah. The list goes on.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2019, 12:59 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:

Developing such an elaborate mythos would’ve required too much time and skill in the days before people could quickly read something.

I don’t think people understood how to manipulate people the way modern cult leaders do.

I suspect the Romans decided to tinker with The Holy Scriptures for their own ends. Besides, the Gospels were written long after Jesus Christ was Crucified, assuming he ever existed at all.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 1:05 pm

Metal Rat wrote:
Twilightprincess wrote:

I suspect the Romans decided to tinker with The Holy Scriptures for their own ends. Besides, the Gospels were written long after Jesus Christ was Crucified, assuming he ever existed at all.

But they’d have no way of knowing how influential such writings would be.

Mistakes have been made on account of translating and copying by hand, but I doubt there was any conspiracy by governmental officials...

As far as what specific manuscripts were chosen to be included with others, that’s where things get somewhat interesting. Books were often chosen or not chosen based upon the current theology and whether or not a work conflicted with the known cannon. But that has more to do with church officials than the government.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 1:08 pm

The Romans would have done no such thing.

They thought the Holy Scriptures was a mortal sin against THEIR beliefs.

They were doing enough to the Christians without seeking to make them "passive" by adulterating the Gospels.

The whole idea makes absolutely no sense---if you ask me.