Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Dec 2019, 12:56 pm

It is really interesting to me: Civilization has such good connotations in the English Language, yet Savagery has such evil connotations in the same language. I wonder: how exactly did Civilization originate and develop over time? And, I do not mean merely the physical infrastructure of Civilization (the roads, buildings, and other things), but our very moral ideals of what it means to be Civilized at all.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 1:29 pm

It’s a gradual and complex process to go from a small, familial tribe to a large civilization.

A world history textbook from prehistoric times to the present would be pretty enlightening as would anthropology.

I recently devoured an art history book that gave me a better grasp on this progression than anything else so far.

I don’t think people use the word “savage” anymore on account of its negative connotations. “Civilized” isn’t limited to those who have a European background or cosmopolitan values.

Last edited by TwilightPrincess on 10 Dec 2019, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 1:44 pm

Maybe ancient aliens created humans by infusing ape DNA with that of hive creatures like bees and ants or naked molerats? :chin:

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.