Conservative promise of a hard Brexit would be worse

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 8:54 pm

Full title that I can't fit in .
"Conservative promise of a hard Brexit would be worse for the UK economy than Labour’s radical spending plans"

Quote:
The outcome of the UK’s 2019 general election will have lasting consequences. The stark difference in choice between the two main parties pours cold water on the idea that politicians, their manifestos and their electoral campaigns are always “all the same”. Especially when it comes to the economy, there is a massive gulf between Labour and Conservative proposals.

What prompted this election was the inability of parliament to resolve Brexit. Yet the two major parties have devoted little time to actually explaining how Brexit will affect the country’s future. Nonetheless, what is on offer is a clear choice between doing Brexit (the Conservatives) and ending austerity (Labour).

In many ways these two options are inextricably linked, of course. Research shows that parts of the country that were badly affected by austerity saw a large rise in support for the UK Independence Party and Brexit. But, having surveyed the academic literature on the economic effects of Brexit, it is clear that “getting Brexit done” will deeply hurt the UK economy across the board and likely cause austerity to continue.

https://theconversation.com/conservativ ... ans-128570

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2019, 10:20 pm

Econmist Mark Blyth thinks,5 years post Brexit, Britain will be back to being okay-ish.
The question is, who would have to take the blame - or why would Labour do this to themselves? - so his guess is: either Corbyn gets to fundamentally reform Britain, or the Tories will have to Brexit and deal with the aftermath, and Corbyn gets to watch the party of Margaret Thatcher fall apart.

I like Corbyn.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

11 Dec 2019, 2:24 am

Article doesn’t actually talk about the impact of Corbyn’s policies at all so think the headline is a bit misleading. Yes, some of his pledges have been criticised for being impossible (the tree planting pledge foremost amongst them) but the main concern is that he wants to spend a lot of money nationalising things at below market value, which could be terrible for investor confidence and doesn’t offer any benefits.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 3:25 am

The Tories will probably get a majority anyway , and do their utmost to f*** the country up even more for another 5 years.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2019, 8:44 am

My opinion is that they have had three years to come up with a deal,no it's time for brexit to happen,deal or no deal.Enough debating and just make brexit happen whatever the consequence.

Metal Rat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Dec 2019, 12:30 pm

Breaks my heart! Though the British, the English in particular, may think they are hurting the Germans by leaving the EU, they may, indeed, end up hurting themselves. After all, what if Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland decide to, in their turn, succeed from the United Kingdom? What then?

Brictoria
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 1:20 am

vermontsavant wrote:
My opinion is that they have had three years to come up with a deal,no it's time for brexit to happen,deal or no deal.Enough debating and just make brexit happen whatever the consequence.

The problem has been that without being in a position to threaten to walk away (no-deal), all the negotiations look to have been made in a way that was either directly against Britains interests, or not in the best terms that could have been made - It's like being told you have to purchase an item, but you are only permitted to buy from one store, even though there are others that may have better prices/offers/support etc....The store has all the power, while the buyer is in a "take it or leave it" position.

Should the Conservatives win, it will lessen the EU's position as they can't just put whatever they want in, knowing it has to be accepted and also knowing that if they don't offer "reasonable" terms then none of the things they wanted kept will be in place following the split.

Personally, I don't know if the conservatives WOULD have followed through with a no-deal if they had the option to do so, but preventing them from at least being able to threaten to do so was probably one of the worst moves that Labour could have made...They would have been much better placed to require any potential deal to be confirmed by parliament, but leave open the "no deal" possibility, as it looks like they would have had the numbers to prevent that outcome. Now (if the polls are correct), they could lose the chance of retaining any of the things they may have wanted (and may have received) by not having allowing the conservatives to negotiate with the EU on equal terms with all options open, but the ability to veto any deal they did not like (which I guess was any deal that involved leaving the EU).

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 6:26 am

Brictoria wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

The problem has been that without being in a position to threaten to walk away (no-deal), all the negotiations look to have been made in a way that was either directly against Britains interests, or not in the best terms that could have been made - It's like being told you have to purchase an item, but you are only permitted to buy from one store, even though there are others that may have better prices/offers/support etc....The store has all the power, while the buyer is in a "take it or leave it" position.

Should the Conservatives win, it will lessen the EU's position as they can't just put whatever they want in, knowing it has to be accepted and also knowing that if they don't offer "reasonable" terms then none of the things they wanted kept will be in place following the split.

Personally, I don't know if the conservatives WOULD have followed through with a no-deal if they had the option to do so, but preventing them from at least being able to threaten to do so was probably one of the worst moves that Labour could have made...They would have been much better placed to require any potential deal to be confirmed by parliament, but leave open the "no deal" possibility, as it looks like they would have had the numbers to prevent that outcome. Now (if the polls are correct), they could lose the chance of retaining any of the things they may have wanted (and may have received) by not having allowing the conservatives to negotiate with the EU on equal terms with all options open, but the ability to veto any deal they did not like (which I guess was any deal that involved leaving the EU).
The whole point of my post was to say that after three long years Britain has forfited the right to worry about what is best for Britain,and now it's time to just leave.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2019, 6:52 am

Metal Rat wrote:
Breaks my heart! Though the British, the English in particular, may think they are hurting the Germans by leaving the EU

Oh don't you worry Metak Rat we put all if that behind us as soon as we got our hands on their hifi equipment and cars.