Page 7 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 11:38 pm

Legato wrote:
history_of_psychiatry wrote:
My opinion is that "god" is not a deity or being seperate from the universe. God IS the universe. Everything that exists everywhere makes up one large, infinate universal consciousness. In that sense there is divinity in everyone and everything. Since there is no "big guy in the clouds watching over us", god can't prevent bad things from happening.

I share the same general belief. Welcome to Pantheism.

The only deviation I really have is that the universe, and the universal consciousness I would call energy, which is my "god" or whatever. Energy has no purpose or will, but it definetly exists, and everything in the universe is composed of energy. The only thing energy does is change, and time is nothing but us watching energy change. :) When you die, your energy meets with the earth's energy, and it changes again, sometimes to grass energy, or worms consume it to live, but the circle of life continues. This deviation can be classified as Neutral Monism.

Side note: I also think that rocks and stars are just as alive as we are, they just live longer and we don't know their language. :D Energy is Life.

I agree totally. I am somewhat of a pantheist. In my opinion, it is the most plausible theory. And yes, energy can only change. It can't be created or destroyed. This is why I believe that when you die, you don't just simply cease to exist. What happens to all the energy and emotions that made you "you"? It can't just simply disappear. And as for that stars and rocks being alive, that is actually a concept called "animism". I somewhat agree with that too. Who says the scientific definition of life is totally accurate? Rocks and stars are made of molecules and atoms just as we are. My girlfriend told me that when she was a little girl, she believed that when nobody was in the room, all the furniture would come alive and have conversations with each other. I told her i thought that was cute. Then she told me she sorta still believes that to an extent. Most furniture is made of organic material. According to animism, the furniture IS alive. The universe is our god. The solar system is just a type of atom and vise versa.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 11:54 pm

Phagocyte wrote:
Trugen wrote:
he allows it to happen so that we grow closer to him

Yeah, sickos rape and murder children so they grow closer to God.

If that's true, then God is hardly any different from Satan.

I'd debate that there is no Satan - more God putting us up to trials, perfect bliss tends not to be the best mental state to learn or gain strength in.

Legato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2008, 11:58 pm

Nambo wrote:
Hi Legato, have to disagree here, God put the tree of knowledge of good and bad in the garden of Eden, and told us NOT to eat from it, he only wanted us to know good, not bad as he knew full well that bad is something us mere Humans havnt got the will or strength to resist.

Like I said, I was trying to make logical sense of the God argument for why bad things happen, and I acknowledged that I deviated from Holy Roman Christian Dogma. I don't believe in this being you call God.

Nambo wrote:
You are right that he wanted us to have a choice, hence the placing of the tree in the first place, the choice being to obey him and let him decide for us, or to reject him and see for ourselves the error of knowing bad.

Exactly my point. Perhaps the tree is nothing but a symbol of this idea.

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 12:50 am

God is dead.

joejohn
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2008, 4:34 am

Bayle's theory of God

This explains about free will and the extents of abilities god may or may not have.

history_of_psychiatry
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 12:13 pm

Kalister1 wrote:
God is dead.

That's Neitchze (sp?)

Jaded
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:33 pm

Sounds more like Trent Reznor to me.

How can a mythological, fictional being prevent bad things in reality from happening? that's what I want to know *munching popcorn*

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2008, 8:47 pm

history_of_psychiatry wrote:
Kalister1 wrote:
God is dead.

That's Neitchze (sp?)

Voltaire.

I saw this as graffiti when I lived in Texas. It's on I-35E near Carrollton I think.

Voltaire wrote:
God is dead

God wrote:
Voltaire is dead

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 2:52 am

Assuming God's existence:

Q: Why does God allow evil in the world?

First there's individuality and freedom of choice (also known as "reasonable self-determination), which accounts for human induced evil. I could go into all sorts of word games as to the definition of evil, but everyone seems to have a pretty good idea what it is with minor discrepancies. I also know that everyone does right in their own eyes, even if they see it differently later. If you've ever done anything you agree is wrong, ask yourself "Why?" because you are your own eyewitness to the inner workings of human nature.

Second, and more controversial although I see as correct, are the effects of the curse after Adam violated the one command God gave him. He did his part in choosing, as head of the human race, what our stance toward God would be. Did God know what Adam would choose? Yes. Did God control Adam's thoughts and make him sin? No. The plan of salvation has been in existence eternally, but are we robots because of it? No.

God is Sovereign, but He allows some freedom in this passing world. You have choices and they result in consequences.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 6:07 am

But if God allows some people to have the freedom to harm and take the life of others, what is the point of praying for, say, a loved one to recover from a disease?

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

15 Feb 2008, 6:51 am

Phagocyte wrote:
But if God allows some people to have the freedom to harm and take the life of others, what is the point of praying for, say, a loved one to recover from a disease?

ALL people are free to harm others.

In my own miniscule experience of prayer ( since deciding to believe in god about 3 weeks ago) i have only thought of praying for someone else once, and what happened is that i immediately realised that i was presuming a good deal in believing that they needed anything else than what they had. So my prayer in the end limited itself to "thinking" of them with hope. I suppose. And i got, in theory at least, that i don't know what is "best" for other people. I need reminding about that constantly! :lol:
I don't think i believe it actually has any effect on the person being prayed about, ( except in so far as may help me behave more understandingly/acceptingly/supportively with the person in question afterwards). But i am open to believing otherwise. :)

8)

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 10:54 am

ouinon wrote:
Phagocyte wrote:

ALL people are free to harm others.

In my own miniscule experience of prayer ( since deciding to believe in god about 3 weeks ago) i have only thought of praying for someone else once, and what happened is that i immediately realised that i was presuming a good deal in believing that they needed anything else than what they had. So my prayer in the end limited itself to "thinking" of them with hope. I suppose. And i got, in theory at least, that i don't know what is "best" for other people. I need reminding about that constantly! :lol:
I don't think i believe it actually has any effect on the person being prayed about, ( except in so far as may help me behave more understandingly/acceptingly/supportively with the person in question afterwards). But i am open to believing otherwise. :)

8)

I have fairly weak faith when it comes to believing God will answer my prayers, but I have seen prayer been answered in relation to the last day my dad was alive. I just see it this way: God is NOT a force to be controlled; He is the one in authority and He decides what He will do and not me or anyone else.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:00 am

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
I have fairly weak faith when it comes to believing God will answer my prayers, but I have seen prayer been answered in relation to the last day my dad was alive. I just see it this way: God is NOT a force to be controlled; He is the one in authority and He decides what He will do and not me or anyone else.

I agree, and if you take all of Scripture together (specifically, God's love for us + His infinite knowledge), the only logical conclusion is that God denies our wills only when He's got something better planned. (As in: most of the time.) And in that case, I use wisdom in saying, "Please, yes, go right ahead -- don't listen to my foolish prayers which pale in comparison with your grand-scale perspective." I've even prayed that before! I'll say a prayer that sounds selfish or short-sighted upon reflection, I'll sense He's showing me that, and then I'll say, "Don't listen to this foolish man, Lord!" I try to remain cognizant of the wise saying, "Be careful what you wish for." A Biblical example is Solomon asking for wisdom from the Lord, and that wisdom being quite naturally accompanied with great sadness, as Solomon later reported. One wonders if he would have rather not had the wisdom? That depends on the person, I think, though truly no one wants great sadness! But the benefits of wisdom can outweigh the sadness it brings.

Last edited by Ragtime on 15 Feb 2008, 11:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:09 am

If there was a God he wouldn't be man's janitor, he shouldn't have to clean our own mess.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 11:59 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
If there was a God he wouldn't be man's janitor, he shouldn't have to clean our own mess.

He doesn't have to, no. There is a difference between necessity and desire however.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2008, 12:33 pm

Well, It is not a deal of not having to do it but more of a deal of having to not do it. In many ways God would have the obligation to avoid cleaning our own mess as much as possible.