List of American English vs British English words

Page 7 of 7 [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 11:43 am

In the South, the indoor faucet is sometimes called a "spigot." If it's an "outdoor faucet," it is called a "spigot" in all areas.

We call water from the faucet "tap water." So "tap" is in American English, too. Occasionally, "tap" is even used for "faucet." Especially in the sentence: "Could you get me some water from the tap?"

In bars in the US, beers are given to people "on tap," if it's not from a bottle. Where the beer originates is similar to a faucet---if not actually a faucet.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 02 Jan 2020, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 11:54 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
smudge wrote:
Flashlight = Torch

Torch in America is a device flame comes out of used to light or burn something. What would that be called in the UK?
[youtube]Video[/youtube]

I'm pretty sure that's just what we call a blowtorch or a flamethrower. There's a difference between those two though. I think flamethrowers spray out a lot more fuel.

Lol at those uses for a blowtorch.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 4:08 pm

A torch is just a burning stick held high to illuminate. That's what they used for portable illumination back in the days of old.

In the UK the just transferred the term "torch" to battery operated portable illuminating devices. What Americans call "flashlights". Makes sense.

A blow torch shoots a flame. And its called that on either side of the Atlantic apparently.

A military "flamethrower" actually shoots a stream of flaming liquid ( typically a mix of gasoline and oil) fhat can actually coat the target in flaming liquid. A lot more than shooting a flame at a target like a blow torch.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 4:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
A torch is just a burning stick held high to illuminate. That's what they used for portable illumination back in the days of old.

In the UK the just transferred the term "torch" to battery operated portable illuminating devices. What Americans call "flashlights". Makes sense.

I thought this might have been where it came from too.

naturalplastic wrote:
A blow torch shoots a flame. And its called that on either side of the Atlantic apparently.

A military "flamethrower" actually shoots a stream of flaming liquid ( typically a mix of gasoline and oil) fhat can actually coat the target in flaming liquid. A lot more than shooting a flame at a target like a blow torch.

They use blowtorches for small things like cooking.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2020, 7:23 pm

I moved this from another thread.

smudge wrote:
Hmm, another to add to the American English vs. British English thread. Lol, in England we have another name for "knob".

Here is a link to an interesting article you may enjoy:
88 very British phrases that will confuse anybody who didn't grow up in the UK

For example: "Sod's law" - A British axiom that boils down to the idea that: "If anything can go wrong, then it definitely will go wrong."
"Sod's law" is often used to explain bad luck or freakish acts of misfortune. This is more commonly known in the US as "Murphy's law."

Murihiku
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2020, 11:43 pm

UK - US

Aeroplane - Airplane
Bonnet - Hood (for cars)
Boot - Trunk (for cars)

There's the rub, the task.

– Virgil, The Aeneid (Book VI)

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2020, 6:51 am

Not gonna list either terms because, well...

From my experience, Philippine English kinda uses both American and British English terms (not just the two), and is likely confused if not switching between the two. :lol:
Or make certain equivalent terms into something a bit more specific. On top of having it's own terms that confuses both American, British, or any main English speakers/readers.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.