Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 2:22 am

Or just a quack?

My lawyer and I are going over my medical records for my disability case and we printed up and read the phsychiatrist's notes form my last incarceration in the psyche ward. I had just had surgery and I needed to be in a safe and sensory regulated place in order to try to recover from my surgery for a few days because I was having too many big meltdowns in my house from people's stereos. Of course there is no such thing as respite for HFAs in my area so the best I could do was to force myself to be admitted to the psyche ward at the local hospital. It was not ideal but I had no other options. I explained my predicament to the ER staff and they were fine to let me go up there. But the next day I had an interview with the psychiatrist. I tried to explain to him why I needed to be there but he kept arguing with me that I was not going to be allowed to stay. But I refused to take no for an answer because the only other option was for me to go home and in the two hours that I had been home after the surgery, I had literally just gotten discharged, I had had five massive meltdowns and I knew that if it was going to be a big meltdown weekend, I might not have enough strength to survive it because I was still pretty weak from the surgery. So I stood my ground and spoke very assertively to the psychiatrist and told him what I thought of him. He finally agreed to let me stay for the weekend until Monday. Fortunately it was just enough time for me to get enough rest so that I could go home and continue to recover out of immediate danger.

When I read his report I was pretty shocked. In our five minute interview which was basically an argument about why I should be allowed to stay, he came up with all these diagnoses about me. He said I had Cluster A, Cluster B, and Dependent Personality Disorder. He also said I had rule out Autism and rule out other things, and that I was using bizarre medical jargon that made no sense like saying that I was neurologically fragile and vulnerable and that I needed neurological recovery.

Now many of you have known me for quite a few years now. Do any of you think that I have any of these diagnoses that he gave me after assessing me during a five minute argument? Or do you agree with me in thinking that he is a complete and ******* quack?

Wreck It Ralph

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2019, 5:50 am

It could be that the person had to justify to someone else (maybe their manager) why they had to let you stay and to do that they had to put something in the report they were writing even though it might not be fully accuate.

Maybe they told a white lie to help you out and let you stay?

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2019, 6:10 am

harry12345 wrote:
It could be that the person had to justify to someone else (maybe their manager) why they had to let you stay and to do that they had to put something in the report they were writing even though it might not be fully accuate.

Maybe they told a white lie to help you out and let you stay?

That's a lot of elaboration for a white lie.

I think there's just some mental health professionals who'd rather see people as defective than trying to understand the person. Mental health support for chronic conditions is not good. Not that I know what country you're in, but it seems to be a fairly consistent reality.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

chemicalsandotherpeopleswords
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Dec 2019, 6:51 am

I don't think you should trust the assessment of an extremely busy, somewhat hostile stranger you have no reason to trust who knew you for five minutes.

"I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right!"

"Congratulations to the dry eyes, and consolations to the nice guys"

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

14 Dec 2019, 7:01 am

chemicalsandotherpeopleswords wrote:
I don't think you should trust the assessment of an extremely busy, somewhat hostile stranger you have no reason to trust who knew you for five minutes.

Yeah, I agree.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 7:06 am

It's not impossible that you have those things. If you did however , it would require more than a 5 minute interaction with a pdoc to say for sure .

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Dec 2019, 7:51 am

chemicalsandotherpeopleswords wrote:

Precisely.
He was a complete jumping-to-conclusions quack, not to be trusted.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 9:33 am

Are you sure it wasn't one of the other patients, one who thinks they're a doctor?

Also medical jargon that doesn't make sense to professionals is how everyone not trained has to explain what's wrong when a doctor asks them. Saying you needed neurologically recovery because you were neurologically fragile and vulnerable would make complete sense to most laymen, NT or not.

He's doubting your Autism? well I'm doubting he's a real psychiatrist and with a lot more reason.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 11:08 am

"neurologically fragile" 300 results using Google UK

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 2:20 pm

Yeah, I put no stock in what he says at all. I was just shocked at the extent of quackery when I read his assessment last night. And I explained my circumstance in detail so he should have understood. He also said that I was malingering suicidal ideation and stayed hostile until he decided to let me stay. And in truth, I explained to him that even though I have suicidal thoughts all the time from being overwhelmed and socially bullied all the time, that I know exactly how to manage these thoughts and I am never in danger. But it doesn't mean that I am malingering. And of course I was hostile until he let me stay. I wasn't about to be sent back home to have more meltdowns while I was in a neurologically critical state after my surgery. I had to make sure I could stay if a sensory safe place for a few days. But this is what he was accusing me of.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 2:23 pm

firemonkey wrote:
"neurologically fragile" 300 results using Google UK
I am going to take a look!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 2:25 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Are you sure it wasn't one of the other patients, one who thinks they're a doctor?
LOL!! !! :lol:

fluffysaurus wrote:
Also medical jargon that doesn't make sense to professionals is how everyone not trained has to explain what's wrong when a doctor asks them. Saying you needed neurologically recovery because you were neurologically fragile and vulnerable would make complete sense to most laymen, NT or not.

He's doubting your Autism? well I'm doubting he's a real psychiatrist and with a lot more reason.
I agree with you!!

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 9:34 pm

I am wondering if he is trying to set me up as a malingerer.

Wreck It Ralph

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 9:42 pm

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2019, 10:20 pm

I was reading some of my previous medical notes. I found the notes from when I was 302'd the first time. My neighbor had been blasting a car stereo and I was going into severe meltdowns to the point where it was becoming critical so I called the police. It took the police 45 minutes to get there. I actually saw the police drive up and saw the person with the stereo drive away right before the police got there. The police took me in handcuffs to the hospital because by then I was feeling suicidal even though I feel suicidal all the time from social bulling and over stimulation so for me feeling suicidal is like getting a paper cut. I just deal with it and get over it. But the cops brought me into the hospital. Of course, since the person with the stereo had just driven off as the cops were coming, they never heard the music. So they told the doctors that I was hallucinating the music and that it wasn't real as if cars can't drive away. I just read in my report that they wanted to prescribe me with two anti-psychotics because of my "hallucinations." Good thing I refuse all medications.

Wreck It Ralph

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 3:34 am

^It sounds to me (not that I know much) that you need regular access to peace and quiet. Do you live in a city?