Re-emergence of people having milk delivered

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 10:41 am

According to the BBC there has been a rise in demand for milk being delivered to domestic properties in UK.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... ss-bottles

I love this bit of news.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 12:31 pm

I bought that service here in the States for five years with the children were young. I always wanted to visit the local farm and see "our" cows, but didn't get around to it.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2019, 2:21 pm

When I was young we had milk delivered to our doorstep from a local dairy. Glass bottles which were washed and returned. There was an insulated silver box the delivery man put the milk in. Deliveries were early in the morning.

My class also took a trip to the dairy - I think it was called Cloverleaf Dairy - and watched the conveyor belt with the bottles get filled with milk and then little paper caps were pressed into the top.

The milk was not skimmed and the cream out rise to the top.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2020, 7:22 pm

We got milk delivered to the silver box when I was little too. We also had a service that delivered Potato Chips, and other snack foods, in reusable cans. It was named Charles Chips.

I believe the cow's gotta go to stop CC. I am starting use almond milk and have been eating lot's of the fake meat for awhile.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 10:35 pm

LOL this brings to mind Dougal being a milkman (in place of Pat Mustard who was having affairs with all the women on Craggy Island as he made his rounds). That was probably the best episode.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 10:48 pm

My mother's house still has a milk box in the wall.

I love the idea of milk delivery!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 11:19 pm

Borden delivered when I was a kid but it was in cartons.We also had the Charles Chip potato chip delivery in big tins.
I’m glad this is making a comeback.It was wonderful when the Borden’s milkman rolled into the driveway in summer, ice cream bars delivered right to the house.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 2:25 am

I used to have a pint bottle of milk delivered to my doorstep until the mid-late 1990s. Unfortunately it seemed to get stolen quite often, and I had to cancel. The milkman was an old-fashioned 'cockney' type Londoner, who always addressed me as 'Guv'!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 3:49 am

We drink plant based milk at home....

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 4:19 am

Hi baby bird, good to see your posts again :)

blooiejagwa wrote:
LOL this brings to mind Dougal being a milkman (in place of Pat Mustard who was having affairs with all the women on Craggy Island as he made his rounds). That was probably the best episode.

Ah yes... "Speed" lol.
Heard stories from people who lived in towns that they had to race the birds to the milk bottles, before they pierced the foil cap.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 6:20 am

My grandma still had milk delivered in Islamabad- I remember she would take the cream off and make it clotted cream and serve that for breakfast with thick pancakes (similar to the Jewish potato pancakes).

However, now she stopped getting that milk, in favour of Organic everything which you have to get from the farmer's market yourself. She forbids meat or eggs or milk now -- unless it's organiC...which is a big deal considering they are not well off and that stuff is expensive.

I'm quite proud of her as she came to this herself despite being uneducated and from a village. She learned about what is done to animals the other way eg. battery hens- and is against it morally as well as from a health perspective.

I noticed much of the older (older than my parents) generation especially ones from villages --are more forward-thinking and willing to change based on what they learn (about anything) compared to their own kids.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 6:49 am

We had milk delivered in a milk crate by my apartment door until the early 70s.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 9:56 pm

Yes we had milk crates in the 1970s, my younger sister used to come out in the mornings on the front porch in her nappy and pull the bright shiny bottle tops off much to my parent's delight and they would take pictures. Not sure how many bottles we lost :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 10:33 pm

Anybody get soda delivered to their home by a company called Hammer?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 3:29 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We had milk delivered in a milk crate by my apartment door until the early 70s.

Yes I loved watching the milkman in his milk cart. He delivered cream and orange juice as well. Silver tops for low fat and gold tops for full cream milk. The opening of supermarkets made it less lucrative to deliver milk.